Question about Conjunctivitis

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're adopting a kitty!!!

But, it appears that she likely has conjunctivitis in one eye. I say appears, because Mojo is one crazy little kitty and likes to play in her litter, especially when it's a brand new clean litterbox. She flings litter, and chases her tail, and does all kinds of crazy things!
So, the reality is that they aren't sure if it's an irritation due to her getting dirt/litter in her eye, or if it's conjunctivitis. Going on the safe side, the rescue is sending her home with a full course of treatment for conjunctivitis (ointment). We are planning on keeping her completely isolated in the computer room/office for a full week while we complete the treatment. (This will work well for introductions, too.)

Here are my questions: If it is conjunctivitis, what can we look for to know that it is cleared up before opening up the door to the screen door for the next phase of introductions? How contageous is it? Should we be OK with keeping her behind closed doors and making sure to wash our hands after interacting with her?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations... I cant help ... But how is Ophelia going to deal with this???

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats! When do we get pics? Got a name picked out yet or is Mojo sticking?

If I am remembering correctly, you *should* be OK with keeping her seperated & washing hands....I'm not 100% sure, though. You might consider calling your vet to ask! You should be able to tell the conjuvunctitis is cleared up by the fact that the eye isn't all red & weepy. If you look at the white of the eye, it should no longer be red, but white. This is all what I learned sorta at the shelter I volunteer for, so my info. might not be too accurate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We should be picking her up tonight, so hopefully pics will follow.

Ophelia is a mystery on the best of days.
This wasn't really a planned thing, but you know...when a kitty choses you as her forever home, you have to listen. Mojo definitely chose Earl as soon as she saw him, and she likes me a bunch too.
We're hopeful that since she has made great progress in her acceptance of Ginger, that adding another one right now won't be too traumatic for her. But might as well get all of the trauma out of the way at once, rather than spread it out over a longer time by waiting. That's what we're hoping anyway.

So far, she really seems to be a Mojo.
Maybe a Mojo JoJo (for Powerpuff Girls fans
). But we'll see. I kept trying to call her Gizmo yesterday...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Ophelia is a mystery on the best of days.
Sounds like my Ophelia, too!
Hopefully Ophelia will come to accept Mojo easily. How is she doing with Ginger?

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've dealt with conjunctivitis on more than one occassion.
Gracie,Lizzie and Annabelle have all had it.
My Vet said that it is contagious, but by the time I caught it all three of them already had it.
For some reason it just seemed to come out of nowhere everyone was fine when they went to sleep and they all each had one red, runny eye that they didn't want to open the next morning....I'm sure one of them had symptoms that I just didn't notice for at least a couple of days and that's how they all ended up with it.

He told me to be sure that I washed my hands after touching them...so that it didn't spread to the eyes that weren't affected.

As far as knowing when it's cleared up.
The redness and running will stop and if you pull gently on their lower lid it will be white...not pink or red like it is when they're still sick.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
When we adopted Abby she had conjunctivitis. I agree with what the others have said, when it is no longer red and weepy, and when the eyelid is pulled back and it looks white, you should be all set.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, have never had conjunctivis with my cats. Just wanted to say:

Heidi!!! Are you turning into a crazy cat lady?!?!?!?

Just coming from the mom of MANY.

(we want pics!! we want pics!!)

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Heidi!!! Are you turning into a crazy cat lady?!?!?!?

Just coming from the mom of MANY.

(we want pics!! we want pics!!)
I think I earned that title when I flew a rescue kitty from Ohio to Colorado because she stole my heart online. OK, there was a little bit of persuation from Eileen on that one...

Actually....Mojo is all Earl's fault.
She called to his heart from the cage in Petsmart. This was the first time we've ever actually asked to see a cat there. And she ran right up to him, climbed his leg
and when he held her for the first time she gave him a ton of kitty kisses.
I pretty much knew then we were gaining a new member of the family, and I had very little to do with it.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More congrats, Heidi!
Yes, conjunctivitis spreads like wildfire. I agree that the basic proper hand washing and changing of clothes after spending time with her before returning to the rest of the family should eliminate infections of your other little ones, along with keeping the door completely shut to prevent any interaction whatsoever. Remember the little things such as the door knob or light switch, which will need disinfecting, as well if you should touch them after spending time with your new little family member since it could live on these items and then be unwittingly transferred the next time they're touched.

Concerning applying medication to her eye..if applying straight from the ointment tube itself, be sure the tip never touches her eye, as this contaminates it. If applying ointment with a cotton swab, be sure to always dispose of them promptly and properly. Just a couple of thoughts...

Sure hope that sweet little eye is all better soon so the family can begin their introductions!!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

She called to his heart from the cage in Petsmart. This was the first time we've ever actually asked to see a cat there. And she ran right up to him, climbed his leg
and when he held her for the first time she gave him a ton of kitty kisses.
I pretty much knew then we were gaining a new member of the family, and I had very little to do with it.
I swear that the best cats are those that chose you.

Sorry for the hijack!!

My OTB Max came from a rescue group and had very drippy eyes. It turned out to be rhino virus and herpes. Take her to a vet and don't trust the rescue. They may be outstanding, but they will never be fully funded to diagnose all of the cats that come thru their doors. Max gave it to everyone in the house and I was guaranteened for months. Bogart was a young kitten and went into ICU for a week and almost died. You don't want that!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, I totally agree. Best to get more new intros out of the way now.
We delivered Mae Mae to her new home - and just a few weeks later Flowerbelle fell into our laps. We intended to foster her too.... but she was so sick, it took so long to nurse her back to health that she was already a part of the family.

Flowerbelle loved to play in the litterbox just like that. It never caused an eye problem. Her eye problems were herpes. I'm betting it is actually conjunctivitis - and you've already gotten the info you need.

Hope it clears up soon and that Mojo is easily integrated into your growing family!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Her poor little eye is all watery.
Especially when she was stressed when we were waiting with her in the carrier for last minute stuff (like checking out with her food, her new toys, etc.
) She definitely does NOT like it messed with at ALL, so I haven't been able to see if it's red in the white area or not. She kinda acts like a toddler when Mommy is trying to get them to blow their nose.

They weren't aware of the medicine left for her when we picked her up last night, but they do have it for us now. So we'll pick it up tonight, apply it for 5-7 days per instructions before getting to actual cat introductions (as long as her eye has cleared up by then.