vegetarians or vegans?

buffyfan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
any veggies around here? I am a vegetarian, primarily because of ethical reasons. If I value my cats and don't want them to suffer, i also should extend this to other animals. Any others around here and what are your reasons? Ever tried Quorn? it's not bad stuff!!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know there are a couple threads lying around somewhere here on this... one of them was really interesting for awhile.

Anyway, yes I am a vegetarian. Primarily, at least to begin with, for my own health. Have been for 6 years now. I also don't use milk with rare exception (like baking or something), but will eat other dairy, and do not eat eggs but will use them in recipes. There just aren't any good replacements when you are baking cookies or pancakes. There's just no way to make my Nutella Chocolate Chip cookies without eggs. As for leather... show me a shoe made of fake leather and I'll show you garbage that hurts your feet.

As I said, my main reason to begin with was my own health, but now that's tied with one of my main principles: a small ecological footprint. I do not drive a car unless it's a dire emergency, or a vacation (so once or twice a year) and I do not eat meat, because both are environmentally irresponsible, a thing which to me, in the world we live in, is unbelievably selfish, reckless, and suicidal.

What is Quorn?

The only meat in my house is the cat's. She is allowed because the health risks to her outweigh the impact of her diet. Being an obligate carnivore, it's a compromise I had to make to bring her into my life. To me, not feeding her meat is tantamount to animal abuse, and I think most members agree.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a regular, old garden variety vegetarian. I try to avoid dairy, but that also has a lot to do with me being lactose-intolerant. But I don't avoid it totally.

It's basically for ethical reasons, and like Z's Mom said, to make my ecological footprint smaller.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a vegetarian....have been for 16 years now. I choose not to eat meat because of my love of animals. I do, however, eat dairy products. I don't eat meat and I don't eat seafood.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, I'm not a vegetarian, or anything remotely close. I have a ton of GI issues- so the few things that I am able to eat I definitely won't give up. Meat is one of them for me

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I could be either. I LOVE veggies don't get me wrong but I couldn't live without chicken, bacon, pepperoni, or turkey. I am not a big fan of red meats, though but we eat hamburgers atleast once a week since my dad loves them so much. I have aquired a taste for hamburgers, but am not a big fan. I think I will go have some baby carrots and ranch now, though.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh did she mean corn as the veggie then and just spelled it different?
I love corn!
especially corn on the cob.

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*waves* vegetarian here, it's been almost five years now!

I have an evil story or two to share. I tricked my brothers into eating vegan foods. I fed my brother a vegan ice cream sandwich and he was like "mmm!" he didn't know it was soy. hehe. I'm such a jerk. I gave my other brother some fakin' bacon. He honestly didn't know the difference. Now they eat all my vegan goodies.

save me some!! lol

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm vegan. I was lacto-ovo-vegetarian for 6 years, I've been vegan for 4 years now. I live with my sister, who is lacto-ovo-veggie. The only ones eating meat in my household are the kitty cats.

For me being vegan means avoiding anything animal derived as much as reasonably possible, I'm no hardliner. In a situation where I'm invited to someones house etc. I may eat something with dairy and eggs, because I don't want to insult the host by not eating and or insist they cook vegan food just for my sake.

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be a veggie for ecological reasons till I got too ill to continue. My DH is a vegan for health resons meat and dairy products make hm feel ill and he gets lots of spots. I really do think milk is over-rated and can make you ill. DH has meat for festive occaisions like dinner because he feels bad (in the case of Christmas) to ask his mom (or whoever the host is) to make something different for him.

Quorn http://www.quorn.co.uk/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffyfan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

one more thing.. what exactly is Quorn?
it's a meat substitute that tastes a lot better than soy. It's been around in europe for awhile now and it's just become available in the US. It's at Whole foods and I haven't found it anywhere else. Here is more info: http://www.quorn.com/

I can understand not being veggie if you have GI issues! I think it's commendable for those who dont' drive unless necessary. I am actually scared of driving so could I use that as a reason? haha.

In one asian country (blanking where it is) they eat cat meat. It's totally normal for them and they think nothing of it. I remember reading an article where people protested outside a restaurant that served cat meat and the man who owned the place was so ashamed he quit serving it.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by buffyfan

it's a meat substitute that tastes a lot better than soy. It's been around in europe for awhile now and it's just become available in the US. It's at Whole foods and I haven't found it anywhere else. Here is more info: http://www.quorn.com/
Rats! The closest place to me that carries it is in Nashville, thats almost 70 miles away. I was thinking of giving it a try.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I can understand not being veggie if you have GI issues! I think it's commendable for those who dont' drive unless necessary. I am actually scared of driving so could I use that as a reason? haha.

In one asian country (blanking where it is) they eat cat meat. It's totally normal for them and they think nothing of it. I remember reading an article where people protested outside a restaurant that served cat meat and the man who owned the place was so ashamed he quit serving it.
Their web site says that I can get it at my grocery store. Do you have any good recipes for it? I'd love to give it a shot.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a veggie or vegan but I have been both in the past and still eat a lot of veggie food. Quorn is yummy esp the goats cheese and cranberry escalopes

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not vegetarian but I don't eat a lot of meat. I use Quorn quite a bit - the mince or the chunks usually. You can use them in any recipe that calls for minced beef or for meat pieces - pasta sauces, casseroles, sauced dishes. I add extra herbs as quorn tends to take on the flavour of whatever is around it. As said, you can also buy ready-prepared Quorn as escalopes and ready to heat dishes.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a vegetarian but I don't really like meat that much. I like turkey, ham and chicken but I don't eat much of it. I tried being a vegetarian like 4 years ago but it just didn't work because my parents made a lot of meat and not a lot of veggies.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We

any veggies around here? I am a vegetarian, primarily because of ethical reasons. If I value my cats and don't want them to suffer
but your cats are carnivores and you let them eat meat. Humans are omnivores. let mikey try it- he'll eat everything.

I dont mean to make fun of your ethical decision, but it's not right for every animal.