I'm knee deep in Christmas cookies...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I told everyone at work that I'd make a huge cookie tray for our potluck tomorrow, but I think I got a little carried away. I've counted them all up and I have a little over four dozen cookies so far, and I still have some dough in the :censor::censor::censor::censor: waiting to become cut outs. I hope that I can have my team mates take some home, because if they stay here I'm going to have to eat them all!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Can I come wade with you?
Sure! This is too funny... DH just called me and asked what I was doing. When I told him I was still baking he freaked out. I started baking last night, slept for a few hours, and was up at 6am shoving more cookies in the oven. It's almost 1:30 and I think I have one more cookie sheet to go. I haven't been in this kind of baking frenzy in long time.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

yum! what kind of cookies did you make????
I cheat. I use one basic recipe and then dress it up or down according to the taste of whom I am baking. I start simple by just making butter cookies. Then I break out the double boiler and melt some chocolate. I put some of it in the :censor::censor::censor::censor: to roll out for cut outs. I reduce honey and roll them in nuts for cookie balls. I also dust some in colored sugar just for a nice touch. But really it's just one simple recipe.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when I made cookies 2 weeks ago, Louie decided to get on top of the table (a
) and try to "army crawl" under the cookie cooling racks.....if I wasn't so worried about my cookies & cat hair I shoulda took pics....lookin' back it was very funny.....he is not so little anymore!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

Hmmmm... I bought all the ingredients for cookies a few weeks ago but am too lazy to do anything with them
Nate, I'll fly over and help you. Baking is one of my passions.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Nate, I'll fly over and help you. Baking is one of my passions.
I'm sure it would be easier for me to just post you the walnuts and dark chocolate pieces I planned to use :rolf:
You should post the recipe you use- if it also involves brown sugar (as mine does) I might feel inspired

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey heather, do you know how to make peppermint bark? If I have two things of peppermint candy canes and one of white almond bark....is that all i need?
Just a question since you're the baking queen around here
I know I need to melt the bark and crush up the peppermint then put it parchment paper- is that it?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, no brown sugar here. I tend not to use refined sugar unless I have to. In this case because it's for other people I did break down and buy some sanding sugar, and some sprinkles. But as for the recipe here's what I use:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...ml?rsrc=search

I converted it over by using a cane sugar that is on the blond side, and some organic butter and flour.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Hey heather, do you know how to make peppermint bark? If I have two things of peppermint candy canes and one of white almond bark....is that all i need?
Just a question since you're the baking queen around here
I know I need to melt the bark and crush up the peppermint then put it parchment paper- is that it?
This is the first one I can find about it. I'm not the biggest mint fan so I've never made it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._24773,00.html

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh your killing me! My mom brought over cookies for John and I want some so bad but cant have them!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well folks I'm done. There are five dozen cookies. I honestly think that I can't look at cookie dough for the next three months, or I'll loose my mind!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may be done but I've only just finished the mix- couldn't find any vanilla essence so used some coffee flavourings instead. They could be brilliant or awful- as I've not made cookies for years I'm not going to be that bothered.
Have to do two batches, one with walnuts (for normal cookie lovers) and one with just chocolate chips (for Epona)

All that stiffening of dough sure has made my arms go numb

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH came home with a Christmas card and tin of cookies today from what he said was an older lady and her mother
that he delivers to pretty often. They look goooood! Had a bite of one that looks like a peanut butter ball with fudge on top! Ooooooh sooooo goooood!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I cheat. I use one basic recipe and then dress it up or down according to the taste of whom I am baking.
Now that is the way to do it!!!! I wish I had thought of something like that!

One year I decided to do a whole bunch of baking and give that away for gifts. I made 12 dozen cookies/bars with 12 different recipes. I was baking and freezing for weeks ahead of time. It was expensive and time consuming and by the end I was so sick of baking that I haven't baked another cookie since, LOL

If I ever do it again, I'll try your method.