my 10 week old cat just peed all over my bed

buffyfan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was sitting there and so was my BF and we didn't even see her do it. He completely urinated ALL OVER my 200 dollar comforter that I just bought! How do I stop this from ever happening again? There are 2 litterboxes, 1 cat that was here before Cheeto came and they have been playing. and now this peeing stuff! He is unneutered, by the way, will neutering stop it? what can I do to make this not become a habit?

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first thing you need to do is get him to a vet to make sure he does NOT have a urinary tract infection.

After that, you can talk to your vet about neutering him.

What kind of a comforter was it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffyfan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
a nice, down comforter.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK. He is just a little kitten and he doesn't realize what he is doing.

What kind of litter are you using? You said that he got along with the other cat? No fighting? How many litter boxes do you have? Again, I would stress that perhaps you need to check with a the vet to make sure that the little one doesn't have a urinary tract infection. Cats are VERY clean animals and they seldom urinate or defecate in the wrong place without a good reason.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by buffyfan

I was sitting there and so was my BF and we didn't even see her do it. He completely urinated ALL OVER my 200 dollar comforter that I just bought! How do I stop this from ever happening again? There are 2 litterboxes, 1 cat that was here before Cheeto came and they have been playing. and now this peeing stuff! He is unneutered, by the way, will neutering stop it? what can I do to make this not become a habit?
First....you need to rule out anything "medical" which means a quick trip to the vet.

Second....2 litterboxes is great...for a cat who knows when he/she needs to go and can react in time to get to it. Kittens, like babies, need a little more latitude as far as accidents go. Do you have any litterboxes in your room?? If the answer is no...then I would place a "temporary' litterbox in there for a while.

You need to wash the comforter...or he will smell his scent on it and want to (instinctively) go there again.

Katie

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You gave the answer in your question - your boyfriend was sitting on it - and the cat's jealous. This is common, so if he's around, either ask him not to sit on it, or have a plastic cover that you can throw down on the bed.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs to see the vet..Generally there is no reason for a 10 week old to pee somewhere other than the litterbox.

I had a kit about the same age one time that did that and it turned out there was something seriously wrong with him, and they had to put him down..(I was younger and forget what it was)

Please have him checked out just in case

Good luck

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is just my experience, but kittens this young, it is generally rare that they have UTI. They haven't had time to develop such problems, and if they did have problems with this, they would have been sickly from the beginning. Chances are your kitten was scared or stressed at something, or it was just purely an accident. If the kitten was stressed, peeing on something that has your scent on it, combined by the kitten's scent will calm the kitten down. Be sure that you use an enzyme cleaner on all your top blankets (the urine w ill leak through) If you don't use the right cleaner, the kitten will continue peeing on the comforter drawn in by the scent of the urine left there. If the kitten had a UTI he would have peed small amounts, moved off, squatted, peed, moved, peed etc. Doesn't sound like this is the case here.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree with what has been said , sometimes weeing somewhere there not ment to can be a first sign of a problem , but alos it can be jealousy , i had one of my cats pee on my OH side of the bed once , but we had a female in heat (he was netured) so i think that was the reason there as the vet did not find anything wrong , then we had our 14 yr old cat wee on my Oh lap , we think he got jealouse because he was stroking one of our other cats and not him lol . it can be a number of things.
he is still young so it could have been just a one of accident , especialy if he was hyper, i agree put another litter tray in your room.
and wash ALL the bedding as it does seep through . hope it was just an accident and nothing medical

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I highly doubt he has a UTI at that young age. It was probably just as Hissy said, nerves or an accident. Add another box just to be safe. Buy a Feliway plug in for the room, keep the house calm so he doesn't stress.

Neutering isn't really the issue here for the peeing problem, but it is very important it gets done VERY SOON because if you wait until after he matures (after 6 months) he will start peeing and spraying all voer your stuff. So get it done ASAP, if the vet says to wait until 6 months, find a new vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffyfan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it happened again today and it was on a shirt. I actually saw him do it. He squatted and started to pee but I interrupted him with a firm NO and put him in the litterbox and he didn't resume peeing.

I contacted the place I adopted him from and asked to speak with the person who fostered this cat. I want to find out exactly what type of litter was used, the depth, the type of box and if this had ever happened before.

I also got feliway diffuser and am planning on neutering early next week. If the urinating continues after all those steps have been taken I am at a loss. Sadly, I will probably have to send him off to a no-kill shelter. I don't want to act hastily but I can't tolerate a house that reeks of cat urine. I really hope to not have to resort to giving up on the little guy. I love this cat already but am NOT a fan of the peeing.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you tried keeping him in a small room with a litter tray food and water , and also his toys? a laundrey room or a toliet ? just start from the begging with him , it could be terrotoral( sorry about the spelling) please try everything , take him for a quick trip to the vets just to make sure there is nothing wrong . his still a baby his in a new place . please dont give up on him untill you have tried everything .

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by buffyfan

it happened again today and it was on a shirt. I actually saw him do it. He squatted and started to pee but I interrupted him with a firm NO and put him in the litterbox and he didn't resume peeing.

I contacted the place I adopted him from and asked to speak with the person who fostered this cat. I want to find out exactly what type of litter was used, the depth, the type of box and if this had ever happened before.

I also got feliway diffuser and am planning on neutering early next week. If the urinating continues after all those steps have been taken I am at a loss. Sadly, I will probably have to send him off to a no-kill shelter. I don't want to act hastily but I can't tolerate a house that reeks of cat urine. I really hope to not have to resort to giving up on the little guy. I love this cat already but am NOT a fan of the peeing.
Interrupting him mid-pee isn't advisable, he is a baby and he is used to peeing wherever he feels comfortable. I find it so sad when cats and kittens are turned into shelters because of "peeing issues." It happens a lot, and there is no reason for it. Adding more litter pans, putting the kitten into a small room before and after he eats for a few hours, or letting another older cat become the teacher are much better options than putting this kitten into a high-stress area like a no-kill shelter

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Interrupting him mid-pee isn't advisable, he is a baby and he is used to peeing wherever he feels comfortable. I find it so sad when cats and kittens are turned into shelters because of "peeing issues." It happens a lot, and there is no reason for it. Adding more litter pans, putting the kitten into a small room before and after he eats for a few hours, or letting another older cat become the teacher are much better options than putting this kitten into a high-stress area like a no-kill shelter
Hissy is offering great advice
This is going to be a challenge - think of it as training for parenthood
(kittens are much, much easier, BTW)
As for the comforter, after you treat it with ZeroOdor, or whichever cleaner you use, wash it in a large, front-loader washer. Dry on PermPress or lower, and throw in at least 3 tennis balls, to keep it fluffy
I used to run a laundromat for my sister, and the dry cleaners would send the down comforters and sleeping bags to me

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are so many easily fixable reasons this could be happening, please try to figure out what's causing it before you give up on the little guy. There are lots of good suggestions in this thread; if I were you, I'd start by restricting the kitten to one room with a litter box the same size and shape and litter as he was using (I know you're checking on this), and keep the litter spotlessly clean (some cats are more fastidious than others and need a super clean box). Then go from there, identifying what works and doesn't work for him.

Although he does seem to be young for a UTI, having him checked out by the vet is still a good idea.

Please keep trying! We will help and encourage you every step of the way.