Why do I have to have a perscription for flea stuff

dark_waltz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know where I could get the frontline spray (without having to trek to the vets to get a prescription)
Its soo near Christmas and I don't know why they need a prescription for mere flea stuff!
*rant over*

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because the flea stuff your using is an RX .... aka prescription... Think about you .. you cant just say give me this anitbiotic at the pharmacy without a RX

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Frontline and Advantage don't require prescriptions anymore.

Just do a google search and you will find what you need. Only caution is if you buy online make sure they guarantee that it is not a knock off.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just do a google search and you will find what you need. Only caution is if you buy online make sure they guarantee that it is not a knock off.

Not a good idea. If something goes wrong with the application, you have a recourse with your vet being the supplier. Some of the advantage and frontline available online can actually be so diluted you would be better off bathing your cat, or worse still it can harm your cat. It all depends on where it is actually from. My email files are full of letters from broken-hearted cat owners wishing they had bought the flea treatment from their vet instead of eBay or somewhere else.

You don't need a prescription to buy Advantage or frontline at your vet's office. If you buy it elsewhere, you best be sure you know what you are getting

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you from the UK, Dark Walz? I have a vague recollection that you are, but I might be thinking of someone else!

Anyway, if you are you can get frontline from here

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?mai...11d9861e90f07b

It will be cheaper than getting it from your local vet too and it is the real thing. Too late to get before xmas now but it usually comes in about 2 days. I ordered some feliway from there on monday and it arrived on wednesday, even with xmas post.

Advantage isn't available from online vets as it's a prescription drug - although you should be able to pick some up from your vet without an appt or taking your cat in. I think they are supposed to have seen your cat within the previous 6 months or something in order to dispense it.

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

Are you from the UK, Dark Walz? I have a vague recollection that you are, but I might be thinking of someone else!

Anyway, if you are you can get frontline from here

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?mai...11d9861e90f07b

It will be cheaper than getting it from your local vet too and it is the real thing. Too late to get before xmas now but it usually comes in about 2 days. I ordered some feliway from there on monday and it arrived on wednesday, even with xmas post.

Advantage isn't available from online vets as it's a prescription drug - although you should be able to pick some up from your vet without an appt or taking your cat in. I think they are supposed to have seen your cat within the previous 6 months or something in order to dispense it.
That's where we got out frontline from. The next time we get it though I'm going to get a prescription from the vet for the stuff that he uses because not only is it stronger, but it dries a lot quicker so we don't need to worry about our kittens licking it off of each other.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some Petcos and Petsmarts carry Frontline, Revolution, and Advantage. You may want to check with other clinics locally though--sometimes they have better deals.