Cystitis flaring up

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Polly peed in the windowsill today. I just got done cleaning it up. Unfortunately, it was already completely dried out, so I'm going to have to get another sample from her for testing. I'm going to try to get it tonight. We are going to a party tonight, and she cries incessantly when she's locked up. I think that once she realizes we're gone, she'll stop crying. So I'll lock her up to get the sample while we're gone. If she pees while we're gone, I'll update you guys tonight. I have my own urine test strips, so I'll be able to test for blood and pH as soon as I can get her to go.

Start sending pee vibes at 7 CST. I'm so worried about her. We have tried so many medicines and treatments; I think the next step is going to be steroids. I'm hoping this is just a fluke, but I have my doubts. She always uses the box unless she needs to tell me she's having bladder troubles again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like everything is ok. Everything came up normal on the test strip, no blood, no protein, pH 6.5. I think it was just a freak occurance. She had me worried because she never misses the box unless she has blood in her urine, but my vet did warn me that cats with cystitis can sometimes suddenly go outside the box.

I will call them on Monday to double-check, but I don't think I'll need to bring a sample to them.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like Polly is doing the same thing that Molly did this week!

I'm so pleased to hear that all was clear!
I hope that it was just a freak occurrence and Polly will be weeing in her litter tray normally again!

(I was wondering if it was the excitement and changes going on with Christmas approaching that's upsetting our little girls?)

to you and Polly

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad everything is ok too. My sister's cat has cystitis and I know what she goes through and accidents are usually signs of a flare up for her cat.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

(I was wondering if it was the excitement and changes going on with Christmas approaching that's upsetting our little girls?)

to you and Polly
I wondered if putting up the Christmas tree might kind of freak her out. She seems to like the tree (she lays under it a lot) but it is a change in her environment.

Originally Posted by Rosey

I'm glad everything is ok too. My sister's cat has cystitis and I know what she goes through and accidents are usually signs of a flare up for her cat.
It always has been a sign of a flare-up for Polly in the past, but everthing came out all clear. The vet said they don't need to see a sample since I tested it.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I spoke to Ellen (our vet) today about Molly and Polly - was there with Tibby, as we didn't manage Friday, as he seemed much better.

Ellen explained that when Christmas time comes with all the excitement of the tree, gifts and wrapping, it is highly likely to get an 'issue' with out cystitis kitties, but it will go away after all the amazing events go away!

(sorry I couldn't put it in better terms - I't pretty late for us!
)

Is Polly doing okay now? Molly has gone immediately back to using the tray perfectly since we have her back on the Cystaid and a small dose of Metacam!

to you and Polly from me and Molly

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Is Polly doing okay now? Molly has gone immediately back to using the tray perfectly since we have her back on the Cystaid and a small dose of Metacam!

to you and Polly from me and Molly
Polly has not had another accident since the one over the weekend. She must've just had some irritation that caused her to lose control over her bladder. She had me really worried, but all is ok. It really seemed like a loss of control to me because the pee went everywhere, on the windowsill, all over the blinds, on the floor and on the floor lamp. (Sorry if that's gross) We got out the blacklight to make sure we got it all.

Polly and I send hugs right back to you and precious Molly!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, poor Polly!

I do wonder if their cystitis does cause a kind of 'tickle' at times - especially now that Molly and Polly have both had a bit of an accident!

Hopefully this is just a one off for both of them and they can relax and enjoy Christmas!

(I had to laugh the way you described just how far spread the wee was!
I've done that when talking to my Mum about Molly!
)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Info on cystitis:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1274

Tuxie's had problems - turns out it's caclium oxylate crystals. However, the vet has him on Cosequin for cats (glucosamine) to help build up the mucous membrane of his bladder wall.

Is this a supplement your cat is taking? If not, you might want to discuss using Cosequin for your kitty with your vet.

Laurie

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information, Laurie
I will have a better read in the morning when I'm more with it!

I know that my Molly is on Cystaid (the UK version of veterinary Glucosamine) and is doing okay so far!

I really do feel that it helps with prevention, but there still seems to be the odd 'undiscovered' trigger.

As you have experience, I'd love to have your input as Molly and I am new to feline cystitis and are continuing to learn each day!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
D'oh! I jinxed it! Polly peed again yesterday in the exact same spot. Both times, I have cleaned with Nature's Miracle and blacklighted to make sure I got it all. I didn't check her urine again since I had just checked it Saturday.

Originally Posted by LDG

Info on cystitis:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1274

Tuxie's had problems - turns out it's caclium oxylate crystals. However, the vet has him on Cosequin for cats (glucosamine) to help build up the mucous membrane of his bladder wall.

Is this a supplement your cat is taking? If not, you might want to discuss using Cosequin for your kitty with your vet.

Laurie
Polly does indeed take Cosequin, 80 mgs, each night. She started it the same time as the ami, so I don't know how much it's helping but I'm so afraid to change anything!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of you today while Molly was trying to pee over her tray! (
)

I truly think that a lot of it has to do with the dramatic changes during the run up to Christmas!

Molly and I am sending many
and good wee-weeing }}}VIBES{{{ Polly's way

....and lots of :hugs to you

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she saw some sort of threat outside the window, and she peed either to establish territory or cuz she freaked out. Sending prayers that it isn't any bladder problem.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She peed AGAIN yesterday in the same place. Just to be safe, I took a urine sample to the vet, and it was totally clean. My vet doesn't think Polly is in any pain. She suggested confining her (which I did today) and putting something like double sided tape in the windowsill to keep her away. She also suggested possibly adding a 3rd litter box there. I might try to get a small one just to see if it helps. I have to put it on the floor though, it won't really go in the windowsill.

I hate locking her up. She cried this morning, and made me feel so guilty!

I think I'm going to try either tape or maybe some foil in there and see if it helps, provided she does ok in the bathroom today. I hope that works. I'm not sure if I can confine her all the time. It seems so mean and makes me feel really guilty. I don't have a laundry room or anything like that, so I put her in the bathroom.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I agree that it might be a good idea adding another litter tray!
Just a little awkward to fit one on the windowsill! I'm sure that as long as it's in the vicinity, it should help!

Sending lots of Good Wee }}}VIBES{{{ to Polly and
to both of you from Molly and me

starkar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm new to this site. I'm cross-eyed from reading all day. You guys Rock! But I want to share Karli's story with you. She has been having prob with crystals for a few yrs. Vet put her on Hill Prescription diet X/d. it seemed to work for a few yrs then recently she started having prob again. Pain, peed a few times outside her litterbox. Of course I rushed her to the vet. I was concerned that maybe her treat of 1/2 tsp of chicken baby food was causing some probs but vet said it shouldn't hurt her. He gave a round of antibiotics(14 days). A week went by and another bout of peeing and another round of antibiotics. This continued for 3 rounds of antibiotic then I became more concerned. Ppl aren't suppose to take antibiotics that much and I didn't want her to do it either. So I rushed her to another vet for a complete work up. (ultra sound, blood work, cat scan, etc). BTW, I love kissing her little bare pink belly and she will lay down in front of me and present it to me while wiggling back and forth just so I will kiss her belly. LOL.
The vet found very few oxylate crystals but thot she may have cystitis. Is there any way to know that they have cystitis for sure??? He suggested another round of antibiotics and giving her moist X/D food and adding a little water to it. She never really liked the wet food but I was determined to make her eat it and she did. He also made me committ to one month of an anti depressant called AMITRIPTYLINE. It comes in a syringe and is very waxy. It is applied to the inside of the ear. (messy wax build-up). Also he said NO TREATS! (easy for him to say).
So after a month of the watered moist food (along with her regular dry) and the antidepressive I'm happy to report that she was feeling great and no sign of feeling badly.
I took her off the AMITRIPTYLINE but kept up the moist food. Everything was good until about a month ago...another puddle outside the box! So I started her back on the regimant and it seems to have cleared again.
My other vet has never heard of an antidepressive for cystitis.
But I'm going back to the vet again because there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I will ever buy Hills products again. (Don't even get me started about the recall of the pet food).I want her off it and a new diet for her.
After all this babble..has anyone ever heard of an antidepressant for cystitis. It seems to work but the meds are expensive ($80 for 4 small vials).
Thanks for any info you might give me.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome

These days, the use of antidepressants to treat cystitis is very common. Amitriptyline and Prozac are the usual choices. I don't have experience w/Amitriptyline, but if I'm not mistaken...in pill form, it is a very small pill. I think it is also very bitter, so it can be hard for some to give the old fashioned way. I realize and understand why your vet said "no treats" but I would consider asking if Pill Pockets would be acceptable. It would be worth a try. Pills should be much cheaper...and I've had great success giving very nasty pills inside a "Pill Pocket" treat. My cats just eat up the treat with the pill inside, no problem.

Is there any way to know that they have cystitis for sure???
Cystitis is a diagnosed by eliminating the other possible causes for bladder trouble, such as stones or infection. It means "inflammation of the bladder". It's a poorly understood condition, even by the experts. "Real" bladder infections are fairly rare in cats...accounting for 2-3% of bladder trouble in young cats and still only about 10% in cats over 10 yrs old. So oftentimes the antibiotics are not necessary. Certainly give them if the doctor feels its necessary, but...that might be something to bring up w/the vet. Did they run a "culture and sensitivity" test? That pinpoints the exact bacteria present (if any) and determines the best antibiotic for the job. Often the C&S test turns up NO bacteria, though.

Good job getting her to eat the moist food!! That is the best thing for her w/this condition. There are some other brands of prescription urinary diets that you can ask your new vet about. Purina and Walthams are 2 that come to mind. The Waltham's is called Urinary SO and I believe the Purina is called St/Ox. Depending on just how far off her pH is from normal, an all canned diet of virtually any type could be just as beneficial, but do ask the vet. If that's the route you take, I recommend no dry food at all...or just as treats. When they're off dry food, anything "dry" becomes a treat.

If I can help...let me know.