considering getting involved

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vanilla it works wonders ... that with bach rescue remedy made Kandie okay Zoey... Put a bit of vanilla under her nose when you get home

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abigail

I want to help out in my community and I hesitate because will the smell of other cats on me when I come home affcet my cat Abigail? she has never met another cat (directly) and I am not sure she would like the smell.
I always change my clothes (wash the clothes I've worn) and take a shower after volunteering. Although you hope you never have a cat that has ringworm or a URI..it's best not to risk bringing those home to your existing cat. That also takes care of "smelling" like the other cats.

Katie

middletown

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

I always change my clothes (wash the clothes I've worn) and take a shower after volunteering. Although you hope you never have a cat that has ringworm or a URI..it's best not to risk bringing those home to your existing cat. That also takes care of "smelling" like the other cats.

Katie
Is also what i do.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BTW....figure out now what you would best like to do and then find a group that will allow you to follow your passion. For instance...if you like talking to people, then find a rescue group that shows their cats at local petstores (like Petsmart)...believe me, you will be expected to be part behaviorist, part vet and part psychologist. If you are more into working directly with the cats...volunteer to clean cages and interact with the cats at a local rescue or shelter group. If you feel drawn to helping with feral cats....then volunteer with a local TNR group....you can assist with trapping or possibly at a feral cat clinic (something I do and I LOVE). In any case...thank you for wanting to get more involved. I find the more I know...the better of an advocate I can be.

Katie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never thought of the change clothes////

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I volunteer, I do the work that most people don't like to do: fundraising. I chose that in part because I'm a sucker for a fuzzy face and can't afford to bring any new cats home with me. I also do it because rescue groups are always desparate for money and I'm able to ask people for donations - most people I come across in rescue are good with cats, but bad with asking for things.

It's just another option if you want to help but not handle cats.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

When I volunteer, I do the work that most people don't like to do: fundraising. I chose that in part because I'm a sucker for a fuzzy face and can't afford to bring any new cats home with me. I also do it because rescue groups are always desparate for money and I'm able to ask people for donations - most people I come across in rescue are good with cats, but bad with asking for things.

It's just another option if you want to help but not handle cats.
I have great respect for people who can fundraise on behalf of the kitties.

Katie

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whatever capacity you end up being involved with, you'll definitely find it rewarding. Thanks so much for your willingness to help the kitties!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try out if Abigail is friendly to other cats.

If yes, a always needed help is to foster in semiferals.
Shy semiferals arent that difficult to foster in - IF you have help of own cat.
Have preferably a quarantene room (a dog crate may do) if you are taking in other cats.

But whatever you do. Make sure she is fully vaccinated.

And like the others said. Change clothes and wash hands in between your work with homeless cats and your own cats. So you will be safe - not sorry.

Good luck!

linda_of_pgff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Diana,

Please, do get involved. Although the scent might intrigue and even briefly upset Abigail, she will surely get accustomed to it over time. Just like if you leave home briefly, and Abigail might be a little bit miffed at you for a while, she will come around as long as you continue to be a loving and attentive companion to her. So, you see, YOUR attitude is what will make the most difference. Abigail's kind need you .. they need us. Though she may not really understand that (my own cat is like this), somehow you feeling good about doing the right thing for other creatures will communicate itself to Abigail, I am sure.

linda_of_pgff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, and another thought ...

Anyone who can't do work *hands-on* with cats and kittens, but whose heart is touched, should seriously consider becoming involved as a Humane Educator. TRUST ME, there are very, very few folk teaching humane ed who have much clue about cats -- most especially about feral cats. If we are EVER going to change how most people feel about feral cats, I think we have to start getting the word out there to school teachers and students that feral cats are deserving of care equally as frogs and crickets and deer. Too many humane educators are satisfied to trot a dog into a classroom, but haven't read a word about TNR or feral cats. If you can be a part of changing THAT, you can be involved and may never need to have Abigail get even a whiff of concern!

Linda