TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Lonely meowing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lonely meowing?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Sometimes Chessy wanders around meowing when he's not getting any attention. It's not for food, because he usually has it when he does this. He stops as soon as one of us goes over to him. I almost think he forgets where we are in the house, because it sounds like he is calling out. Even if we call out to him "Chessy, we're over here!", he still keeps meowing. I don't understand why he wouldn't come over to us if he wants attention. Do any other cats do this? The meowing itself doesn't bother me, but it makes me worry that he wanders around meowing for us when we're not home. Or am I being silly and he's just talking?
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny82 View Post
Sometimes Chessy wanders around meowing when he's not getting any attention. It's not for food, because he usually has it when he does this. He stops as soon as one of us goes over to him. I almost think he forgets where we are in the house, because it sounds like he is calling out. Even if we call out to him "Chessy, we're over here!", he still keeps meowing. I don't understand why he wouldn't come over to us if he wants attention. Do any other cats do this? The meowing itself doesn't bother me, but it makes me worry that he wanders around meowing for us when we're not home. Or am I being silly and he's just talking?
I once had a female British short hair that did the same thing. On the other hand, Persi never does this. It makes me think it is just part of a cat's unique personality.
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi View Post
it is just part of a cat's unique personality.
Agreed - Dino does the meowing thing, and rather pathectically I must say. He can be laying on the sofa, I sit down, he meows, I stroke him, then he meows.............I can walk away and he´s still meowing I´ve even seen him, sort of half asleep, and he does this pathectic mew.......he doesnt even open his eyes...........
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Okay, thanks...Chessy's sounds pretty pathetic too
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny82 View Post
Sometimes Chessy wanders around meowing when he's not getting any attention. It's not for food, because he usually has it when he does this. He stops as soon as one of us goes over to him. I almost think he forgets where we are in the house, because it sounds like he is calling out. Even if we call out to him "Chessy, we're over here!", he still keeps meowing. I don't understand why he wouldn't come over to us if he wants attention. Do any other cats do this? The meowing itself doesn't bother me, but it makes me worry that he wanders around meowing for us when we're not home. Or am I being silly and he's just talking?
I am always afraid that any meowing means my cats are sick or something. Am I crazy?
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl2good View Post
I am always afraid that any meowing means my cats are sick or something. Am I crazy?
Probably not! Certain cats like Siamese are known for being quite vocal about things while Persians are very laid back and not vocal at all, like my present cat. Naturally, I always worried about my other cat when she did this, but the vet just told me it was her nature, that it was very unlikely she was in pain.
post #7 of 13
My Kiko will do this same thing. He will be in another room and start meowing. He wont stop until I go to where he is and pick him up. I always find it amusing that he's got my # and uses it everyday!
post #8 of 13
Our Annabelle does this too, she sounds like her poor little heart is breaking
If we call out to her she comes running into the room where we are so we can pet her.
Once we make a bit of a fuss over her she happily goes about her business.
post #9 of 13
MooCow hated it when we were both on the computers and not paying any attention to him. He would often go into the kitchen (maybe because he knew the acoustics were better LOL) and meow LOUDLY to let us know he was displeased. I often thought he was quite silly for it!

When we put up webcams so we could check in on them while we were on vacation (we're worry warts), we never took them down and now use them to check in on them while we're at work. I can tell you... all they do is sleep, occasionally eat, and sometimes just sit and look around. No meowing or pacing in loneliness
post #10 of 13
My two do it, especially if i'm up here on the computer and their downstairs, so i usually end up standing at the top of the stairs calling their names and once they come running up their fine
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooCow View Post
When we put up webcams so we could check in on them while we were on vacation (we're worry warts), we never took them down and now use them to check in on them while we're at work. I can tell you... all they do is sleep, occasionally eat, and sometimes just sit and look around. No meowing or pacing in loneliness
That's good to know!
post #12 of 13
i think it's just personality too. my mother had a cat who wailed all the time and Abi only speaks when she wants food or wants to know where I am.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi View Post
Probably not! Certain cats like Siamese are known for being quite vocal about things while Persians are very laid back and not vocal at all, like my present cat. Naturally, I always worried about my other cat when she did this, but the vet just told me it was her nature, that it was very unlikely she was in pain.
thanks! y'all have made me feeel lots better!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Lonely meowing?