Bell's Palsy strikes twice

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if any of you are familiar with it, but I came down with it in December of 2001. I initially thought I was having a stroke, but soon discovered that it was, in fact, Bell's Palsy, and I had complete paralysis of the right side of my face.

With acupuncture treatments, a low dosage of prednisone and a lot of positive thinking, I was able to recover almost completely from it.

Well, it is happening again, this time to the opposite side of my face. My smile has changed since this morning, and the paralysis is slowly settling in. It is scary, but since I've been through it already, it is just a little LESS scary.

No one knows for sure what causes it, but it has to do with inflammation of the cranial nerve. Some think it is a virus, so antivirals are given along with steroids.

I've just left a message for the acupuncturist that cured me 5 years ago, and I hope to see her as early as tomorrow. I'll also be calling my doctor, but it is too late in the day today to get ahold of him, and there is nothing he could do for me in the onset of the symptoms anyway.

I'm so upset right now - I did NOT want facial paralysis for Christmas.
Nor the $700+ acupuncture bill to cure it.

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could add "quick and full recovery for Betsy" to your list of prayers and wishes. Within a few days, I won't be able to smile without facial distortion, I won't be able to close my left eye at all, everything I eat will taste like metal, my speech will be affected by the lack of motor control on one side of my mouth - it is so emotionally debilitating to go through this just once, never mind again. And there is a possibility that I will never regain my facial movement.

Please God let that not be the case.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lots and lots of healthy and healing vibes to you, Betsy!

I only know a tiny bit about Bell's Palsy because Def Leppard bassist Rick Savage had it in the early '90s.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man thats not the thing you want going on right now. I hope the acupucturist (so spelling) can work his magic on you once again.
Sending vibes to you{{{}}}}

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had it once a few years ago too. Definitely scary. I can't remember what the doctor gave me, other than eye drops and a patch since I couldn't blink or close my eye, but I think it didn't last much more that a week. I'm pulling for you. Hopefully, this episode won't be as bad as the first one.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oof! My Grandfather has also had Bells Palsy twice. The first time there was some kind of shock therapy he did from home. I'm not sure how he treated it this last time, but he was able to almost fully recover from it the second time. I think when he's tired you can tell in his speech a bit, but otherwise you can't.

I'm deffinately praying this quickly rectifies itself for you.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending many healing vibes your way, Betsy.

My Grandmother had Bells's Palsy several years ago. I know she went to therapy and it did go away.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many {{{healing}}} vibes for you, Betsy. Perhaps if you can see the acupuncturist promptly the worst of the symptoms can be averted or alleviated. Have positive thoughts that you will recover quickly.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm praying for you! My brother in law had that once as a child! I can't imagine!

(((())))

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
{{{vibes}}} for you Betsy. You will be in our thoughts. I had a friend that had one episode of it about 15 years ago, thankfully making a recovery like you mentioned. I just know you will do the same.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lotsa vibes and prayers, Betsy. I have limited knowledge of this condition, but am aware of it. I have encountered people who have it, but not people I was close enough to to be able to gain any more than superficial awareness. However, I can well imagine how discouraging it would be. I hope you have a quick resolution.

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw, big hugs for you!

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Many years ago, a woman in my workplace had an episode of Bell's Palsy. She was given high does of B-12 and did not miss much work at all.

Wishing you a speedy, perfect and lasting recovery!