I think little Kolar is going to be blind on one eye.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As some of you may know, I foster kittens. I've recently been fostering a litter of 5 little boys. This week- three of the larger boys were able to be placed up for adoption. In a matter of less than two days, all 3 were adopted into excellent homes
(not as Christmas presents, we did a good screening). They were all 3 neutered on Thursday. / Well, I held on to the youngest two because they were a bit sick. Ruger, the tabbie, is looking better now. Kolar on the other hand is not looking so great. His eye is better than it was. (he has feline herpes and it is causing conjunctivitious very badly in one eye. He also has a URI). Some of you might remember the pictures i posted not too long ago of his poor little eye. Well....that eye is starting to clear up- the inflamation is going down and he's looking better....however, now we can actually see his eyeball- and it's not looking good. It's all clouded over (as if he had cataracs sp?). He can see perfect out of the other eye- but if you cover that one up and try to get his attention out of the other eye or him to follow you with that eye- he can't see at all. I hate that the little guy has lost his vision in that eye.
Poor little kolar. / They are both going back to the vet next Thrs. for another check up. We will confirm his blindness in that eye then. Eithor way, partially blind or not- we will make sure he finds the perfect home for him. I just hate that the little guy is going to be blind in that eye.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Oh the poor baby. Sending prayers that he is going to be ok.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor thing. Just remember that kitties always have an incredible sense of wholeness to them - no matter whether do by human standards or not.

Good luck little Kolar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Oh the poor baby. Sending prayers that he is going to be ok.
Thankyou. I apprecaite your prayers

Originally Posted by Satai

Poor thing. Just remember that kitties always have an incredible sense of wholeness to them - no matter whether do by human standards or not.

Good luck little Kolar.
Thankyou! I appreciate that. My main concern over him being blind in that eye is if the eye needs to be removed. He is such a young guy, that I would hate for him to have to go through that surgery. However, rest assured, that we will place him in the best home we can find as soon as he's ready. I will know more about what will be necessary for him when we go back to the vet next thrs. I will definitely update on everything then. I'm hoping that he can just keep the little eye and won't have to have any sort of operation.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh that poor sweet baby. I will pray for Kolar that he will be ok.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Nikki, I am so sorry!! He's such a special little guy.How sad.I hope it's not blindness, but even if it is......he'll be o.k.
Give both boys a hug from me!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We fought for months to save Flowerbelle's eye. It was badly damaged from Herpes. With the lysine paste we were giving her, it meant medicating her in some way or another 11 times a day. It was really tough on her. The vet put meds in her eye and sewed it shut. That didn't work.

In the end, we had it out. She was a little teeney thing. We thought she had a lot of energy before we had that eye removed. Her little body must have put in a lot of energy fighting for that eye - because once we had it removed, her energy levels went up 1000%. It was the best decision we made. No more meds to treat the ongoing conjunctivitis - boy was she happy! She has very poor eyesight out of the eye we were able to save, and she's deaf on top of it. But she doesn't know there's anything wrong with her!

...and she always looks like she's winking in any of her pics!

Sending "heal well, quickly and have terrific eyesight in both eyes" vibes to Kolar.

But sending vibes to you to be comfortable no matter what the outcome. If he's blind and going to be constantly plagued with problems in that eye and the vet recommends having it out, PLEASE don't fret too much over the decision. Flowerbelle was SO much happier for the surgery, and it was so worth it.

Laurie

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OOoooh no, bless his little heart. I've got a deaf one and one missing a limb, but I've never had to deal with any kind of blindness before, I wouldn't know what to do. I hope his other eye stays healthy. I'm sure that he's in really good hands

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little baby.
I'll be praying that he hasn't lost his sight in that eye and if he has and the eye needs to be removed I'll be praying for his quick recovery.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he loses the eye, just concentrate on how much better he'll feel.
Remember, my 'little' Ivory had to have an eye removed as a baby, she was playing the very same day.
And after it was removed, her URI finally cleared up.

Ivory the day of her surgery
Lots of vibes headed Kolar's way from me and Ivory

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww poor little guy.
But I bet you he will get used to it fast. They are such strong little guys they don't let much slow them down. One of the strays that I have been feeding (Moose) is blind in one eye...and he doesn't let that slow him down.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the vibes everyone.
/ I think the little rascle is feeling better tonight to say the least! I just spent the past 15 minutes chasing him around the entire house! The little stinker ran out of the kitchen before i could shut the door while i was trying to take my food into the other room. (I leave the kittens in the kitchen- it's a large kitchen with lots of room for them to have their cage, food, litter, etc and tons of space to run around in. Well..the little stinker kept running from me when he got loose and led me on a wild kitten chase
So yea, i think he's feeling better
(i still think he's going to loose his little eye though.
but i think he is recovering from his upper respiratory problems.)

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little Kolar, I hope he improves soon and if he does lose and eye he copes fine with it!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Poor little Kolar, I hope he improves soon and if he does lose and eye he copes fine with it!
Thanks Sarah
/ By the way, Smudge is having some eye surgery in the next few months too isn't she? It's just to fix her eye though right? Do you know anything about an actual eye removal surgery? This is my first foster kitten who's ever had the possibility of having the eye completly removed....so i'm not too knowledgeable on that topic