Chickens!

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine recently had to move, and she needed to find a home for her chickens - three laying hens and a rooster. We volunteered to take them (our first venture into farm animals) and my husband and her husband stayed up all night last night building the coop. Now our new family members are settled into their new home! I'm so excited... I've always wanted chickens! It was so fun to wake up and hear that rooster out there this morning. And we should be getting fresh eggs soon!
I'll post pictures soon!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love chickens ... I am highly allergic but I love to hang out with the chicks every spring at the feed store

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone!

Here are pictures...

We haven't decided on names yet, but I'll let you know when we do.
<<what a stunning main coon you have in your signature!>>

Thank you! Mikey looks very "coonish," is he also a MC?

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriends dad keeps chickens. Well he only has a rooster left. But it is neat to hear the rooster crowing in the morning as I get in the shower! Great new additions!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I love chickens ... I am highly allergic but I love to hang out with the chicks every spring at the feed store
OMG!
In all my life you're the first person I've ever come across who is also allergic to chicken.
When I tell people I'm allergic to chicken they look at me like I'm nuts!

Oh, I just thought of something maybe you're just allergic to their feathers and not them...I'm allergic to both...so while everyone else in my family has turkey for Thanksgiving I have a stuffed pork chop.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

OMG!
In all my life you're the first person I've ever come across who is also allergic to chicken.
When I tell people I'm allergic to chicken they look at me like I'm nuts!

Oh, I just thought of something maybe you're just allergic to their feathers and not them...I'm allergic to both...so while everyone else in my family has turkey for Thanksgiving I have a stuffed pork chop.
i never thought I could be allergic to the meat... but I may have to do an elimination on that
... i AM to the feathers ...I guess bird dander allergies arent common

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rina_Marie

Thanks, everyone!

Here are pictures...

We haven't decided on names yet, but I'll let you know when we do.
<<what a stunning main coon you have in your signature!>>

Thank you! Mikey looks very "coonish," is he also a MC?
Very pretty chickens! I love the gold one!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

i never thought I could be allergic to the meat... but I may have to do an elimination on that
... i AM to the feathers ...I guess bird dander allergies arent common
Well, I guess I make two of us here who are allergic to feathers!
Three if you count my dog!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Handsome looking birds.

I'm allergic to chicken feathers, too. That's why I always traveled with my own pillow when younger.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
fresh eggs! My FIL keeps chooks and we sometimes get some eggs from him. It's amazing the difference between store bought and home laid.
Your chickens are really pretty - no boring white ones!

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone, for the compliments! We're averaging about 2-4 eggs every other day, it's really exciting!

<<My FIL keeps chooks and we sometimes get some eggs from him. It's amazing the difference between store bought and home laid.>>

Okay, call me crazy but I'm new to the whole livestock thing. What is a "chook?"

Still haven't come up with names yet... I think we're just going to go with their original names, as soon as I find out what they are!

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I WANT YOUR ROOSTER! He's GORGEOUS! As far as I can tell he's a Buff Orphington, I have a hen he would look great with, and probably produce some hot babies! :p

You've got some pretty chickens, and all of those breeds are known for being fairly friendly. I've got 12 myself and despite the upkeep chickens are a ton of fun and funny as I'm sure you've found out!

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

I WANT YOUR ROOSTER! He's GORGEOUS! As far as I can tell he's a Buff Orphington, I have a hen he would look great with, and probably produce some hot babies! :p

Originally Posted by Plebayo

You've got some pretty chickens, and all of those breeds are known for being fairly friendly. I've got 12 myself and despite the upkeep chickens are a ton of fun and funny as I'm sure you've found out!
Oh, do you know what they are? I don't know what any of them are. I know that my friend hand raised them from babies, but they aren't very friendly with me. At least they don't attack me... I have another friend who's rooster attacks her on a regular basis.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are beautiful! Congrats on the new additions!!