problem with chewing wires

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
right i try and keep all the wires out of the reach of the cats. but out of the 7 cats i have 1 of them Patch is terrible with wires , his 8 months old and since he was a kitten his chewed on them. even the ones that is connected to the wall he will chew at and rip them of the wall . chargers and things get kept up untill they have to be used , my s/o has been through about 3 chargers in the last 6 months. his getting fed up with it . i take him away when i see him doing it , clap my hands , and have tried the spray bottle. i have never had a cat who chews wires so im at a loss as to what to do about it. my s/o is talking about rehoming him if we can not reslove the problem. as i said to him he will go before my baby does . witch them leads to a big argument . so you see i need a little help with this . any ideas?
sorry was ment to say i am very worried for his saftey aswell as most of the time there pluged in and the last thing i want is for him to get a fatal shock

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mikey does the same thing.
I use a product called bitter bite
You can get it at petco and other stores like that.
just spray it on the wires and if the cat chews it leaves a bad taste.

Also make sure this cat has plenty of toys, spend one on one time with this kitten...somtimes mikey would chew on the wires just so i would pay attention to him.
Also maybe he is doing it cause he is hungry...sounds weird but maybe an extra scoop of food will help.

hope this helps!
good luck!

matt b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This sounds like it may be mean, but so would letting the cat get zapped. You might be able to wrap some double sided tape on the wire and put some paprika or other pepper. That's what I've been thinking about doing to a kitten that won't stay out of the garbage. Getting a big container of cheap pepper and dumping it in when I expect she'll be getting in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanx for the replys , i will try the spray . cant look in pet co as there isnt one in london , but will try pets at home instead . the cats have loads of toys i mean anything from mice to hanging feathers to large cat trees , i make time for one on one with the cats (who still want to play lol) the others get lots of cuddles aswell. i was on the cord phone before and he started chewing it . that might have been attention seeking . but other times he just does it . i feed twice daliy and stay there to make sure none get bullied out from the dishes , and there is always dry food left out for them with plenty of water. thanx again , if no luck with the spray i will try the tape.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bitter Apple spray - no home with pets should be without it. It works great on wires, shoes, and anything else you don't want them to chew on.

I had it raising kittens and had to use it a few times for Keno (our lab) when we first got her - she chewed 2 pairs of my shoes.

I ALWAYS have a bottle of the Bitter Apple spray in the house

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Bitter Apple spray - no home with pets should be without it. It works great on wires, shoes, and anything else you don't want them to chew on.

I had it raising kittens and had to use it a few times for Keno (our lab) when we first got her - she chewed 2 pairs of my shoes.

I ALWAYS have a bottle of the Bitter Apple spray in the house
THATS IT!
thats what it is called.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
get some plastic tubing, slice it on one side and slip it round the wires. they cannot chew through that and it keeps the wires tidy as well.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you follow the link I left for Stop Shock, the product works great to stop cats and kittens from taste testing electrical wire.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have done hissy , i thought i thanked you for the link sorry xx