Cat burps a lot!

chopperbates

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10 month old kitten burps all the time. I've always had cats & have never heard another cat burp! Has anyone else ever had a kitty that burps? I'm concerned that there may be something wrong with her. We're seeing the vet in a few days, but if anyone has any input, it would be appreciated!

buffyfan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure why that would happen. Any other symptoms besides the burping? Any regurgitation of food?

Vet may do a barium meal and take xrays to see if things are flowing through the GI tract like they should be. Famotidine is a possibility to reduce symptoms.

I definitely think bringing the little guy to the vet is a good idea. let us know what happens!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zissou farted all the time when I first rescued her. She had mild roundworm, and the farting got worse for a few days after the dewormer at the vet, and then has been gone since. Honestly, it is not normal for a cat to be gassy.

Are you sure she's burping? What is she eating? How are her box habits?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat burps (not like a belch, but more like an acid reflux sort of burp) after she eats. I always figured that it was ok. She gets the hiccups some times too.

jokieman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat Poe burps and hiccups on the Nutro. Personally I think it's because the food is bigger than other types and he seems to eat it faster because he likes it going in (but hates it coming out). We've given up on the nutro for him and will be dropping it off at one of the shelters soon.

My suggestion would be to try switching foods.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jokieman

Our cat Poe burps and hiccups on the Nutro. Personally I think it's because the food is bigger than other types and he seems to eat it faster because he likes it going in (but hates it coming out). We've given up on the nutro for him and will be dropping it off at one of the shelters soon.

My suggestion would be to try switching foods.
Likely your cat is eating the Natural choice you may try the max as the shape is alot easy on the I eat fast group ...

Elvating dishes likely would help both of you

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ginger almost always lets out a series of noisy burps immediately after eating wet food. Not very ladylike, I tell her!

She's quite the little trucker, LOL!!! And it isn't because she gulps, either - she's a wet food licker, and pretty much refuses to chew food unless it is crunchy. And she only burps after the wet food, not once have I heard her burp after dry food.