Can I get some good luck vibes???

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow is my review with my boss...and he is all gung ho about not giving raises..He is KNOWN for not giving raises. He always comes up with all these reasons that people shouldn't get a raise..

I am terrified to meet with him...I really need a raise and I am so worried that he will not give me one..

Please send me some "get the raise" vibes..

P.S. Does anyone know the percentage of raise I should ask for? I have never negotiated a raise before

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bring up your goals that you met during the year, along with what your goals for next year are. The key (IMO) is YOU being in charge of the direction of the meeting without being too agressive to him. Just state the facts.

As far as a percentage, see what the cost of living increase was in Canada for the last year, and start with a little more than that.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
((((((((((((((((((( GET A RAISE VIBES ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Neet gave you some great advise.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you have a list of your accomplishments this year. In the US some raises were about 3-4%.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the vibes everyone..My review is first thing in the morning..I really hope I prepared enough. I accomplished way more this year than last year and I have comebacks for anything he might say about how "I make more this year than last"..(I started getting commission when I got my licence)..anyway, I hope I at least get a little raise..I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed one

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending many good vibes your way. Good luck!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck!!!! ((((((((raise vibes))))))))). Be sure to "dress for success" so to speak
and look professional. Try and sell yourself in a way to him- let him know what you bring to the company, what you do well, how you keep things organized & profitable, etc things like that- be confident. Besides a lot of women do not ask for raises because they don't "get in there like the boys do" so to speak- so stick up for yourself- negotiate, and be willing to explaine why you deserve one! You're going to do great! Lots of vibes headed your way
Also- watch your body language during the meeting- make sure you look as confident outwards as you feel inwards (and if you're feeling a little shaky inside- don't let him know that- let your external body language come across as confident and intelligent.
) Also -about the raise- i'd say 3-5% depending on your economy and your company's profits, etc sounds fair. - remember- start off high and the if he argues it, talk your raise down a bit- but don't go from 5-3.....go from 5- 4 1/2 go down by 1/2 intervals- you stand a better chance of getting a better raise if you do that and stick with your guns

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could always tell him that if our politicians get a $22k raise, you deserve at least a small one.

The minimum wage was raised 30c per hour this year (and is going up another 25c on 1st Feb 07), so if he holds firm about not giving a raise, you could ask for a raise in line with the increase of minimum wage of 55c

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck!!!

hey now remember your boss is still just a human. there is no reason to be scared.

I really cant tell you what percentage to ask for. nice i fail at that. I just tell them what i want. If they dont meet it, i pack up and leave. hmm but i think cost of living is 3%

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again guys..I will let you know tonight when I get home.........

I just really hope I don't get emotional if he says no..I ALWAYS cry..I can't even help it..WHAT A FREAK I AM!!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck - make sure the raise you ask for is in line with inflation (so that you are being paid this year at least as much as you were last year, adjusted for inflation).

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Thanks again guys..I will let you know tonight when I get home.........

I just really hope I don't get emotional if he says no..I ALWAYS cry..I can't even help it..WHAT A FREAK I AM!!
Don't be ashamed for crying, that's what they're there for.