Uh..Trout didn't land on her feet..

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought cats always land on their feet

We were just playing with her toy on a stick, and she jumped up to catch it, and then landed on her side...

Should I be worried? Thats unlike her

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats a myth that cats always land on their feet. Keep an eye on her. She should be OK, but just watch her for anything unusual just in case.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harley has done that before too, we were bouncing his ball around and he jumped up to get it and he landed on his side, got up and went for it again - I didn't think anything of it, its never happened since!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that Trout should be fine. Phantom runs head first and hard into walls and stuff a lot and she is fine. She also falls out of her cat tree regularly and hasn't had any issues as of yet. Just watch her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I noticed the toilet lid was open and I just cleaned it today with chemicals..she loves drinking from it, so I'm worried she did, now I keep thinking she might get sick. So when she landed on her side, I was thinking thats not normal..

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you flushed after you cleaned, she should be fine. If it smelled really funny, she wouldn't drink from it.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

As long as you flushed after you cleaned, she should be fine. If it smelled really funny, she wouldn't drink from it.
K good, whew. She is acting normal anyway...that was just weird seeing her splat on her side

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
How old is Trout now? Abby went through a growing phase where she was very awkward for a bit.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

How old is Trout now? Abby went through a growing phase where she was very awkward for a bit.
She just turned 2....

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Then it probably wasn't that. I am sure she will be fine. I have seen Abby be less than graceful a few times

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, I just realized there is catnip on her bed...maybe it was that making her awkward

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can often not land on their feet if the height they've fallen from is not very high - Both my cats when playing with a stick will often throw themselves at it and then land awkwardly cause they weren't watching where they were going!

I wouldn't be too concerned, only if she starts jumping off chairs, tables etc and isn't landing correctly then!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of the above. It happens from time to time, when the cat just isn't paying attention. Probably all that was hurt was her ego, and as long as it doesn't keep happening, there's likely nothing to be concerned about.

Our RB Gryphon misstepped on the railing around our back porch one day, when he was too busy collecting scritches and kisses to watch his feet. It shook his self confidence, until he went and checked himself out on the back fence under the forsythia (read "in private"), and convinced himself he hadn't lost it. And it never happened again.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Damita does that on a regular basis....it's either a tortie thing or the fact that she can't see!
I wouldn't get too worried, when cats get excited when playing, they often "splat" into things at my house!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's little Trout doing now? I'm sure she will be ok- sounds like she just had a clumsy moment is all

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

How's little Trout doing now? I'm sure she will be ok- sounds like she just had a clumsy moment is all
She is completely normal now..thanks for asking

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they can only land feet-first if they have enough time to get their head upright (their spine aligns, and then their legs, automatically if they can get their head turned rightside up). So if she was really intent on her toy and was looking at it instead of trying to land right, I'm sure Trout just missed the landing. Zissou does it too, and just keeps right on playing with it. Like everyone else has said, it would be more worrisome if she were doing something like a planned jump off the shelf or fridge and missed...

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honey, believe me. If you could see the way that Tammy-Timmy runs across the rooms and slams into my bedroom door, you wouldn't worry about Trout landing on her side, her head, her rump......or jumping out an 8 floor window.

Tammy-Timmy is still living (picture of teeth pulling shirt apart)