MP3 Player

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After Christmas I am going to buy myself a little MP3 player. I was going to ask for one for Christmas, but I'm not sure what kind I want yet. I know I dont want to spend over $100 on an IPod when I know something like an off brand will do the same job, just as well.

Any suggestions/brands? I want something thats not a cheapo, something decent priced, with good quality.

THANKS!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH has an RCA Lyra, and he loves it! It's splash proof, and also can double as a heart rate monitor when he jogs. It's built more for runners, but it will do a great job for just bopping around the house. The best part is it runs on a AA battery that lasts about a week. Instead of buy packs of batteries we got a big set of rechargeables, so it's less waste.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

DH has an RCA Lyra, and he loves it! It's splash proof, and also can double as a heart rate monitor when he jogs. It's built more for runners, but it will do a great job for just bopping around the house. The best part is it runs on a AA battery that lasts about a week. Instead of buy packs of batteries we got a big set of rechargeables, so it's less waste.
That sounds awesome! I need something that I can run around with - when I go to the gym, thats pretty much what I'm looking for.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought the Creative Zen Nano Plus and I love it!! It has rave reviews and is very affordable..the one I got is 512mb, and fits all the music I have on my computer

I would highly recommend it. I researched mp3 players for months before I decided on that one, and it was worth it

I use mine at the gym, and its perfect!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I just bought the Creative Zen Nano Plus and I love it!! It has rave reviews and is very affordable..the one I got is 512mb, and fits all the music I have on my computer

I would highly recommend it. I researched mp3 players for months before I decided on that one, and it was worth it

I use mine at the gym, and its perfect!
Wow - I just checked it out online and it looks really great - AND affordable!

And it holds 500 songs? I don't think I have that many on my computer!

I want the PINK one!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Thank you so much Natalie!!
No probs, mine is very important to me because I use it so often, so I know what its like to want to get a good one for your money..

BTW its like a little bigger than a zippo lighter...so tiny

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend has a 512mb ipod shuffle. They go for about $50 cdn. I got a 256mb piece of junk from zellers and it cost me $60. The ipod is definitly a better choice, and you don't ever have to buy batteries for it because it charges through the usb port.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A shuffle doesn't have a screen though..that is way annoying IMO.
I was looking at the shuffle online and I noticed it didnt have a screen - that would bug me!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of using a chunk of my holiday bonus money and finally breaking down and buying an MP3 player myself. I'm eyeing the iPod nano, either in green or blue.

I want something I can take to the gym (I promised a friend I would start going with her after the new year) and wear on my walk home from work every day. Storage space isn't a huge issue for me but I want to be able to store a decent amount of music as well as a few audiobooks.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The IPOD line is WAY too expensive for what you get.. You can get the same player pretty much in a different brand for a fraction of the cost. You are just paying for the Apple name..I would NOT buy one, I hear they break all the time too.

Just MO.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The IPOD line is WAY too expensive for what you get.. You can get the same player pretty much in a different brand for a fraction of the cost. You are just paying for the Apple name..I would NOT buy one, I hear they break all the time too.

Just MO.
I was looking at those and they were pretty spendy - the ones I was looking at were 1/2 that price for the same thing! Its just an off-brand of an Ipod.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My little sister was convinced she had to have an iPOD for Chrsitmas! Paid $20 less(so $130) in Best Buy for a Samsung mp3 player. This one has a larger screen, is pretty maroon, has an FM radio & has 6 hours more battery life. A little spendy, but she's mad because it's not an "iPOD".

I bought one that holds something like 35 songs a year & a half ago...paid like $100......now it's like $30.
Don't invest much in one....I'd say something like 100 songs on an mp3 player should be enough.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I'd spring for the iPod (aka my dream machine) but that's me! I haven't (knocking on wood) had any problems with either of mine and I absolutely love how seamlessly it goes with iTunes and the iTunes store. Plus, they're really attractive, and they play videos and pictures. That's pictures of my cats everywhere I go!

My friend had a Rio something or other that she loves, too.

ETA: My iPod has 5 ful-length movies, 3,200 pictures and about 3,388 tracks of various lengths and it's about a third to half full.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one I got..the Creative Zen Nano Plus 512 ; was $49.99 CDN, regular $79.99 it was an online sale and I jumped at it as that was the player I was eyeing anyway because of the rave reviews.

I agree not to spend too much..my goal was under $100..because next year there are going to be 4 gig ones for like $89!! Its crazy!!

I bought a 128 gig maybe 2 years ago which holds like 30 songs..and it was $50 then..so they always get better and cheaper its true.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Sansa 1 GB player. It has FM radio and I can put about 500 songs on it. They have a 2 GB one too that I wish I would have gotten. Anyway, my 1 GB was about $69 on sale. I've seen the 2 GB one on sale for $99 the last couple of weeks. I absolutely LOVE mine. And I got a little pair of Phillips surround sound speakers that I leave at work. I just plug in my MP3 and listen to whatever I want. LOVE IT! This is the one I have. http://www.nextag.com/Sandisk-Sansa-...AB725CBFF7F433

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I was looking at the shuffle online and I noticed it didnt have a screen - that would bug me!
You also can't really make playlists or choose what you're going to listen to. All it does is "shuffle" through the music you have on it randomly. And no radio.