I think Stormie is in heat HELP !!!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok for the last few days she become VERY VERY AFFECTIONATE and well lets i wanna sleep, and when I get a chance to sleep I get MEOW MEOW MEOW really loud really early
my dad was getting ready for work and by the time he got up which is 5:45 she was already meowing for over an hour and she just doesnt meow at the door she will jump on top of the guniea pigs cage and meow, man I wanna sleep
But she is supposed to be only about 5 months I believe she is 20 weeks, and the earliest appointment is January 3rd and that is when we are going, is she too young to go in heat and also what can I expect if she is. Here she is very affectionate rubbing her head on anything and everything and then rolling all over the floor rubbing her head and I just noticed that Bella was cleaning her she could of ran bella actually didnt pin her down and I noticed that her but is kind of in the air and also her tail is at the side
I really hope that she is not in heat I never went through this before
and I dont want to, dont worry she cant get outside she wont even walk downstairs lol except for the last past 2 days shes been a little brave not much though hahaha, but like I dont know she is meowing and then I will pick her up and its an instant purr, and also she is meowing like i said but sometimes its not a full meow i hope u guys now what i am talking bout lol, but I just have no idea, does this sound like heat??? And if so give me info please and how long does this last !!! I wanna sleep
she is playing now so thats good
I am going to let her run around once my brother goes to bed so incase she does go downstairs she dont travel into the basement! What are signs tho to look for for heat, I thought that she was too young! Awe please someone HELP !! But she doesnt really put her but in the air that much i just noticed because she was sitting next to me and well her but was right there lol so I havent noticed that much but she does have all that fur

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it to me. Reeses went into heat about 5 days after we got her right after we made an appointment to get her spayed which was for over a month away. She was even more affectionate, sticking her butt in the air, and wasn't meowing a whole lot but every once in a while would let out a MEowEROWER! The way I knew for sure though, which I read here, was I put my hand by the base of her tail and she would stick her butt in the air even more and stamp her feet. She would do it whenever I pet her down by her tail, and that's another sign, a sensitive back/tail. I suggest you try it and if she does it, she's definately in heat.

From what I've read they can go into heat as early as 6 months or so. I'd call the vet and make an appointment to get her spayed asap.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's not too young to go into heat. Be VERY careful to keep her from getting out cause she will come back pregnant. You might have to confine her in a room with door closed unless you are supervising her. Young kitten heats usually don't last too long, but she could be "in heat" for about a week and come back in every 3 weeks.

Sounds like you might cut it close on the spaying appointment. Might want to call your vet and ask that if they get a cancellation, can you bring her in sooner to be spayed. And if she's starting back into heat at the time of spaying - they still can spay her, but it might wind up costing a little more.

BTW Charlie's breeder (ocicat) told me on the phone she doesn't show her females much cause they start coming into heat at a early age and she can't keep weight, etc. on them good enough for showing. In fact, Charlie's mom had her first heat at age 4 months!

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree that she is in heat. Bootsie also went into heat while I was still fostering her. She was howling and rubbing, rolling around, and dragging herself along the carpet. The only thing that stopped her howling was giving her major affection which always brought on loads of purring.

I wasn't given a choice on the spay date and they spayed her in the middle of the heat! That brought her out of heat immediately and upset her immensely. I don't know how long it would have lasted otherwise.. I wouldn't recommend spaying her while she is in heat though. I hear that it is dangerous. It took Bootsie two days to recover and she was growling and peeing outside of the box.

Anyways, I know how hard things are for you now. It will get better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I have noticed that she is sticking her but in the air, she was doing it all last night well early early this morning, and she took a big jump for a cat who doesnt like to go downstairs when I let her out of my room she sure was downstairs last night and every one was sleeping and she was upstairs meowing, although she didnt meow when she was downstairs at all lol. I go to sleep with meowing well when she finally stops in the early morning and I wake up with meowing lol i am going crazy !!!!!!!!!! So last night she was sticking her but in the ear and she was making noices with her mouth close so I tried to keep Bella from cleaning her last night it just wasnt going that well lol !

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got both my cats from the Humane Society at 7 weeks old and they were both spayed already.

I think it is nuts that some Vets won't spay or neuter until 6 months old.
That's crazy IMO.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my female cat went into heat earlier than they wanted to spay her, I had to take in and have her spay while she was in heat. The neighbors complained from about 2 houses down the street. Being Siamese probably didn't help when she yowled and meowed. Not to mention I couldn't take the constant yowling either. She was fixed right then an there.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch went into heat around 4 months! Actually she went into heat on Sunday and her spay appointment was that Tuesday! Fortunately it didn't last even till then.

Oh, and being in heat can make them do lots of crazy things. I had one cat, before I had her, who actually jumped right through a screen door. I mean litterally tore a hole in the screen and jumped out. She wanted out that bad. So her sudden boldness is not too suprising to me!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, and being in heat can make them do lots of crazy things. I had one cat, before I had her, who actually jumped right through a screen door. I mean litterally tore a hole in the screen and jumped out. She wanted out that bad. So her sudden boldness is not too suprising to me!
This is one reason why it is important to have your cat spayed as early as possible. To avoid the possibility of her coming back pregnant.

Katie

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

This is one reason why it is important to have your cat spayed as early as possible. To avoid the possibility of her coming back pregnant.

Katie
ya I know that we called but like i said their earliest appointment was january and my mom called either the end of november or begining of december, we had to wait for stormie to get better lol so soon as she was we called lol, we are usually on top of timing and i just never went through a female in heat we rescued all of other cats lol and we knew it would be soon but on sunday is when she actually turns 20 weeks lol so i thought it was a little early lol !

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not early at all. With the good nutrition available for cats nowadays, it's not at all uncommon for first heats to happen in the 5th or even the 4th month. It's like human girls are going into puberty earlier... same reason for us: We're well-nourished and we can "afford" it. As far as natural selection is concerned, the earlier you can become fertile and still survive, the better.

Cats in heat have been known to become regular Houdinis! I'd suggest doing a walk-through of your house, finding all openings that can be ripped through with claws and teeth, and closing them; also warning family members that your cat in heat may become bold enough to rush a door when it's opened.

tru87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah, you gotta watch out about your cat escaping... some call it boldness, I might agree but I call it temporary insanity lol.

When my older female went in heat, one day I was coming home.. expecting her to do her usual routine.... run to the door... roll over on the floor.. rub up against me... then go insane and break everything in the house.. but noooooooooo, she literally right across me and went out of the apartment lol... so really, be careful... right now, my cat doesn't consider the outside of our apartment but back then... she physically NEEDED an escape. so please, be careful.

And now, second cat.. a 6 month old male seems to be getting there... he hasn't went in heat... but his body and his age and his activity is suggesting... anytime now.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tru87

And now, second cat.. a 6 month old male seems to be getting there... he hasn't went in heat... but his body and his age and his activity is suggesting... anytime now.
Males don't go into heat. At 6 months he's more than old enough to get neutered now.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kandie went into heat at 4-4.5 months that was 18 yrs ago and I still remember the sounds....

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Annie Roses first heat was 2 days before she turned 4 months old. It only lasted 2 days. But up until I got her and got her spayed she had one every 2 weeks like clockwork for almost 3 years.

Kitten got spayed at 7 months and never went into heat.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I think that the heat process is over it only lasted a few days thank goodness I just hope that she doesnt go back into it by the time we go to the vet to get her fixed on the third that will be very tiring for me and the worst part is her and bella are seperated from the other animals most of the time (they all dont get along not only that but stormie is soo small and the big dogs they go out for a few hours 2 times a day lol and thats when they play) so what am I supposed to do after she reaches heat??? Also thanks everyone you guys were soo helpful I just hope it doesnt happen again lol but any suggestions on what I can do after she gets fixed that would be wonderful !!!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
so what am I supposed to do after she reaches heat??? Also thanks everyone you guys were soo helpful I just hope it doesnt happen again lol but any suggestions on what I can do after she gets fixed that would be wonderful !!!!
Chances are she won't have another heat before the 3rd, just keep an eye on her.

Once she has been spayed...she will probably need to remain calm as to not possibly tear her spay scar open.

Katie

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
O man we already made it to another heat cycle ugh....It started yesterday and boy am I tired and she is soo vocal now all the time!!! I am hoping that she is done by the 3rd her first heat went very very quick, so could this be why we already reentered the heat cycle
? I really hope its done by the 3rd, only a few more days till I mother her and some how keep bella from cleaning her
and I have no idea how I am going to do this I am assuming sleep when my mother is up and home
or does an one have an suggestions ?? Please help me because Bella is always with Stormie and Stormie and Bella are always playing (Stormie starts it of course) But how do I keep her from mothering her ecspecially when Stormies got stiches in her and everthing, and I just dont know !!! O man another heat cycle and I am going nuts keep your fingers crossed
that it will end soon please

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When is she scheduled for the spay? Hopefully soon - its not good for her to keep coming in/out of heat - it can cause pyrometria - so get her spayed very soon.