food and AAFCO feeding trials

buffyfan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am a bit hesitant to feed my cats the "premium" brands such as Natural Choice because they are not backed by AAFCO feeding trials. Instead, they have an in-house quality assurance similar to AAFCO. With major brands such as science diet there is at least the assurance that it meets these standards. Thoughts on this?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Natural choice is in dry .. many manufactures for some reason dont do the wet..

Of the commonly avail only Natural balence is not doing feed trials

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffyfan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
do you know offhand which premium foods have been tested in AAFCO feeding trials?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All that I can think of except natural balence .... they test via breeders ... I dont know about the "organic" brands as I dont look at them

Nutro
Royal canin
Purina
Science diet
Iams / Eukanuba

all do... NO all of these are premium in my book

all you have to do is read either a side panel for it or the back panel...

All foods in Petsmart supposedly are

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, some of those supposedly "premium" food have by-products in them, if there are by-products I don't consider them premium, Science Diet is one. 9 lives meets the nutritional standards, and I wouldn't feed that to my cats if they PAID me. To me, feeding your cats the best food comes down to reading the labels, just like human food. They sell lots of food for people that is horrible for us, but they still sell it. Look for foods that have at least the first 2, if not 3 or 4 ingredients as meat, not by-products, but actual meat or meal

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Well, some of those supposedly "premium" food have by-products in them, if there are by-products I don't consider them premium, Science Diet is one. 9 lives meets the nutritional standards, and I wouldn't feed that to my cats if they PAID me. To me, feeding your cats the best food comes down to reading the labels, just like human food. They sell lots of food for people that is horrible for us, but they still sell it. Look for foods that have at least the first 2, if not 3 or 4 ingredients as meat, not by-products, but actual meat or meal
well put though i do use one meat one grain foods so meat is not the first fiew just the first ( if you get a one meat one grain food make sure meal is the meat)