5 week old kitten poopy help!

minx|bacardi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all!

I am fostering 2 x 5 week old kittens for the first time as nobody deserves to be homeless and abandoned for xmas!

As reccomended by the people that gave them to me i was to try and mix some wet food in with the dry and if it makes their poops soggy, mix less.

Well clealy I have mixed too much and theres lil runny poops

One of the little mites has got it stuck all round his bits, especially lots stuck like, right to the bottom of his butt hole (i'm sorry this is so graphic!)

I have tried wiping it with a warm towel - no success I'm scared to cut it being in the place it is, I dont want to 'hurt' anything

Is he too young to have a little shallow bath? When im trying to wipe it off with a cloth even he's meowing quite distressed like, the last thing I want to do is distress him, I'm just not sure he can remove it himself!

Any help would be muchly appreciated!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm first ok Thanks for fostering these 2 babies. Second I would be very careful giving him a bath. If it was just horrible. Then I would probably dip his rear (just wear the poo is) in some warm water wash it out and then make sure it gets totally dry. I would not wash his whole body. Hes still pretty young. I would worry about him. Hope that helps. Good Luck!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cycle some dry towels in your dryer for about 10 minutes, then give the kitten a half bath. The warm water will dislodge the loose stool clinging to the kitten. If the stool is still inside of the kitten and hanging out, don't pull on it. The water should dissolve it. The warmed towels will keep the kitten extra warm. Your worst enemy right now is dehydration, to stop the runs use this recipe

Hoskin's Formula for Kittens
3 egg yolks
4 oz. plain yogurt (don't use low-fat)
3 oz goat's milk
3 oz water
Blend well and feed to kittens until diarrhea is gone.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What hissy said is great but I wanted to make sure you aren't using clumping litter as well. Kittens that young will tend to not only sample a taste or two but sometimes they will sit in the box and it clumps to their bottoms and if not caught right away will harden and make a huge mess around their butt area. I have seen kittens get infections that way. Just FYI in case

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by minx|bacardi

One of the little mites has got it stuck all round his bits, especially lots stuck like, right to the bottom of his butt hole (i'm sorry this is so graphic!)
i really dont think there is any other way to say it lol

these folks here pretty much answered your questions...I just wanted to make you feel at home and let you know...we've all had a run in with poopy-butts! no fun!
Stewie used to get it EVERYWHERE...between his little toes once when he stepped in it..yucky!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minx|bacardi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your help!

The little one still has the runs

I'm going to call the vet at the centre that arranged the fostering tomorrow and see if i can get in or what they reccomend.

Its so hot over here at the moment and the last thing i want is little kitten getting dehydrated.

When he poops theres often a bit of 'harder' long looking thing in it - im concerned this might b a worm?

I guess only the vet will be able to confirm

I just wanna b a good mummy to these lil' guys and feel terrible that he's not well

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing great. And the best advice if you think something is wrong, is call the vet. I agree with your decision to do so, since the diarrhea is continuing. If the vet wants to see the kittens, be sure to take a fresh poo sample with you. They can check it for worms.

You can check the kitten for dehydration by pinching up the skin over the shoulder blades...if the skin pops right back down, it isn't very dehydrated. If it stays up, kitty is in trouble. By the way, if I was concerned about a kitty, I wouldn't hesitate to call the vet, even if they pass this test!