my cat has cat bite...should I taker her to vet?

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning while petting my 12 yr old cat Zena I felt a scar forming from a bite injury - its between her shoulders. Zena is strictly indoor which means my cat Monty attacked her and bit her..(he plays very rough - stalks her and pounces on her like prey) I had a couple of cat bites myself and both times - last year- I had to go on antibiotics. Do cats heal up or could this turn into something serious? She's eating and acting ok so far, the scar is not oozing pus or anything. There is some slight redness - there's about a 1/2 inch scar between her shoulders. Monty is also vaccinated and strictly indoors. We have a new cat also - a third one and Monty attacked him a couple times and now he's afraid of Monty so I have this new cat separated. I don't know what to do.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat bites can get infected. Can you call your vet and just go pick up an antibotic?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get her checked - especially if there is redness as an abscess can form under a healing bite.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes I agree, take your kitty to the vet. In the past I have had 2 cats that have suffered cat bites and one of them turned into an abcess. It's best to get her on antibotics early.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are correct. I took her to the vet last night and the vet got her started on Clindamycin capsules. Almost got my finger bit putting that in her mouth...hope I can avoid a cat bite now!

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FishTreatsMom

You are correct. I took her to the vet last night and the vet got her started on Clindamycin capsules. Almost got my finger bit putting that in her mouth...hope I can avoid a cat bite now!
Your vet will probably sell you a "piller" to give Zena the pills. The vets always use them. I have two. One I bought at the pet store that has too big an opening to be useful and one I bought from the vet for $2 that is what they use.

I still just pop the pills into my cats mouth because I am such a klutz when it comes to using anything like that. I do keep in mind that the vet said she couldn't afford a cat bite since that would interfere with her job and if I were really afraid of being bitten I would learn to get comfortable with the "piller".

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you did get her seen. I had a cat get bitten by our other cat once and since it left a big wound we went right to the vet once I found it. The vet put her on antibiotics and all went well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm...the vet may have a piller but she didn't offer me one. Anyway I'm using a different technique now..putting on my winter leather gloves...they still give me enough dexterity to pill her and protect my fingers well enough. I get her ready by giving her a treat before and after the pill so its not so traumatic for her.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, a cat bite on another cat or a human closes up very quickly and infection can set in. This bite could abcess which is bad.

Please get the cat to the vet ASAP to have it checked out.

They say a cat bite is worse then a dog bite because it closes up in mins! Same goes for cat scratches - they close up quickly.