What is your opinion of this vet???

kiva13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I took my 11 week old kitten to a new vet for her second vet visit. I didn't like her at all! She just seemed really cold and even mean. I guess I started it by telling her that my kitten bit sometimes and scratched and what did she suggest for me to do to deal with it.

She proceeded by telling me that I should scruff my cat (and she demonstrated how NOT to do it because it hurt - and my cat cried out), and said that after I scruffed him so he couldn't move, I should flick him hard on his nose with my finger and say NO in a firm voice. And she demonstrated that too on my poor helpless little kitty who hadn't done anything wrong at that point. She did it twice. Then I came home a read a pamphlet by the Humane Society that said NEVER to flick a cat because it would usually backfire and make him or her more aggressive or afraid of you. I want to change to a different vet because I had a bad feeling about her. She also told me that when she says NO to her own cat, her cat knows that he better run and hide. What do you think of that?
Thanks

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest calling around and looking at another vet

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vets are primarily trained to deal with health issues, not behavioral issues. Good vets make a point of understanding both. Your vet sounds like she has bad bedside manners. I also suggest another vet.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiva13

Hi,
I took my 11 week old kitten to a new vet for her second vet visit. I didn't like her at all! She just seemed really cold and even mean. I guess I started it by telling her that my kitten bit sometimes and scratched and what did she suggest for me to do to deal with it.

She proceeded by telling me that I should scruff my cat (and she demonstrated how NOT to do it because it hurt - and my cat cried out), and said that after I scruffed him so he couldn't move, I should flick him hard on his nose with my finger and say NO in a firm voice. And she demonstrated that too on my poor helpless little kitty who hadn't done anything wrong at that point. She did it twice. Then I came home a read a pamphlet by the Humane Society that said NEVER to flick a cat because it would usually backfire and make him or her more aggressive or afraid of you. I want to change to a different vet because I had a bad feeling about her. She also told me that when she says NO to her own cat, her cat knows that he better run and hide. What do you think of that?
Thanks
wow, I would have grabbed my cat back from the woman, considered slapping her but probably wouldn't, and walked out.

tru87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well i would of told her there was a big snake in the corner of the room, when she turned to look.. i'd grab my cat ... forget the carrier as a present for her hardwork.. and run out of the clinic like my life depended on it.

you NEED to change vets... my Vet actually loves to see cats... he plays with them, pets them... does funny noises at times lol So you feel really confident taking your kids to a vet like that because you know he/she actually cares.

Cold Vets / Human Doctors... should all be snatched of their degrees.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that if you dont like a vet, for whatever reason, then it is time for a new vet! If you don't like a vet, I think you should tell them why you don't like them to their face so they know they lost a customer.

charmaniac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
NEVER flick a cat anywhere near the head. You can flick a lot harder than you think. In fact, you shouldn't flick a cat at all.

I know a guy who thought he was playing rough with his cat by thoinking him on the head and the cat wound up dying. (He felt terrible afterwards...took a few weeks of depression before he got over it).

Not to mention if you don't hurt them you risk making them very angry. If you are going to discipline, I suggest using a spray bottle - although the cats figure it out pretty quickly and will run away before you can spray them, eventually they associate their behavior with the spray bottle.

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by charmaniac

NEVER flick a cat anywhere near the head.
Not to mention if you don't hurt them you risk making them very angry. If you are going to discipline, I suggest using a spray bottle - although the cats figure it out pretty quickly and will run away before you can spray them, eventually they associate their behavior with the spray bottle.
Aye, I just have to tap my fingernails on our spray bottle now and they get the point.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a new vet- then write a letter saying how upset you were by the manner in which you were treated by the vet in question. If you just get a new vet then the vet in question will not know why you moved, and your letter might help touch a nerve in her that might lead her to a better understanding of animals

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Find a different vet - and she doesn't sound like a good person to even be in the vet business as that is NO way to treat any cat. I feel sorry for her own cats - they are scared of her - not "trained" at all!

Hate to think what she does to dogs!

You might also contact the state board of veterinarians and report her actions in writing!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wickedkitten

Aye, I just have to tap my fingernails on our spray bottle now and they get the point.
i usually just have to shake mine.
altho when the cats were kittens, i did do the nose tap to punish for biting - worked really well. but it was definitely a tap, not a flick, & i didn't scruff them.
for the scratching - consider getting some soft claws. they will really help.

matt b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree, sounds like she shouldn't be in the business. I think too many vets don't know what they are doing. They get away with it because their patients can't complain. Which is why it is important to do a little research before picking a vet.

We live in a small town where at one time we only had two vet offices in town. One of them was abusing animals to the point of death. Someone would bring in an animal that was sick, he'd look at it and have to "treat" it with surgery or medicine and the animal would have a reaction or something would go wrong in surgery and the animal would die. It was later found out he was beating the animals. This was revealed after he hired a responsible tech that started asking questions and doing some "snooping".

Now, we have good vets in town. I think there may be 3 or more all of which I've heard good things about. Our's is a husband/wife team that are really good. They are kind with the cats when they need to be, and firm but not hurtful when situation calls for it (you can't talk a young cat into letting you take it's temperature
) "Mm hmm, you're wanting to stick that where?".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiva13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, you all have definitely helped me feel justified in finding a different vet. I think I will write her a letter telling her why I'm changing vets. I decided to take my kitty back to the same vet who took care of my dog for 13 years, and my cat for 18 years from long ago. He diagnosed my cat with a thyroid disorder when nobody else could figure out what was wrong, and saved my dog's life twice - once when a ball got stuck in his throat and once when he discovered a melanoma in his eye. I would trust him with my life, as well as with my animals. I didn't think I wanted to go to him again because going back to that clinic would bring up so many painful memories, but I can put them aside for the benefit of our kitty. He deserves the best too. Thanks for all your encouragement to find another vet.