peaches2001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ever since we got Peaches, she has never wanted to drink out
of her water dish. Everyday, we've filled it with fresh water, but she
will NEVER drink out of it. Instead, she climbs on the bathroom counter,
and demands to drink out of the bathroom faucet!! Other than that, the
only other place she'll drink water is the water in the Christmas Tree!! (bad kitty).

Why does she do this? Is there a way to get her to drink out of her dish?

-Gil

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe there are many cats who are just picky about where they drink. Some just dont like to drink from a standing source. Many members use cat fountains and have had great sucess with that.

I have noticed that Ceci has started to jump on the sink and drink from the faucet more and more, and use her dish less and less. I believe its just their instinct of non-running water = polluted source?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy (in pet stores) a water dispenser that's like a fountain - allows 'running' water for your cats (who love it!).

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Although I fill it fresh everyday, I have not seen my cat drink out of his bowl in months. He only wants to drink out of the faucet or my water glass. I am around most of the day to accomodate his demands but if you are gone a lot, maybe you should consider that fountain. I would love it but have no where to plug it in.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my cats were younger, they would only frink out of my glass or a faucet. I started giving them cold distilled water in a glass. Thats where they drink from now. I also added in some stainless steel bowls with cold distilled water and they drink from there, too. They LOVE it and I always know my babies are getting enough water.

malecatscanobey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat TREASURE is the same way and here is the reason for it according to my veterinarian.Cats can smell the chemicals that they use to purify our drinking water and so therefore they refuse to drink it.The best solution to cure this take some containers with covers on and fill them with water and let the water sit in the containers for a few days to week and within that time all that chemical smell should be gone and and use that water from those containers for your cat's water and it should entice them to drink it.I usually don't change my cat's water every day because of this problem and the vet said that was fine thing to do.And ever since me doing this with my cat he has never given me a problem with water drinking.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Peaches2001

Why does she do this? Is there a way to get her to drink out of her dish?

-Gil
well, i don't know if this'll work for you... but my Pixel much prefers her water with ice in it.

crys12065

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat prefers cold water from the fridge. I use Oxyfresh for their teeth so I need to fill a jug and store it in the fridge. As soon as I put the fresh water in their dish Sebastian is right there drinking. Try ice cold water, you never know.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ginger was EXACTLY the same as Peaches.

I invested in a Drinkwell fountain (because it was the closest fountain style to a running faucet,) and have never had the problem since, and Ginger now drink 6-8 ounces daily.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also recommend a fountain. Cats like moving water because it tastes better. Try leaving a glass of water out for yourself overnight and see how it tastes in the morning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peaches2001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

well, i don't know if this'll work for you... but my Pixel much prefers her water with ice in it.
We've tried it all. Faucet water, Purified water, with ice, without ice.

I'll look into the fountain! thanks!