Anyone tried/liked goetta?

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just wondering if any of you have tried or even like goetta. In case you haven't heard of it, goetta's a big thing in Cincinnati (and I'm guessing other places). It's primarily composed of ground meat (usually pork) and oats.

Pronounced gétt-aa, ged-da or get-uh [(Americanized Pronunciation)], this dish originates from German settlers from Oldenburg, Hannover, and Westphalia who immigrated to the Cincinnati area in the 19th century. The word "Goetta" comes from the Low German word götte.
Goetta was originally considered a peasant dish, meant to stretch out servings of meat over several meals to conserve money. The modern popularity of goetta around here has led to it being called "Cincinnati Caviar." Now that's something to brag about it!

My dad loves goetta fried and served with eggs. Other people I know like it served on crackers. I've tried a goetta burger at a local festival
and there's a restaurant here that's well known for its goetta pizza.

I'm asking because I have to write an article about goetta for our next issue and am trying to get motivated. No luck so far.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ew
boy oh boy cincinnatians just think they're so special, huh, first you got cincinnati chili, now cincinnati caviar

from, a Clevelander

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

ew
boy oh boy cincinnatians just think they're so special, huh, first you got cincinnati chili, now cincinnati caviar

from, a Clevelander
What can I say except Cincinnatian's are proud of our chili and our goetta.

I'm learning a lot as I research this story. If regular goetta doesn't appeal to you, there's the all beef, extra spicy and low fat varieties. The big
goetta supplier in the area is located on Goetta Place. And, they also sell
Goetta gear, like hats and a T-Shirt that read, "Goetta Life!"

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, not me, I never even heard of it. I don't think I would try it either, I don't normally try new things to eat. I am a little picky sometimes.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a large german population in Wisconsin however I have never heard of this stuff!!! I looked in a book I have called "flavor of Wisconsin" and its not listed either. Perhaps its a Cincy food item????