I had my EMG today...

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I got back from having my EMG to see if I have Carpal Tunnel. It turns out I have CTS in my left hand, as well as some muscular atrophy, and I'll probably have to have surgery. My right hand didn't show any signs of having CTS although I've been having problems with it, but I was told that 1 in 14 people will have an EMG and even if they have CTS, the EMG may not show it.

I was pretty nervous before the EMG as I've read reports that it can be pretty painful, but it wasn't that bad. The doctor that administered it joked around alot and used alot of sarcasm which I personally enjoy
But he was up front and honest at the right times and made me feel comfortable which was great.

For those who don't know what an EMG is, it is a test that checks your nerve and muscle function. It consists of two parts:

The first part is an electro-shock test. They place either loops around your fingers or pads similar to those on a heart monitor on the areas they want to check. Then, a device that looks like a taser is placed on different areas (in my case parts of my hand and my arm) and a you're given a small zap. It was actually kind of fun in a sick sort of way *lol* Some of the zaps were stronger than others depending on how well your nerve is that they're testing. A few of them made my hand jump so that made things interesting

The second test was a needle stick test that checks your muscle response. I hate needles so I was really nervou about it. Basically a small, fine, needle (like an accupuncture needle) is inserted into the muscle in various spots (6 spots between my hand and my arm in my case) and you hear static on a speaker. You're then asked to move a particular way and you hear more static. That was pretty cool I thought. It wasn't really painful, no more than getting blood taken, although it was uncomfortable once or twice when he had to push the needle deeper into my muscle to get a better reading. I'd say that the shaking and nervousness I felt just because I don't like needles, was worse than the actual discomfort or pain.

So if I do have surgery it looks like I'll be out of work even longer because I can't go back to work and then go out again. Our screwed up system at work won't allow me to do that again without having disciplinary action.

Wish me luck for a good end to all this

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well at your concerns about your hand have been diagnosed. I remember when I had those tests done then again when I got the bill!!!
Did they recommend a hand brace to wear at night??

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Luck! I hope you dont have to have surgery! As for the shocking.
I had to do that once when I was having trouble with my left knee. They thought the nerves were dieing (they werent) and so they decided to shock me. I thought it was kinda funny too. I would scream and then start giggling. Keep in mind I was hmmm 13 or 14 at the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Well at your concerns about your hand have been diagnosed. I remember when I had those tests done then again when I got the bill!!!
Did they recommend a hand brace to wear at night??
Well I've got full insurance so I better not have too much of a bill

I have to have a follow up appointment the day after Christmas, so I'll find out what the doctor wants to do in regards to treatment then.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
they thought i had carpel tunnel but i never went to the emg with the needles. I did the part of it without it...with the current and i couldn't go back. They prescribed valium but i just can't. Although i think it's pinched nerves in my case. When the nerves in my back are pinched, my hands hurt.

I want to tell you though that everyone that i know that has had the surgery...it has not helped them.

Look for alternatives like physical therapy. One lady had excercises to do and could tell a big difference.

If they told me i would need surgery, that's what i would have done is ask for the pt first...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosey

they thought i had carpel tunnel but i never went to the emg with the needles. I did the part of it without it...with the current and i couldn't go back. They prescribed valium but i just can't. Although i think it's pinched nerves in my case. When the nerves in my back are pinched, my hands hurt.

I want to tell you though that everyone that i know that has had the surgery...it has not helped them.

Look for alternatives like physical therapy. One lady had excercises to do and could tell a big difference.

If they told me i would need surgery, that's what i would have done is ask for the pt first...
Yeah I will ask about any alternatives. They did say there is some sort of blockage that needs to be cleared up and that's what is causing my atrophy too, so this might be a surgery only solution right now.