TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Career Change
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Career Change

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I'd like to hear some of your experiences with changing careers and how it worked out if you don't mind sharing!

I've been working for the government for almost 3 years, and I've hated my job the whole time. I've stayed here this long because I've made some really close friends and I've gotten some good raises. I was in a career program that was supposed to help you find a new job after 2 years, but all of the new jobs are in different cities. Now that I am married, and my husband likes his job, I don't want to move to a new city anymore. So I am kind of stuck.

Well my best friend, who is also my cousin, is the manager at a garden center and florist shop that her dad (my uncle) owns. Their florist just quit and my friend is stuck making all of the floral arrangements. I know she would give me a job doing that if I asked. I've worked there before and liked it more than my current job. There are some disadvantages though, for example, I think I would take a huge pay cut. But I'd rather make less money and be happy with what I do.

Do you think I should do it? I'm kind of scared to make a complete career change like that, but I am still young and my husband would support my decision. I really want to like my job. I'm thinking of leaving my current job right at my 3 year mark at the end of February. I can't talk to any of my friends at work about it obviously, because gossip spreads quick in an office. I guess I'm looking for a little support. Thanks guys!
post #2 of 17
You sound like me. I've worked at Verizon for 7 1/2 years (25 now, started straight out of high school) and I absolutely hate it. It's the one thing that with all that's awesome in my life, makes me completely miserable. I'd love to change careers but like you I'm afraid of the pay cut although I know we can handle a pretty hefty one. It's more just a matter of finding another job. With my having a disability that makes it tougher.

You already have something lined up so I would personally go for it. I agree 100% that money isn't as important as your overall happiness. It might take making some financial changes, but if it's still doable then I say go for it.
post #3 of 17
If you can afford to take the paycut to be in a job that makes you happy go for it!
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC View Post
You sound like me. I've worked at Verizon for 7 1/2 years (25 now, started straight out of high school) and I absolutely hate it. It's the one thing that with all that's awesome in my life, makes me completely miserable. I'd love to change careers but like you I'm afraid of the pay cut although I know we can handle a pretty hefty one. It's more just a matter of finding another job. With my having a disability that makes it tougher.

You already have something lined up so I would personally go for it. I agree 100% that money isn't as important as your overall happiness. It might take making some financial changes, but if it's still doable then I say go for it.
My job is the one thing that makes me miserable too. Have you found anything else you might like to do? Taking a pay cut is probably pretty hard, but I think it will just take some planning and really sticking to a budget.
post #5 of 17
I have been in a couple of jobs I hated (one with the government) and managed to get out, taking a small pay cut. It worked out fine, and led on to other things that I really liked doing, whereas I thought I was going to be stuck till I retired doing something I didn't believe in. I would do it if you can, but be very sure you know you can manage financially and with any other major changes like working hours.
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny82 View Post
My job is the one thing that makes me miserable too. Have you found anything else you might like to do? Taking a pay cut is probably pretty hard, but I think it will just take some planning and really sticking to a budget.
Well I'm sure a few people here have figured out that I like graphic design a bit and doing some video editing (just put together a little movie with reeses under Fur Pictures Only). I almost went to community college for that but it was either that or lose the job opportunity and my heart wasn't as in it at the time, so I stopped. The tough thing is that I know that field is really hard. A friend of mine has been out of work about 3 times in the last 3 years or so in that field. Also too, is paying for it. My job now with pay tuition but I don't know if I can deal with the stress of the job, my hours, and going to school.

Sorry to derail your thread and put it on me *lol*
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC View Post
Well I'm sure a few people here have figured out that I like graphic design a bit and doing some video editing (just put together a little movie with reeses under Fur Pictures Only). I almost went to community college for that but it was either that or lose the job opportunity and my heart wasn't as in it at the time, so I stopped. The tough thing is that I know that field is really hard. A friend of mine has been out of work about 3 times in the last 3 years or so in that field. Also too, is paying for it. My job now with pay tuition but I don't know if I can deal with the stress of the job, my hours, and going to school.

Sorry to derail your thread and put it on me *lol*
Don't be sorry, I asked everyone to share their experiences.
I don't think I could deal with my current job and going to school at the same time either. Life is too short to be miserable 8+ hours a day though...I hope you can find something.
post #8 of 17
I've been saying I want to find something else for the past 5 years atleast and I still haven't done it that much. It's hard to decide when you're miserable to the point that you've had enough. This might be it though. Another thing is the commute. I'm a straight shot 3 minutes away from work. It's hard to give that up
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC View Post
I've been saying I want to find something else for the past 5 years atleast and I still haven't done it that much. It's hard to decide when you're miserable to the point that you've had enough. This might be it though. Another thing is the commute. I'm a straight shot 3 minutes away from work. It's hard to give that up
Wow same here...I'm about 5-10 minutes from work! However the place I'm thinking of working is only about 10-15.
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyranson View Post
I have been in a couple of jobs I hated (one with the government) and managed to get out, taking a small pay cut. It worked out fine, and led on to other things that I really liked doing, whereas I thought I was going to be stuck till I retired doing something I didn't believe in. I would do it if you can, but be very sure you know you can manage financially and with any other major changes like working hours.
Thank you...hours are also something to consider. Right now my husband and I both work during the day Monday to Friday, which is nice. At my friend's garden center I probably wouldn't work nights, but I would definitely have to work some weekends.

Thanks also to Phenomsmom.

Oh I also just realized I wouldn't have a computer at work! I would just have to catch up on TCS and my emails at night.
post #11 of 17
My main reason for wanting to leave is not because of the actual job. What I have to do is fine. Pay is awesome, benefits are great, but we don't get sick days, and I'm sure you may have read about the absense/disability problems with them, and after 7 1/2 years I'm still working until 8pm or later, different shifts every day, weekends, no consistancy.
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC View Post
My main reason for wanting to leave is not because of the actual job. What I have to do is fine. Pay is awesome, benefits are great, but we don't get sick days, and I'm sure you may have read about the absense/disability problems with them, and after 7 1/2 years I'm still working until 8pm or later, different shifts every day, weekends, no consistancy.
I do remember one of your threads about that.

Do you think they would give you a better schedule if they knew you would leave otherwise?
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny82 View Post
I do remember one of your threads about that.

Do you think they would give you a better schedule if they knew you would leave otherwise?
No, my office is run by seniority, so the more seniority you have the better hours you get. Even after my time I'm still at the middle/bottom of the seniority list. Usually the earliest I can get is a 10:45-6:45, but as I said it changes every day. I can have a 10:45 one day, a 12-8 the next day, a split shift the next day (go in 8-12 then go back 4:30 - 8 that sort of thing).

My hope is that being at a company like Verizon for 7 1/2 years plus the computer/typing/customer service/people skills that I have, including the first year and a half I was with the company (but in a different office) I was a supervisor, that should give me some sort of edge. I was there and then left for the office I'm at now because the pay at the first office was terrible, but unfortunately by doing that I gave up my supervisor position (I was doing that in addition to my job) and the hours got worse. Had I known that the office would close a year and a half after I left and everyone would've been transferred to where I am now, I would've just stayed. I'd atleast still be a supervisor.

Plus my having a disability and companies having more pressure to hire people with disabilities... *lol*
post #14 of 17
If you are ever going to take job risks - do it while you are young!
If not, you may wake up at 40 and still be at that government job.

Switch with happiness...as long as your husband is supportive about it.
post #15 of 17
I did a carrier change late last year/eariler this year at age 48. My office closed 9-30-2005. After 20 years was ready for a change!!! I was contemplating leaving anyhow as there was no job movement available. I switched from finance to having my own landscaping business. Gardening has been my passion for quite some time so it was an easy choice to make. Financially we can do this without a problem. You need to sit down and do some number crunching as if a pay cut is going to happen you have to make sure you can live with the new income. I hit my sales target this year but after expenses there wasn't alot of "income" left over. However I am much more happy to be out of the whole office politics game.
Make a list of the pros and cons and see if you can come up with a decision that works.
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
I did a carrier change late last year/eariler this year at age 48. My office closed 9-30-2005. After 20 years was ready for a change!!! I was contemplating leaving anyhow as there was no job movement available. I switched from finance to having my own landscaping business. Gardening has been my passion for quite some time so it was an easy choice to make. Financially we can do this without a problem. You need to sit down and do some number crunching as if a pay cut is going to happen you have to make sure you can live with the new income. I hit my sales target this year but after expenses there wasn't alot of "income" left over. However I am much more happy to be out of the whole office politics game.
Make a list of the pros and cons and see if you can come up with a decision that works.
Good for you! Office politics are awful.

I just sent my friend a casual email asking if they were looking to replace their florist and she wrote she doesn't think so. I'll let everyone know what happens...
post #17 of 17
Like everyone said, if you can afford it..there is no reason not to..You need to be happy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Career Change