TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Please, be careful with Candles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please, be careful with Candles

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Especially this time of year, many of us seem to have even more candles around and I just wanted to remind everyone to be careful and monitor lit candles with your fur babie's around.

The other night I was in my room at the computer, on of all things.... thecatsite. I usually use those warmer plates instead of lighting. But This was a nice, fragrant candle and I wanted the full effects! Anywhoo, all of a sudden I hear <crash, boom, bang, clang-clang>. I rushed around the corner and there was Peaches, smoking and stinking to high heaven. Poor baby. She jumped up on one of the high towers of my entertainment center where the candle was (and where she has never jumped before) and her fur got burned. She was black up most of her right side and part of her tail. She must have jumped right into the tree when it happened because I had a couple glass ornaments laying on the floor that were in the middle of the tree and they were completely removed from those metal caps on them that you hang them by. (I'm sure they're on the tree somewhere). Oh my... Miss Peaches is fine but what a scare. And she was so humiliated and suffered from lack of dignity. Poor thing. Luckily her fur is so long and full and she just burned 1-1 1/2 inches on the ends. I was able to gently brush out the black and she is no worse for wear now. But I just wanted to remind everyone to monitor lit candles. Even when you think they are somewhere your cat never bothers with. Hope everyone doesn't think I'm a horrible pet owner now. I have debated even sharing for 2 days but I think it's important.
post #2 of 16
You're not a horrible cat mummy at all. That was really scarey. I'm so glad Peaches is OK. Thank God for her long hair, it probably protected her from getting her skin burnt.

We've all had scarey things happen with our furbabies. I remember I fixed a bowl of vegitable soup in the microwave, when I removed it, it was steaming hot. I set the steaming bowl in front of the microwave, went to get a spoon, turned around and saw Simba flying across the room, and landing smack in the middle of that bowl of boiling soup. Then he took off running and hiding. I was sure he had serious burns on him. Luckily he was OK, just scared, and I was stuck cleaning up vegitable soup from every corner of that kitchen
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeHacker View Post
You're not a horrible cat mummy at all. That was really scarey. I'm so glad Peaches is OK. Thank God for her long hair, it probably protected her from getting her skin burnt.

We've all had scarey things happen with our furbabies. I remember I fixed a bowl of vegitable soup in the microwave, when I removed it, it was steaming hot. I set the steaming bowl in front of the microwave, went to get a spoon, turned around and saw Simba flying across the room, and landing smack in the middle of that bowl of boiling soup. Then he took off running and hiding. I was sure he had serious burns on him. Luckily he was OK, just scared, and I was stuck cleaning up vegitable soup from every corner of that kitchen
Cleaning up doesn't seem so bad once we find out our babies are ok!
post #4 of 16
Awwwww poor Peaches Everyone who knows you, knows what a devoted and loving cat Momma you are!

I had to learn the hard way, too. Lighting a candle on the coffee table, making a trip into the kitchen, coming back to find cats sniffing the candle, with whiskers burned off. That was a few years ago. I have candles all over my home, but very rarely light them. When I do, I do not leave them unattended.
post #5 of 16
Thanks for the reminder!! I can't light candles at all with Trout anyway, it seems like she tries to catch on fire on purpose
post #6 of 16
Soph has gotten her whiskers burned so many times, she never learned...So I use the candle burners and if I do light them, they are where the cats never go...up high.

So glad your baby is okay!
post #7 of 16
Glad your baby is o.k. now.I know she must have been VERY scared.
You're NOT a bad Meowmy either.We all learn from our mistakes.
post #8 of 16
Last year Zebra burnt a bunch of her fur. There was a set of 3 candles lit and she stood beside them and got burnt by all 3.
post #9 of 16
Poor little peaches. I'm glad your kitties wound up being ok / Thankyou for the reminder- it is good to remind everyone about the importance of fire safety....especially during the winter when everyone likes to lite fires and candles / I usually use my candle warmers (about $4-5 at wal-mart, garden ridge, hobby lobby, and most other stores like that) to put my jar candles on- they put out such a fragrant smell without worries of fire (however you do have to make sure your furbaby doesn't get too close and tip it over- that hot wax could scald them. / I also like the little LED lights version of the flickering tea lights. They are little electronic lights you just twist to turn off and on- no fire, lighting , or anything like that involved. They last longer than a regular tea light, and look nice in colored glass holders. / When I do light candles though- i am always in the room to supervise them and make sure they stay under control / Many local fire deptartments offer phamplets with tips and ideas about fire safety during the winter also!
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
Poor little peaches. I'm glad your kitties wound up being ok / Thankyou for the reminder- it is good to remind everyone about the importance of fire safety....especially during the winter when everyone likes to lite fires and candles / I usually use my candle warmers (about $4-5 at wal-mart, garden ridge, hobby lobby, and most other stores like that) to put my jar candles on- they put out such a fragrant smell without worries of fire (however you do have to make sure your furbaby doesn't get too close and tip it over- that hot wax could scald them. / I also like the little LED lights version of the flickering tea lights. They are little electronic lights you just twist to turn off and on- no fire, lighting , or anything like that involved. They last longer than a regular tea light, and look nice in colored glass holders. / When I do light candles though- i am always in the room to supervise them and make sure they stay under control / Many local fire deptartments offer phamplets with tips and ideas about fire safety during the winter also!
Some good points and suggestions there. I do have one candle warmer (the electric plate, right?) but I always feel lighting them gives more fragrance out. It's not worth harming one of my babes though.

Thanks everyone for your concern and support. I felt it was important to remind everyone. Apparently it was something I didn't think about!
post #11 of 16
Thanks for the reminder! When Emily was a kitten she singed her whiskers a little from a candle.
post #12 of 16
I can't light candles anymore. Rocket seems to think that sticking his head into the flames and burning his whiskers is a fun thing to do. Unfortunately it freaks me out and he hasn't learned that flames are hot and cause bad things to happen so I just don't light them anymore. Not worth the risk to my furkids.
post #13 of 16
Oh, Tammie! What an awful scare! I'm so glad that Peaches's lovely long fur saved her from being harmed. Poor sweetie, though, to have that happen! And the indignity of having her lovely fur marred, too!

Definitely a wake-up call for all of us! Whodathunk? Thank you for sharing.
post #14 of 16
I am glad your baby is AOk this is one reason why we use primiarly wax melts instead of candles in our house anymore. havent had one tip over my dish of wax yet and the smaller bit of melt lets off a ton of fragrance.
post #15 of 16
Scary! Excellent reminder for all of us, Tammie! Thank you!
post #16 of 16
aww Little Peaches, bless, what a shock for her, heres some from my kitts and I bet you totally flew from your chair when you heard the "crash"
Cats & candles....... .......Miss Moofi is always very interested in candles (which I know wasnt the case with Peaches) Moofs has caught her whiskers a couple of times, why are they so bothered ?

well thanks for the reminder
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Please, be careful with Candles