External Harddrive

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm looking at buying an External Harddrive for my laptop. I was wondering if I could use it for my printer, instead of using my C drive. I have an all-in-one printer that uses a lot of GBs and would like to free up space on my pc's harddrive. Does anyone have any experience with this?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use a printer that the software is installed on my harddrive for both computers so I don't see why not, although, I am interested to know just how much space yours uses. The software for mine (also an all in one) is 256 MB, and while it can on occasion for high res print jobs take up alot of memory / CPU process, I doubt I will ever have the problem of having to uninstall the software to save the space

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Printer is a HP that takes up about 3 GB, plus we have a gps program, PaintShop, photos, etc. I'm mainly looking at it just for storing photos, documents and using it for the printer. Not for other programs.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW I have the HP all in one and it is much smaller - not even photoshop is 1GB on mine!

As I said though, it shouldn't be a problem, I have two harddrives on mine and everything works fine - with the printer, however, you won't be able to just drag and drop the software into the 2nd harddrive - you will need to reinstall so it knows where too look

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

WOW I have the HP all in one and it is much smaller - not even photoshop is 1GB on mine!

As I said though, it shouldn't be a problem, I have two harddrives on mine and everything works fine - with the printer, however, you won't be able to just drag and drop the software into the 2nd harddrive - you will need to reinstall so it knows where too look
, it won't be a problem at all. Just make sure that when you reinstall the software, to do a custom installation and change the drive letter from C:\\ to whatever the default is for the external harddrive (E: or F

Oh an be sure the harddrive is plugged in when you go to use the software.
I know its a given, but I've made that mistake in the past.