Just wondering

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
G'day all.

Was wondering how long I should wait to potentially get another feline friend. As many of you know, suzie was not a well cat, and passed away almost 2 months ago. I am suspecting that she potentially had a feline illness. Is there a pre defined time period that should pass before obtaining another pet?

Reason for this is there is a cat looking for a home, that is being terrorized by other cats. I am thinking of taking the cat in to give her a home. But i do not want to contribute to her becoming unhealthy.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh - not that I have ever heard of
it generally been up to the owner

If theres a kitty thats stolen your heart
then go for it I say
it sure sounds like this kitty needs a loving home PDQ..........is it stray ? do tell us more

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well, this little one is named maggie, is a 2 yr old cat who is not spayed. Since the cat has been traumatized by other cats in a couple of homes, the person is looking for a home that is currently free of animals, after babysitting maggie for 2 weeks. They found maggie thrown out on the street, and is worried about her being hit by a car. I can understand that, it is a busy one way street here in town. The person who is trying to place maggie, is willing to help with spaying costs.

Reason I am asking is that I had heard of a 3 month wait before getting another cat, to allow for the pathogens of the previous cat's illness to pass out of the atmosphere of my place. It may be a bunch of horse bunk for all I know, but figured you people would be able to advise much better. Who I heard it from is trying to be helpful, but could be trying to pass on non factual info to me.

Hope that helps

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I say go for it! If you're ready, I am sure the new kid will appreciate your love and affection.
To be safe, I would make sure she has new bowls (or put the old bowls in the dishwasher), and new or clean bedding. Most viruses that affect cats can't live in the environment without a cat for very long. But what a great excuse for giving your house a thorough going over! Time for spring cleaning! That way, the new one will be impressed with her new place.

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As for the cleaning, when suzie passed away, I washed everything that she came into contact with with a strong bleach solution only in the washer. I mean everything, the pillows, the blankets, the bowls were hand washed in the sink with bleach, the litter box was done in bleach as well. All food was thrown out, subject to being replaced when required. I will get a new piece of carpet for the bowls for this new kitty, if I decide to take her. I went over every surface with a industrial disinfectant, like the ledge of the bay window, the other windows sills. I have vacuumed all furniture as well. So i think I got everything, lol.

Just will have to think about the christmas tree, and hanging ornaments and presents that are there as well.

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ty. BTW, one other question. I have read the articles on spaying your pets. Since maggie is 2 yrs old, this should be done i know, but what about complications. She will most likely already be well into the habit of spraying and arttracting other cats. Will i have a potential behaviour issue devlop if I do it now?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie sounds just the kitty for you
and your house is SOooooo ready for her.............
go get her
.........oh I am so excited for you...........so keep us posted, and a BIG BIG hug
for thinking about this precious little girls life..............and some
for little Maggie from my kits

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittydad

ty. BTW, one other question. I have read the articles on spaying your pets. Since maggie is 2 yrs old, this should be done i know, but what about complications. She will most likely already be well into the habit of spraying and arttracting other cats. Will i have a potential behaviour issue devlop if I do it now?
she´ll be fine................we took in Pepsi when she was just under 2 and no problems what so ever.........she´ll become more affectionate and her tendancy to wander will disappear..............is she there now ???

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no not yet, I just went to visit the person and they are not home right now. WIll write up a quick note and drop it off, and let them know that if they have not found a home for her, then I will take her. Will have to go get a bit of food though, but no worries.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Babygirl was a stray when I found her, years ago. She was estimated to be about 4 years old and had never been spayed, no problems whatsoever with her, after she was spayed.

Good for you for wanting to take in Maggie. I hope she's still avaialble

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well just came back from dropping off a note to take maggie, so time will tell if she is still available.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Good for you for wanting to take in Maggie. I hope she's still available
my thoughts exactly!

You wont have any problems by getting her spayed at 2yrs of age and her tendancy to wander will likely diminsh over time.

good on you - maybe Suzie led Maggie to you as she knew she needed a loving home

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well we will see. Still think about suzie, hoping she is enjoying her new life on the other side.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittydad

Well just came back from dropping off a note to take maggie, so time will tell if she is still available.
yay - oh I am pleased ...............I´ll be crossing my fingers for you

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
funny thing is I have everything I need except food. But will run across the street if necessary to get a couple of cans of food for tonight, if needbe. Should know tonight though.