He jumped at my head twice this weekend!

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd be sitting on a stool by our kitchen counter and all of a sudden our cat would pounce from the floor up toward my head and just bump me and then run away. What the heck is that all about? Does he just want attention or is that some kind of aggression that I need to scold him for? It surprised me so much that I just yelled hay. Luckily he wasn't putting his claws out so it was actually kind of cute but I don't think I should let him do that. Anyone else have a cat that does this? This is the first that he's done this since we got him 4 months ago.

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it means he wants to play. April Joy would sneak up behind me, jump up and hit me in the back with her front paws. She just wanted to play. If your kitty is an only cat, I'll bet it means he's trying to get you to play with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by consumercity

It means he wants to play.
Oh thank God!
I was hoping it was that. I sure didn't want him to be turning mean. Thank you.

moocow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL!!!! Our five month old has started doing that to me. I don't think he likes my hairdo as he doesn't do it to hubby (whose head is shaved). This afternoon as I stood up from the sofa, he jumped and tried to land on my shoulder. Didn't work out too good for him!

He's just a nutcase kitten though. Nothing he does makes any sense!

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He doesn't do it to my hubby either but I have long hair which I think he has a hard time resisting sometimes. I'll have to warn any long haired friends that come over.
He gave me the crazed look once last night so I grabbed the lazer pointer and got him running around and that made him happy. He is an only cat.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by peeps

He doesn't do it to my hubby either but I have long hair which I think he has a hard time resisting sometimes. I'll have to warn any long haired friends that come over.
I know this couple who both have really long dreadlocks, and whenever they come over for dinner the cat cannot resist and spends most of the evening swinging from their hair

I think he just wants to play, usually when my cat leaps up and bats me he runs off and hides, waiting for me to 'chase' him so that he can pounce out at me. It is the most hilarious thing, because I swear he has a big grin on his little face when he pounces! As long as claws are not out it's a game

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I know this couple who both have really long dreadlocks, and whenever they come over for dinner the cat cannot resist and spends most of the evening swinging from their hair

I think he just wants to play, usually when my cat leaps up and bats me he runs off and hides, waiting for me to 'chase' him so that he can pounce out at me. It is the most hilarious thing, because I swear he has a big grin on his little face when he pounces! As long as claws are not out it's a game
That's hilarious about swinging from the dreadlocks! Your friends must be good sports.

Next time he does it, I'll try "chasing" him and see what he does. Yep, the claws aren't out so he's obviously just playing. That is, it's obvious to me now after getting you guys feed back.