Do you open any

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gifts on Christmas Eve? We have done that since I was a kid and now I do it with my own kids.I give them a choice of 3 gifts and they can pick ONLY one to open.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband's family has always celebrated Christmas on Christmas Eve. So we open all of the gifts from his side of the family on Christmas Eve.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We open all our gifts on Christmas eve(from each other). When we were young enough to believe in Santa, we opened gifts from him on Christmas morning. Mom finds it futile to buy gifts from Santa when the kids are 15, 19(me), 24, & 27!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh wow
we do that and like you only ONE gift............its a wicked idea
we also have table gifts with our dinner.......only small gifts, never rude or funny ones, they must be serious - it carries on the "opening" thing just a bit longer

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to open the gifts from my grandparents on Christmas eve. But they stopped sending stuff years ago. Altough I did recieve gorgeous flowers from my dad's mom last night!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

We open all our gifts on Christmas eve(from each other). When we were young enough to believe in Santa, we opened gifts from him on Christmas morning. Mom finds it futile to buy gifts from Santa when the kids are 15, 19(me), 24, & 27!
We did the same thing when I was growing up, but even if my children are at my home for Christmas now, Santa still brings them a present.

Santa is gonna bring my husband a present on Christmas morning.

We do the same thing with the Easter Bunny, he still comes to our house and brings baskets for everyone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Santa brings gifts for mine also.He wraps them in a special wrapping paper too.The kids see his gifts first on Christmas morning.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to open gifts from extended family on x-mas eve but now that we have more than one family to see we fo mine on x-mas eve and his on x-mas. Oh, and when Santa comes to our house (which he still does even though I'm 27 and my brother is 32) he never wraps gifts. Oh, I do have a niece he visits but he comes for me and my brother too.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every year my nana and grandad would give all the grandchildren a Christmas ornament on Christmas Eve. My nana passed away in 2005, but had purchased ornaments that year and put them aside to give to us, so we still got our traditinal Christmas ornaments last year. This year, however, I don't expect to receive one: it was my nana's tradition, and I don't see my grandad continuing it without her.

We might get to open our Christmas presents from my grandad, aunt and uncle on Christmas Eve this year, but only because J and I won't be around to see them on Christmas Day -- we're driving to J's folks as soon as we're done brunch on Christmas morning. This hasn't really been discussed yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to be there when we opened our gifts.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope.... My Mom wanted to open our gifts on Christmas Eve this year. My brother and I looked at each other and said "Why"? She was very disapointed. It was kind of funny. I just like getting up early and opening gifts. Then we go to brunch and gifts at my aunts then home for a few hours then to my Grandmothers for dinner and more gifts. Christmas has always been a huge family day. I love it!!!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no, we don't. But when I was smaller, my mom would always give us a gift from her & my dad....and it was always new pjs. This way we would have new clean jammies on for our pictures in the morning!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We did when I was growing up. Every Christmas my parents would give my brother, sis and me 3 boxes each of ice cream, that we could eat directly out of the box and have all to ourselves. Thats what we would get on Christmas Eve our 3 boxes of ice cream.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

We did when I was growing up. Every Christmas my parents would give my brother, sis and me 3 boxes each of ice cream, that we could eat directly out of the box and have all to ourselves. Thats what we would get on Christmas Eve our 3 boxes of ice cream.

Christmas Eve is for DH and I only, and we have dinner and open our gifts alone together, because it's havoc when his GROWN children come here on Christmas morning, you would think they were 5

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up, no we didn't open presents the night before, but when I was about 12 and started making money from babysitting, I bought everyone christmas presents and that year everyone got to open the presents I worked really hard to get them the night before. It's now the tradition that the night before christmas, that we each get one pressie to open.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We always open most of our gifts on Christmas Eve in my family. Then on Christmas Day we open our big gift and our stockings
(This year on Christmas eve- we're doing a Secret santa and a dirty santa gift exchange since we're all short on $$$
) It's soo much fun!
) For Christmas Eve we will be going to my sister kimmy's house (which is WEIRD!!! We ALWAYS go to my other sister Monica's house...but this year since kimmy has a house now, she wanted to entertaine
) Then Christmas day, we're going to mine/my mom's house
/ After Christmas, Colin and I are going to Mobile, AL to have a late Christmas with his family
/ I'm also 1/2 Jewish as well...so I usually celebrate Hanukkah as well. Not this year though. I will next year though
/ Normally for Hanukkah, i don't do gifts- I bake instead and do nice dinners every other night
Then for Christmas I do gifts. It's kinda like a combination
We do Christmaukkah
Even my church (which is a massively huge southern baptist church with a population as big as most small towns) we celebrate Hanukkah there as well
I think it's really nice. / I can't wait to have kids someday and celebrate the meaning of both holidays with them
I'll probably do the same thing with them- cooking/meals/baking for Hanukkah and then gifts/ and christmas dinner on Christmas and Chrismtas eve. We'll see!

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we used to open our presents from our grandparents when we were kids, but about the time we became teenagers they started sending money instead. Around the same time I came into contact with a tradition that my family has adopted readily, and I will bring into my own family when I have one...it is opening a new pair of pj's. That way you get a new pair of pj's for christmas eve, and get to be warm cozy and good lookin for Christmas morning.

Looking forward to my pair for this year. I asked for a pair of Joe Boxers with christmas trees on them, but my new apartment is so warm that i don't know if I'll get them or something lighter weight.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up, we always had a huge dinner on Christmas Eve, and then sat around and the adults drank a little wine and we all passed presents around very leisurely. The whole thing probably takes 5 hours. Christmas morning was always reserved for stockings and joke presents (or Santa until I was about ten) and then rushing around to go visit other family, etc. Christmas Eve is the real celebration to me, the "real" Christmas, and Christmas Day was just recovery and visiting family I didn't much care to see anyway

It will be the same this year! It would be unnatural to do that during the day, without the twinkling lights and candles and big dinner beforehand.

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We always got to open ONE present the night before.

We still do. The next morning was our big morning with all the presents then off to my aunts house for linner and more presents and family and friends.

My aunt passed, so holidays are much more subdued now, but still special.

I do miss her, though.

And LOL @ a box of icecream! that's a great tradition.