Cat torpedos wife of owner.

zabowes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Cat Sports Fans:

I am submitting this post for my neighbor.

They tell me they have a Himilayan cat that they have owned for about 5 years. A female, spayed, and the only cat in the home.

Recently, she has started attacking the wife of the house, by doing the following.

The cat has had equal attention from both of them so it not like only one has fed or paid attention to it.

When the wife is sitting down, most anytime, the cat will run full speed and head butt her in the stomach. When she reaches to either pet or remove the cat, gets bitten almost everytime. They took her to the vet a week ago and the vet says he really doesn't see anything wrong. The cat will do this as long as she sits down. The wife has to have a pillow in front of her to avoid the punch the cat gives. This goes on all night and day.

Any suggestions that may help?

Thank you in advance.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be watching with interest to see who has an answer for you as I am sure you will get one. Meanwhile, as a Himmy owner, I have never heard of this particular kind of behavior.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has this cat been watching Spanish bullfighting, perhaps, and thinks she is a bull?

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Has this cat been watching Spanish bullfighting, perhaps, and thinks she is a bull?
Or Turner in Hooch at the part when Hooch keeps ramming the door

"Hey if a dog can do it, why can't I?"

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll bet you a bundle the lady's pregnant (and may not know it yet) - many animals can often tell (no one knows how except that they can 'pick up on' hormones somehow) and may be jealous! Let us know if you find out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zabowes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Cat fans:

Some of the answers people gave were really funny.

Anyhow, I asked and she is 41 years of age, had their last child 10 years ago and only recently started Menopause.

If that has anything to do with it, only the cat would know. They have tried catnip and that seems to exacerbate the situation.

When I was over there talking to her, all of sudden, kapow, the cat let her have it. I have never seen a furball move that fast.

Anyhow, any assistance will be greatfully appreciated.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zabowes

Anyhow, I asked and she is 41 years of age, had their last child 10 years ago and only recently started Menopause.
Afraid to be the bearer of bad news, but a woman is usually in menopause until her 50's! Just because she's started menopause doesn't mean she can't still get pregnant.

I'd suggest she have a pregnancy test done. My vote is that she's pregnant too.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Perhaps some feliway plug in diffusers and maybe also some rescue remedy to help calm the cat.

Menopause also is a hormonal upset and the cat may be picking up on that.

It sounds pretty painful. Buy that poor woman a shield!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's awfully early to be menopausal - something more serious could be going on and the cat knows it. I'd get checked out if I were her... it wouldn't be the first time something else was found that shouldn't be there.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Well, it's awfully early to be menopausal - something more serious could be going on and the cat knows it. I'd get checked out if I were her... it wouldn't be the first time something else was found that shouldn't be there.
That's what I was thinking. While woman go thru hormonal changes that lead up to menopause, 40 is still young for that. Animals have a way of sensing things in people that is uncanny.

(and btw....menopause is when menses stops completely. Perimenopause is the hormonal changes that lead up to it. I didn't know the difference until I started the latter and read up on it)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Well, it's awfully early to be menopausal
I've been having menopausal symptoms since I was in my mid 20's. I have polycystic ovary syndrome which causes cysts to grow on my ovaries and creates a hormonal imbalance. So it's possible for someone who is 40 to be having perimenopause.

However, it's also possible that the symptoms could be related to something more serious than either perimenopause or polycystic ovary, or pregnancy.

Has there been any further updates? Has she been to a doctor to get checked out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zabowes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Cat Sports Fans:

I have just received a resolution to the problem that I posted some time ago.

Now, don't drop a litter box on me, but this is what I was told.

She went to the doctor as suggested, nothing abnormal was found, however, in doing so, she of course had to dress up some what for the appointment.

When she came home, the cat did not attack any more.

So in the interest of science, she put back on the slacks that had been purchased from a store going out of business, and they were made in Thailand.
and had been worn during all this problematic time.
The kitty started doing it all over again. Must be something in the slack material that aggrevates the cat.

I found it hard to believe, but, when I visited and she did not have those slacks on, kitty was very quiet.

A new one on me.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - that's actually pretty interesting. Must be something IN the slacks or used to MAKE the slacks.

Or the kitty is protesting that they were made in a sweatshop, LOL!