TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I'm really mad.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm really mad.

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
This is Mercy. She's a Beagle/Foxhound mix, a 4-year-old pound rescue.


You guys have already heard about Mercy, the dog who lives with me and my three housemates, two other dogs, and one hamster. She's not my dog; she's my housemate's; but she and I are the two people who really like Mercy. She's had a lot of behavior problems in the past, including constant barking, house-soiling, and escaping from the fenced yard, even when tied down by a 20-foot rope and harness.

Her behavior problems have gotten much better since she was re-adopted by her current owner after a former housemate left her here (she was moving to Russia). So this isn't a huge problem anymore.

Yesterday it turned out that another of my housemates--not so coincidentally, the one who insists she's so allergic to cats that I can't have one--doesn't like Mercy one bit, though she thinks Mercy's a bit more tolerable now that she's behaving for the most part. I know she dislikes Mercy because she told me so.

Mercy was taken out of the pound by a former housemate, who I think may have neglected her. Apparently she kept her in her crate so long that she had to pee, then didn't clean up the pee for a week... So the problems that probably put her into the pound didn't get helped at all by this rather negligent owner.

My current housemate, during this time, grew to hate Mercy for her barking and house-soiling. So, apparently, as she told me yesterday, she thought of her own solution: During the time Mercy was owned by our former housemate, she put Mercy outside--in the unfenced front yard. Repeatedly.

So, basically, my housemate has just admitted to putting a dog--someone else's dog at that--out of the house, hoping it will be lost or hit by a car. She said this in such a nonchalant manner... as though it were something anybody would do, perfectly understandable.

No wonder Mercy is so good at escaping. She was literally trained to think it was OK to be out in the neighborhood on her own.

I haven't told Mercy's current owner about this. It would cause unnecessary strife between housemates who already have problems. But I had to vent somewhere, so here I am.
post #2 of 18
I would hit that girl so hard she wouldn't know what was coming!
post #3 of 18
Are you all on separate leases? If not, I would KICK HER OUT and tell her to that you hope a car doesn't hit her as she wanders the streets.

Otherwise if you wanted to press charges, I'm sure the police would be happy to come pay her a visit.
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
Are you all on separate leases? If not, I would KICK HER OUT and tell her to that you hope a car doesn't hit her as she wanders the streets.

Otherwise if you wanted to press charges, I'm sure the police would be happy to come pay her a visit.
I agree! She'd be getting what she deserves being hit by a car!

It won't help to make things worse in the living situations, but is there a chance that this person will put Mercy outside so she can run loose again? If so, then for Mercy's safety, something has to be said.
post #5 of 18
I do believe something should be said, just so the pups owner is aware of what she has done in the past. It would be horrible to have your roomate put her out again and have something happen to her.

I'd kick her out immediatly!
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
Are you all on separate leases? If not, I would KICK HER OUT and tell her to that you hope a car doesn't hit her as she wanders the streets.
I think you should kick her out too. She is a danger to Mercy.
post #7 of 18
I'm sorry, but I got confused...

Is the dog in your possession and one of your room-mates keeps putting it outside so that it can run around the neighbourhood? If that's the case, either ask her to move out, or find yourself another place to live and take your dog with you.

That girl sounds totally unresponsible, inconsiderate and down right mean!
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
The dog is not in my possession; she's a housemate's dog, though I'm taking care of her over the holidays. I don't know whether this girl is still putting her outside; she told me she was doing so while Mercy had really bad behavior problems.

Mercy did recently learn to back out of a harness (she figured out a collar ages ago). And her rope was cut on Halloween.

So... I have no idea whether she's still doing it. But the fact that she told me might mean she's no longer doing so?
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callista View Post
The dog is not in my possession; she's a housemate's dog, though I'm taking care of her over the holidays. I don't know whether this girl is still putting her outside; she told me she was doing so while Mercy had really bad behavior problems.

Mercy did recently learn to back out of a harness (she figured out a collar ages ago). And her rope was cut on Halloween.

So... I have no idea whether she's still doing it. But the fact that she told me might mean she's no longer doing so?
I would definitely tell your housemate about this when she gets back then. The situation is between her and the housemate that left the dog out unprotected
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Are you sure? I mean... I don't want to cause an upset deliberately. I know that this girl wouldn't like my breaking confidence. She didn't swear me to secrecy or anything, but it's talebearing; and if she's no longer doing it, all it does is stir up unneccessary trouble.

I wish I could "read" people better; then maybe I could figure out whether Mercy was actually in any danger. Mercy's being kept indoors the majority of the time now that she can wiggle out of the harness... but still, I don't like the idea of her being "accidentally" let out the door, no matter how much her behavior has improved.
post #11 of 18
You may not want to make waves but ..... She admit s to letting a animal with the mind of a young child out in hopes of something bad happening to it ... I would be conserned for your safety the dogs and the dogs new owner .... IT WAS ANIMAL CRUELTY
post #12 of 18
I would think this is something the owner should be aware of- if I found out someone had intentionally done something like that to my pet I would want to know so I could take steps to protect them.

My sister’s two Persians dealt with a similar situation in their previous home, and it eventually escalated from her trying to “set them free†to pretending they were her aging father’s cats when she dumped them at the shelter. In the month it took the husband to find them both cats were supposed to have been euthanized. Imagine the heartbreak of losing a pet that way. I only bring this up because this woman too had a history of putting the cats in danger and obviously had no concern for their safety...why would we think she wouldn't hesitate to do the same in the future?
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
You may not want to make waves but ..... She admit s to letting a animal with the mind of a young child out in hopes of something bad happening to it ... I would be conserned for your safety the dogs and the dogs new owner .... IT WAS ANIMAL CRUELTY


There is a time to break confidence and there is a time not to. The time to break it is when you KNOW there is something wrong with what the person said and its just not right.

By you posting this thread, obviously its something that concerns you. You know its not right...so I would do something about it.
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post


There is a time to break confidence and there is a time not to. The time to break it is when you KNOW there is something wrong with what the person said and its just not right.

By you posting this thread, obviously its something that concerns you. You know its not right...so I would do something about it.
post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
*nods* OK. I think I will talk to Mercy's owner about it when she gets back from her trip. It might make people mad at me, but if Mercy has a chance of being hurt, I guess it's worth it... I'm not good at reading people, so I have no idea whether she means to ever mistreat Mercy again; and I guess that means I have to take a chance on causing upset.
post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
She called me on the phone to check on Mercy and I've talked to her... She says she doesn't know either whether Mercy's in any danger, but that she will be on the lookout.

What a relief to have that off my chest.
post #17 of 18
Good job!

post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_vernon View Post
I would hit that girl so hard she wouldn't know what was coming!


Seriously, it would be hard not to. Some people are a poor excuse for a human.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I'm really mad.