Moving to another state

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your close with your cats, they generally are happier to be with you, even if a new home. Though there are a few people here who have had some upset kitties from moving and they sometimes have disturbing ways of expressing thier discontent with the situation! One example is peeing and or pooping on your bed, or other areas of the house...............To try to make it as easy as possible for you and them, try keeping them in designated areas, one floor or 1-2 rooms gradually opening up the space. Make sure you have litter boxes on each floor of the house, definitely one for each cat from start. Lots of love and talking to them and you should have a happy familly! Goodluck and Happy Holidays!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have moved with my cats, although it wasnt to another state.

When I got them to their new home, I had planned to leave them all in one room and let them get adjusted. A few hours later, they were wanting out of that room, so I let them. I walked with them while the looked and sniffed around and within 24 hours they were right at home in their new home.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've moved myself and my cats from Chicago to Houston, Houston to Kansas City, then just recently from Missouri to Kansas. There were both tame and feral cats involved.

Most cats took the move without any issue at all. Others hid under the bed for a while. If you plan in advance you should be OK. Every move situation is different and should be planned differently.

If you share more details about what you are moving from and what you are moving to, and the timing related to that move, people can probably give you more advice.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We moved from the midwest to the east coast last year- and frankly I was stunned how well all my cats made the trip and transition with us. Good planning makes the trip easier for everyone involved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vinny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Florida - Loving and helping strays every day
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I've moved myself and my cats from Chicago to Houston, Houston to Kansas City, then just recently from Missouri to Kansas. There were both tame and feral cats involved.

Most cats took the move without any issue at all. Others hid under the bed for a while. If you plan in advance you should be OK. Every move situation is different and should be planned differently.

If you share more details about what you are moving from and what you are moving to, and the timing related to that move, people can probably give you more advice.
Thank you all for the replies. I am moving from a house in Florida (the only home my baby has known) she showed up outside my driveway when she was accroding to the vet only 5 weeks old and now she is 6 yrs old, ok, we are moving to Tennessee but it also will be a house. She is used to living with me and my husband and when we move, my mother and aunt will come with us and with them their poddle who loves cats but it will be the first time my little one is exposed to a dog and on top of that a new home.
The poddle will be at my house here in Florida for a couple of months before we move to Tennesse so in a way by the time we move, I hope my baby is already used to the dog and then will come another change, a new home.
I am terrified that she could run away. She is an inside cat so I already told my husband, mother and aunt that they have to EXTRA CAREFUL when they open doors. I think I dye if she runs away. Do you think I should try to keep her in only one room for a while?

vinny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yorda

We moved from the midwest to the east coast last year- and frankly I was stunned how well all my cats made the trip and transition with us. Good planning makes the trip easier for everyone involved.
We will be driving for 14 hours from Florida to Tennessee. Any tips?

vinny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I have moved with my cats, although it wasnt to another state.

When I got them to their new home, I had planned to leave them all in one room and let them get adjusted. A few hours later, they were wanting out of that room, so I let them. I walked with them while the looked and sniffed around and within 24 hours they were right at home in their new home.
I see a photo of a dog in your post? Do you have a dog living together with your cats?. If you do could you tell me about it. My cat when we move will be living with my mother's dog, a poddle that loves cats but I am concerned about my cat. Will she ever get used to having a dog around?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once she gets to her new location, by all means keep her in a single room for a while. She'll regain herself in that space and once she seems to have settled in, allow her in more rooms.

It is very good that she will get to know the poodle before the move. Your family will need to get used to the "foot shuffle" move as you open the door for the dog. I have 2 dogs and 10 indoor cats. If my cats are by the door as the dogs exit/enter, i just use my foot to herd them away. Everyone who has both gets their own technique over time.

For the car travel: A very large kennel that can preferable hold a small litter box is helpful. Do NOT let the cat loose in the car. If she gets out at a rest stop, you will not see her again. Mine have done 20 hour and 16 hour drives. They don't like it at first but eventually settle down and become bored.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by vinny

I see a photo of a dog in your post? Do you have a dog living together with your cats?. If you do could you tell me about it. My cat when we move will be living with my mother's dog, a poddle that loves cats but I am concerned about my cat. Will she ever get used to having a dog around?
I am not a good one to ask about the dog and cat situation. I did a very slow introduction with the dog and cats. The dog in his previous home had been attacked and injured by a cat, so he is very timid with them. When I would have them in the same room together, a few of my cats would charge the dog and he would put his head down and whimper.

We have only had him almost a year a half and we never leave him alone with the cats at all. He goes to work with my SO eveyday and spends a few hours a day at doggy daycare, where he gets to run and interact with his other dog friends.

We are still introducing them, after all this time. It has gone from the cats hissing when hes around, to just calmly sitting and ocassionally they will sniff noses and butts.

Because of the reactions we got with both the cats and dog, we are just taking it really really slow. Good Luck, it can be done and it done all the time. We just chose to take it slow.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have three huge dogs (105, 88, and 80) who were introduced to our kitten last May. She was around 4 pounds at the time.

We confinded her to her a room with all of her things. The intention was to do the "correct" slow introduction. After a couple of hours, she really wanted out of her room, so we put the dogs in their room (behind French doors). She roamed the house, to all appearances very comfortable with the size and smells. So we decided to try the dog gate separating her from the dogs. They sat on their sides on the gate and stared for awhile, then the dogs wandered off. Ten minutes later, Zoey hopped the gate to visit the dogs.
Zoey has several safe areas she can access in each room. For the first 4 months, we separated Zoey from the dogs when we left the house. Only to return to find that Zoey had managed to climb into the dog's room (through a pass-through). Her carrier is on top of the huge dog crate - think penthouse. We placed the crates so she can use them to access the pass through if she wants to escape or go to the litterbox. We often come home to find that she has taken over the huge dog pillows - and the dogs are on the hard floor. We've even found her in their crate.
Zoey and Riley often perform the real life version of the old cartoon where the dog chases the cat across a hall into a room, then it's the cat chasing the dog back. Picture this with a 9 pound cat and an 80 pound Old English Sheepdog.
I do have to watch her though, she is very interested in the dogs going outside.
I'm thinking she may need a harness so she can go on walks with us.

Plan on taking it slowly, be flexible and don't trust them alone together for a long time.

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont have any dogs now. But I had an OES for 13 years. I didnt have any cats but we had two guinea pigs, which she took over and groomed and herded constantly. She was gentle and sweet with them.
Now i have two cats, my first experience ever with kitties...and i luv them. I probably won't get another dog till I am not working at all and can stay home with the *kids*

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vinny

We will be driving for 14 hours from Florida to Tennessee. Any tips?
For longer trips I like to transport my cats in larger crates that can fit a litter box, dishes, and some of their things to make them more at home. This really worked well for moving my feral and skittish cats since I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have to worry about them getting loose or stressing them out by having to open and close the crate or take them out to use the litter box in the car. It made driving straight through and traveling with a larger number of animals much easier to manage, but could have worked out well to had we had to stay at a hotel.

If she isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t used to traveling in a crate or carrier it might help to leave one out with the door open and maybe throws some treats or her favorite toys in there to encourage her to go in when she likes.

I joked with my friends at the time that Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d probably have to write a book after having to do a move like that with so many animals because I expected things to be a bit crazy, but in reality it was extremely uneventful and a very quiet 22 hours. I am sure your move will go fine too.