Egg & Muffin Toaster - Where have you been all my life?? :)

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Last night some friend's of ours came over and we exchanged christmas gifts. They got us a Kitty Picture Frame, and one of those flashlights that doesn't use batteries (you shake it to get it to work. neat!). The best gift (IMO) was the Back to Basics Egg & Muffin Toaster. http://www.eggandmuffintoaster.com/

Unbeknownst to them, my wife hates eggs, but I love making breakfast sandwiches. I just hate thawing the bagel, cooking the bacon, pre-heating the frying pan, standing there while I fry an egg, making sure they all finish around the same time so they're warm, washing the cheese covered spatula, and waiting until the frying pan cools off before I can wash it. Time consuming
*lol*

What this thing is, is a 2 wide slot toaster with an egg poacher on the front. You add water to a heating tray, crack an egg and put it in the poaching tray, then you can put pre-cooked meat in the warming tray above that and it keeps everything warm. The toaster is designed so that if you want to make a sandwich, it starts the egg first, then the toast so that everything is done around the same time. The toast usually ends first but doesn't actually pop until the egg is done, so you know when it's time to eat

I could go on and on about it, but instead, if interested read the review I put on www.epinions.com http://www.epinions.com/content_295327403652

I'll just say here that it does work, and the final product comes out quite tasty. I definately recommend it

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We looked at them at Target yesterday as evidently DH hasn't seen the adds. I was wondering how it works-quite well I guess!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

We looked at them at Target yesterday as evidently DH hasn't seen the adds. I was wondering how it works-quite well I guess!!
I've never seen an ad for it either.

I'm making 2 hard cooked eggs with it now so I'll report back on how that works. The measuring cup that comes with it has a spike on the bottom that you need to use to punch a hole in the end of the egg if you're hard cooking it so it doesn't explode. All I can say so far is that you have to be careful
I started poking the hole and then grabbed the egg too tightly to finish making the hole and it broke. Woops

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I just got done from making 2 hard cooked eggs. Actually, I made them "medium" hard cooked eggs (halfway between fully hard cooked and soft cooked). You choose how "done" you want the eggs by how much water you put in the heating tray.

Anyway, it only took 10 minutes and they came out great! I did have a slight problem where one of the eggs "boiled over" and egg foam came out of the top of the egg. I called customer service (they answered quickly but unfortunately it's not toll free) and was told that's normal. The egg was fine. One of them fell apart while I was shelling it, but I don't know if that was the boiled over egg or not. Making them this way vs. using ALOT more water, bringing it to a boil, and then having to clean a pot. Plus, they are easier to handle after cooking instead of being scalding hot like after conventional boiling.

I think I'm going to become a rabid fan of this thing

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I wanted one of those last year! But I never actually got one yet!
You're better off that you didn't buy one last year. I read that older models, even at the beginning of the year had problems with the coating on the poaching tray flaking off and the handle breaking. So far mine is great. The poaching tray on mine has a metal handle vs. plastic on the older models so it's more durable.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

One of them fell apart while I was shelling it, but I don't know if that was the boiled over egg or not.
Probably was. Sounds like the egg was a little stale (perfectly safe to eat, but much more fragile - shells and yokes). I like my yokes intact, so stale eggs really annoy me (I'm OCD).

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I got one of these wonderful things for Christmas, its AWESOME!
I'm using it as we speak, my scrambled eggs and toast are soon to be done!

Anyone who is thinking about getting one - should! Two thumbs up from me!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I got one for Earl last year for Christmas and we LOVE it! Earl likes poached eggs, I prefer scrambled and it does both just perfect for sandwiches.
Thats why I love it too - John prefers poached and I love scrambled, what I love is that there's practically no cleanup! YAY!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man, I just saw a cool something like this at Big Lots. Toaster oven with griddle on top and coffee maker on the side. SUCH COOL STUFF nowadays!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting looking piece of kitchen equipment
Glad you are enjoying it.

I have an old stainless steel toaster that is probably from the 40's or 50's. I had to replace one element and fixed the cord. I love that toaster so much that nothing will entice me away from it, LOL