Why do people?

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feel the need to touch strangers bellies. Ok Im normally a very nice polite person. I hate hurting other peoples feelings. But this has seriously started to bug me. I would never walk up to someone I dont know and start patting their bellies. What if the person wasnt pregnant and just had a belly? I have managed to get over everyone giving me advice. Ive gotten used to it and just say thanks Ill keep that in mind. But I dont like people touching me! I dont mind a hug every once in a while from a close friend. But the only people who are allowed to touch me on a regular basis is John, my mom, Kaidence and my nieces. My friends if they hug me Im like ok pat on the back done. My mom I dont really mind but I dont like her kissing me and I dont ever kiss her. My nieces and Kaidence can give me kisses and hugs. But everyone else I just feel weird touching and being touched by. Its a huge problem for me. And I really dont like people coming up and rubbing my belly! I need my space. It took John a while to figure that out. In my sleep Im very cuddly but otherwise I pretty much want to be left alone. I'm just venting. I got to thinking about it when I went to tell John goodnight he patted my stomach. And I started spouting off on him how I hated strangers doing that. Anyways thats all.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would never dream of touching the belly of someone who's pregnant - I wouldn't do it to someone who's not pregnant so why would it change to someone who is???

It always amazes me when people do that.... I'm not a touchy feely person either. DH and I always hold hands, and cuddle and so forth, and with other certain people I love being close to, but unless I'm REALLY close with someone I don't like it.

I can imagine when I get pregnant if people do that to me, I'll probably just put my hand back on their belly and see how they like it!!

Amber, I don't know how you put up with it!!!

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
haha, that would be great. "see, how do you like it?"

I have never touched a pregnant woman's belly. That's just rude. When I was 14, these two girls in my class would touch our teacher's pregnant belly every day. I couldn't for the life of me understand why they felt so comfortable doing that. But she didn't seem to mind, or maybe she just let them and had lost patience with telling people to stop.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say, I love touching pregnant bellies! But only with permission. I do think it's something people need to be reminded of - it's a very unconscious thing - like smiling at a baby in a pram or a dog that's being walked.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ouch that would be bad. I very seldom touch anyone unless they touch me first.

lol on the other hand, why do female friends and family always grab my hand and stick on there stomach and say can you feel it kicking haha
a female friend of 15 years just did that to me last weekend. good think i dont blush or i am sure i would have

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Get a t-shirt that says, 'if you touch it, I'll smack you'.
lol how about that say
if you touch it ,
you pay the first year college bill

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand it either how strangers think they can touch peoples bellies..thats just weird. Just because your preggo doesn't mean your more inclined to like strangers touching you
Its creepy to me.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never touch unless I've been given the permission...even then I still feel weird (I don't ask for the permission either, I'll do touch if its offered, not to offend the woman).

If their strangers, maybe make up something where you start crying...i.e. tell them that you aren't pregnant or make up something that you were going to have twins but one of them died and you have to carry both to full term.

???

I do dislike impulsive people though that feel that they can do whatever they want to.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I agree with that! Or else just smack them without warning!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

Originally Posted by lunasmom

Ooo...or freak out on them and scream saying "You're hurting the baby!"

I like both of these. I really don't understand some people's need to invade a pregnant woman's space. I would never dream of touching someone without their permission.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those things don't really bother me - I'm a touchy-feely kind of person and enjoy physical contact.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with a lot of the comments, you wouldnt touch a mans belly so why is it ok to touch a pregnant womens belly

But hey you should see the Spanish and personal space.........well it DOES NOT EXIST

queues..........up close and personal.......thats if you consider a group of people waiting....is a queue (you know a line in the States)

and dont get me on about beaches...........
you find a spot with about 5ft sq free around you then all of a sudden 10 families join you and set up a major camp site..........I tell you its mad..........

but let me also tell you the Spanish are so lovely
so it just takes a little getting used to

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a family friend pat my belly after she found out I was getting married. She had the nerve to think that the reason I am getting married is because I'm pregnant. I was shocked and offended!! When I told her that I'm not pregnant she went on a rant about how I'm too young, I was 23 at the time and wil be 25 when I get married, and how I should wait. All this when her daughter is younger then me got married over the summer. I am still mad about that...

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hated it when someone touched my belly. I don't even ask pregnant ladies when they are due because I hated it, I almost had my due date tattoed on my forehead so people would leave me alone.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Those things don't really bother me - I'm a touchy-feely kind of person and enjoy physical contact.
Me too. I dont touch strangers pregnant bellys, but I have with people I know.

There is a girl, I always talk to at the pet store, shes pregnant and I just rubbed her belly the other day, I hope I didnt offend her

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This is soo funny! Very good idea!

Or how about "don't touch what you can't afford!"

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh geez, I would be furious. Both times my sister was pregnant I only touched if she asked me too, and I was the person that went into the delivery room with her!

You're making me think that when Brian and I decide to have kids I should get a shirt printed that says,"Before you ask my due date is 00-00-00, we think its a boy/girl, and so help me if you touch my stomach I WILL hit you!"

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eburgess

I had a family friend pat my belly after she found out I was getting married. She had the nerve to think that the reason I am getting married is because I'm pregnant. I was shocked and offended!! When I told her that I'm not pregnant she went on a rant about how I'm too young, I was 23 at the time and wil be 25 when I get married, and how I should wait. All this when her daughter is younger then me got married over the summer. I am still mad about that...
Oh my. It is extremely offensive to make those kinds of assumptions about others.