TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I want a
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I want a

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Cornbread pan I saw its one of the old cast iron ones that make the bread look like ears of corn we had them when I was growning up. We still have my grandma's pans I simply have to get around to recurring them. But I have always loved cooking with cast iron. My dad doesn't think its all that good for cornbread but I do. And I guess I can make my own cornbread.
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom View Post
Cornbread pan I saw its one of the old cast iron ones that make the bread look like ears of corn we had them when I was growning up. We still have my grandma's pans I simply have to get around to recurring them. But I have always loved cooking with cast iron. My dad doesn't think its all that good for cornbread but I do. And I guess I can make my own cornbread.
I have my mom's cast iron pans also!
There is nothing better then cornbread baked in a cast iron pan!
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
They have them at rural king and they also have some really nice cook books. and candles and such. I love rural king.
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom View Post
They have them at rural king and they also have some really nice cook books. and candles and such. I love rural king.
Do they have a website?
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
I would think so its a big chain of mostly farm type stuff, store. They have all kinds of stuff though just not too much food related stuff other than pop. They have little John Deere caps for dogs and I am going to get Lilly one I think a rat terrier would wear a x small. Anyway I think all you have to do is type in Rural King.com and you can find them remind me and I will mail you one of their newsletters if you want.
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom View Post
I would think so its a big chain of mostly farm type stuff, store. They have all kinds of stuff though just not too much food related stuff other than pop. They have little John Deere caps for dogs and I am going to get Lilly one I think a rat terrier would wear a x small. Anyway I think all you have to do is type in Rural King.com and you can find them remind me and I will mail you one of their newsletters if you want.
Yes please!
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256 View Post
Yes please!
Hopefully dad doesn't throw it away first.
post #8 of 15
Shawn and the kids LOVE cornbread too.I always make mine in a cast iron skillet.
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittermom View Post
Shawn and the kids LOVE cornbread too.I always make mine in a cast iron skillet.
I've never made cornbread in anything BUT a cast-iron skillet.
post #10 of 15
Speaking of cast-iron, I know you have to "season" it when you first buy it, does anyone know how to do that? my friend just bought a set and he is freaking out that everything is sticking I told him I would find out what to do
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
Speaking of cast-iron, I know you have to "season" it when you first buy it, does anyone know how to do that? my friend just bought a set and he is freaking out that everything is sticking I told him I would find out what to do
Here is how someone told me to cure it

Regarding the cast iron skillets...

Curing/Seasoning Process

Prepare your pan by scrubbing it with hot soapy water, ensuring there is no food residue or rust, and dry it completely.

Warm the pan up slightly, and apply a coat of melted shortening to the inside and outside. Liquid cooking oils are not recommended.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and put your cookware in upside right, on a foil-covered cooking sheet, to catch any drips. If you use a non-covered baking sheet, it will require a good scrub afterwards - the foil saves on the cleanup.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes. If it starts to smoke, reduce the temperature by 10-15 degrees until it stops. This may increase the time by a few minutes, but will not hurt the cure.

Drain off any excess grease, and put the pan back in the oven, this time upside down, for 1 to 3 hours. A re-seasoning may only require half of that time.

Turn the oven off, and let the pan cool down naturally before removing it
post #12 of 15
hmmmmmmmm, I only use liquid cooking oil for mine and they don't stick.
I put it in my pan, turn on the burner for a few on med heat.Wait for it to get hot and then take it off my burner.I put it in the oven at 300' for about 15 mintues and that's it.Also, when you cook with it............DON"T just wash it.Wash it and then put it on the burner to dry all the way and then start all over.
I don't put the oil on the outside of the pan either.
post #13 of 15
Thanks ladies! I knew it involved oil and the oven, I'll tell him what you do
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256 View Post
There is nothing better then cornbread baked in a cast iron pan!
You can say that again! There is NOTHING better than hot buttermilk cornbread in a cast iron skiller (preferably my moms) You're making me want some now I would never use anything but a cast iron skillet for cornbread- it just doesn't taste the same with anything else
post #15 of 15
Have you all tried Mexican Corn Bread? YUMMY YUMMY!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I want a