Am I the only one?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, as I read about cats who open presents and ruin trees I wonder if I'm the only one who has "well behaved" cats or if those other people like me just don't post cuz it's not interesting?!

Last year I skipped the tree because Wickett was less than a year old and I was afraid he'd destroy it. So, this year I get brave and get the decorations and Wickett thinks they are evil incarnate and won't go near any of them! He ran and hid when I pulled the tree out of the box. He came out as I was decorating but was very cautious. He ran and hid again when I put lights up in the family room and up the banister. He was so scared that even in the safetly of my arms he freaked out as soon as he saw the lights. Now he watches them flash and I wonder if he think the lights are plotting against him. LOL Frankie is very indifferent to pretty much everything (typical calico) and is unphased by everything except Wickett jumping on her head. Then last night I put together gift bags for my office party today and left them out so I'd remember them in the morning and they were just as I left them.

That's not to say he's perfect. In the last week he's had a spaz attack and pulled out router off the entertainment center twice. I swear if he could purpa would hurt him for it. LOL Nothing will make an IT guy more angry than damaged equipment. Fortunately it was fine but it still made daddy mad.

In the grand scheme of things though my kits are pretty well behaved. Espically compared to some of the trouble makers here... 8-bit come to mind.

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine love to chase each other around under the tree, getting themselves caught and messing up the bottom half. Most of the time, they leave the rest of it alone. We don't usually put presents under there until Christmas eve so they tend to leave them alone.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After the boys knocked the tree down the first time, they haven't done it again. I think it's gotten out of their system.

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put my little artificial tree up last weekend and so far all is good. Gizmo showed mild intrest in it at first but other than trying to bat at a couple of ornaments he really hasn't bothred it at all. As for the presents, well he completely ignores them, so it looks like Christmas trees are officially safe in the house.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My tree is still standing, however its not been decorated yet!!! And I caught Bakker drinking out of the watering can I had by the tree stand. All other decorations are still in place too.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't give mine the chance! Our presents are in the office closet and on top of a bookshelf, and our tree is in the basement, where they're only allowed under supervision.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 10 cats and with the exception of Takoda on the first day we put the tree up. He has left it untouched for the most part. They will run all around the tree and even hit a few of the ornaments and my garland at the bottom droops in places. It still looks as good as the very first day!

I have to admit it is a very BIG thick sturdy tree and what they do when we aren't here is anyones guess!

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4 of my cats are under a year old , the 2 4 month old will jump through the tree and the other 2 8 month olds will run around the bottom of it , lets just say the top of my tree looks lovely , the bottom half , well i shouldnt have bothered to decorate it lol , christmas eve i will sort it out and shut the door as the kittens i know for a fact will scratch open the presants , and the kids would be dissopointed. and they will probley be able to smell the cat nip and treats lol

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

So, as I read about cats who open presents and ruin trees I wonder if I'm the only one who has "well behaved" cats
or if those other people like me just don't post cuz it's not interesting?!
Last year I skipped the tree because Wickett was less than a year old and I was afraid he'd destroy it. So, this year I get brave and get the decorations and Wickett thinks they are evil incarnate and won't go near any of them! He ran and hid when I pulled the tree out of the box. He came out as I was decorating but was very cautious. He ran and hid again when I put lights up in the family room and up the banister. He was so scared that even in the safetly of my arms he freaked out as soon as he saw the lights. Now he watches them flash and I wonder if he think the lights are plotting against him. LOL Frankie is very indifferent to pretty much everything (typical calico) and is unphased by everything except Wickett jumping on her head. Then last night I put together gift bags for my office party today and left them out so I'd remember them in the morning and they were just as I left them.

That's not to say he's perfect. In the last week he's had a spaz attack and pulled out router off the entertainment center twice. I swear if he could purpa would hurt him for it. LOL Nothing will make an IT guy more angry than damaged equipment. Fortunately it was fine but it still made daddy mad.

In the grand scheme of things though my kits are pretty well behaved. Espically compared to some of the trouble makers here... 8-bit come to mind.
This is true, you very seldom see posts about well behaved cats! If I posted a thread that Persi has been a good boy all day long, this just is not interesting! I really do think the vast majority of cats are basically well behaved, but people don't post stuff like that on these forums. I also have a big interest in sports cars and belong to a forum dedicated to that and all you ever read about is problems people are having with their car. Nobody ever starts a thread on how good their car is running! That just would not be interesting, would it?

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the most part my older girls, Katie and Gracie, leave the tree alone although Katie has been known to climb it to see amidst the branches. Pete and Claire, whose first Xmas with me was last year, got into the tree once, made a big mess, then left it alone after that. Guess they got it out of their systems.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reeses has been pretty well behaved so far. When we first got the tree she was pawing at ornaments, trying to climb in the bottom of the treet and chewing on branches. Now she just likes sleeping under the tree, will ocassionally chew on one of the spindly branches on the underside of the tree, and maybe bats an ornament when the mood strikes. Actually more often than not she plays with the tree bag where the tree skirt doesn't cover. I'm fine with that
She did knock a ball off the tree yesterday and was playing with it but I can't find the hook...

Right now I'm just hoping she behaves when we start putting gifts under the tree. I don't want to have to rewrap anything on christmas morning, although I could just give it as is and say "Here, Reeses thought she'd get you started. Meowy Christmas!".

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, mine leave the tree alone, but they are OBSESSED with wrapped gifts, especially if said gifts happen to have curling ribbon they can chew on. And since the last thing I need is to have to rush one of them to the vet to have an ingested foreign body removed, I locked the gifts away. Small sacrifice, as long as I can have my tree!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OUrs won't touch the tree and for the most part leave the presents alone too.If a toy gets near the gifts, then while getting the toy, they accidently will put a hole in the wrapping paper.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Mine are wonderful. Except for the tree skirt. That has a tendency to move around a lot

But then I didn't have a tree for the first two years we had Lucy. Just didn't trust her rambunctiousness.