Feral young male

a(tm)?ropera(tm)?

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This whole week a very beautiful feral young (9 months to a year old) black male cat has been coming around. I've never experienced this before... he is actually "staying here" I see him at 6 o clock every morning. In the late evening he shows up again at the same spot and stays the whole night. He leaves during the day.

Roper is very fascinated by his presence as I am also but he cant stay even though I want him to. Plus pretty soon are 2 German Shepherds will be coming over and that wont go over well.

He showed up while I was watching Cats theatre/musical dvd...I thought that was ironic. He looks just like the beginning of the video with the yellow eyes.

I feel bad for him. He stays by the sliding glass door. I know when he's here because Roper starts meowing and instigating by the s.g door. He watches us as we play with Ropers Christmas Kitty Toys and Cat Play Tree.

It's wierd how he comes around and interacts with Roper and talks to Simba who is above on the Second Story Deck.

Do you think he will leave or is this one of those instances where a Cat "picks" his new family.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you think he will leave or is this one of those instances where a Cat "picks" his new family.
I would recommend that you ask around your neighborhood and find out if he is owned and simply "visiting" or whether he is unowned and looking for his new owner. I would also recommend (if he is unowned) that you treat him to a day at the vet complete with a neuter (if he hasn't already received one).

Katie

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

I would also recommend (if he is unowned) that you treat him to a day at the vet complete with a neuter (if he hasn't already received one).

Katie
I dont understand. If he is unowned, cant you take him in and give him home - or at last foster him in?
Fostering will be quite easy with help of your friendly cats, even if he is semiferal. Especielly as he seems already to be friends with them!

If the german shephards are cat friendly (I guess they are - your cats...) this will not be impossible either. Command them to lie still during the first meetings.

In facts, I have heard examples friendly dogs were such "fosterings guides" - mentioned above -to a semiferal cat.

do obey Gods will.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

a(tm)?ropera(tm)?

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

I would recommend that you ask around your neighborhood and find out if he is owned and simply "visiting" or whether he is unowned and looking for his new owner. I would also recommend (if he is unowned) that you treat him to a day at the vet complete with a neuter (if he hasn't already received one).

Katie
We dont exactly...have neighbors.

We live on 5 acres....to the back of us is woods. To the left of us is woods. To the right of us is a canal. And the front of us is a very busy road.

I wouldnt be able to take him to the vet because he is feral and wont let me get to close.

* As I type he is here...Roper is playing with him through the sliding glass door again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

a(tm)?ropera(tm)?

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
StefanZ;1481165 said:
I dont understand. If he is unowned, cant you take him in and give him home - or at last foster him in?
I would love to take him in but I cant give him a home or foster him. I dont want him near my cats in less he has a vet visit (diseases..ect)

Fostering will be quite easy with help of your friendly cats, even if he is semiferal. Especielly as he seems already to be friends with them!
He is friends with Roper. Roper is a social butterfly...Simba is just a mean grouch.

If the german shephards are cat friendly (I guess they are - your cats...) this will not be impossible either. Command them to lie still during the first meetings.
They arent. Thats why I said it wouldnt go over well. They are working dogs and stay outside. Cats stay in..they rule the house lol

In facts, I have heard examples friendly dogs were such "fosterings guides" - mentioned above -to a semiferal cat.

do obey Gods will.[/QUOTE

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ♥Roper♥

We dont exactly...have neighbors.

We live on 5 acres....to the back of us is woods. To the left of us is woods. To the right of us is a canal. And the front of us is a very busy road.

I wouldnt be able to take him to the vet because he is feral and wont let me get to close.

* As I type he is here...Roper is playing with him through the sliding glass door again.
Borrow a humane trap from a shelter/humane society or a feral cat group. Once the cat is trapped, you can take him to be neutered and checked over by a vet. Neuters actually take less time to recover than spays.

Feral cat groups by state:

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html

Low cost clinics by state:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html

Learn about TNR here:

http://www.alleycat.org/visitor.html

Katie

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, as Katie says, the trick here is to take him in a trap. A borrowed human trap. Or it is even possible to rig up a common transporter box with some creative imagination.

So one of your cats if friendly, not the other. It is OK as long the other isnt openly hostile enemy. It enough if he only tolerates the new one. Shy semiferals are usually submissive to home-cats, seldom conflicts with them. It will be even easier if he is castrathed.
(non-shy male whole semiferals may be tought to the homecats...).

the dogs will not be a problem if they are outside - and he inside...

Very wise of you not to to risk contagions. Trap him. A veterinary check up, all the usual shots, castrathion. Let him then be in a own isolation room, a quarantene, a couple of weeks till the shots and deworming are working.
It doesnt need to be your best room. A cellar will do. Perhaps combined with a clean smellfree dog crate.

God wants you to help this cat. And so will you, otherwise you wouldnt write here.
Do this you should do, please!