Latkes aka potato pancakes

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
my new kitchen passed the latke test with flying colors. Made them last night for the last night of Chanukah (frying in deep oil) and this morning no smell of oil in the house. That powerful new fan over the cooktop REALLY did the job.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mmmmmmmm......latke's!!

My husband and were just talking about them. It's been a tradition with us for many years to make them for Christmas breakfast and we were trying to figure out if it's worth the while doing it in the electric skillet (no kitchen). It's not so much the mess of cooking, but the mess of cleaning up afterwards (in a bathtub).

You fry yours in deep oil? My mom used to make them like that. We have a different method where we use grated potato, egg, flour and seasonings. We shape them into patties and pan fry them in, you got it, bacon fat!!

They are really decadent aren't they!?!?!?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have a good latke recipe? I didn't get any this year or last year
So I'm hoping to make my own...

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Does anyone have a good latke recipe? I didn't get any this year or last year
So I'm hoping to make my own...
If no one responds with a real latke recipe, I'll give you mine for potato pancakes, which is basically the same, although it is a polish recipe and not jewish. I don't know if there is much of a difference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
all "jewish food" is international because we have lived all over. Mine are really easy. I grate 4 potatoes and one onion, ( increase proportionally) drain the excess liquid. add two eggs and flour or matzah meal, until it looks not too runny. salt and pepper and parsley and then I fry them in HOT peanut oil, drain them on paper townel because they ARE decadent. I eat them with cranberry relish.

I agree that wou wouldn't want to have to clean up from it in a bathtub.
these were my best over and I dont have that horrible smell today all over the house. Tomorrow night I am making brandied chick breasts. yummmmmmmmm.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abigail

I grate 4 potatoes and one onion, ( increase proportionally) drain the excess liquid. add two eggs and flour or matzah meal, until it looks not too runny. salt and pepper and parsley and then I fry them in HOT peanut oil, drain them on paper townel because they ARE decadent. I eat them with cranberry relish.
That's basically my recipe but I substitute parsley with a dash of garlic powder. and use regular flour rather than matzah meal. I personally like them with applesauce over the top.

Uh oh, now I'm drooling!!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love latkes. I could eat them every day. I like apple sauce on the side with mine. Never tried them cranberry sauce.