Wet food vs. dry & vomiting problems

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat, Sweetie, has a vomiting problem, but only after eating wet food. I feed her Nine Lives chunky wet and dry IAMS and meow mix. I have had her to the vet and she can't find anything wrong. This happens immediately after eating wet food. Of course she prefers the wet but does not vomit after eating dry. I always have the dry available for her. I should mention that I have two cats and they both eat out of the same bowls. I've tried seperate but it didn't work, they still shared. My question is, could Sweetie be gulping her food because she is afraid the other cat will eat it all? the other cat, Juno, is feral and will not let me pick her up so its almost impossible to put her in a different room while Sweetie eats. My other question is: whats a good wet food for these kitties.

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not too familiar with 9 Lives but I don't think it's a very high quality food, take a look at the ingredients, you want to stay away from things like meat by-products and corn. We feed our cats: Merricks, Innova, Wellness, and Healthy Balance.

Her vomiting could be due to her eating too fast, but it also could be due to a food allergy or simply the quality of food. I'd try a couple other brands and see if that helps. If the vomiting continues, you might consider splitting up the wet food into multiple bowls, they may still share, but they'll be forced to go to more bowls if they want the food.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be that she is eating too fast, or that there is something in the food she is allergic too.
Try feeding her smaller portions, like a tablespoon or so, at a time and see if it still happens.
If she still vomits, look for another wet food (Sharky will have the best advice of which to try).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Quite possible ... how old is kitty ?? so I can recommend age appr foods ...

High end wet food can be purchased many places ... for the decent to good the grocery has some of the reformulated Iams( chn and beef come to mind) , Meow mix and Natural life

Do you go to a big box pet store?? ie petco petsmart petland??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sweetie is approximately 18 mo. I do have access to all the stores mentioned and am going to try a high quality food. I have no idea what she was fed before I got her. She and a kitten were found in a cardboard box with the lid on in 90 degree weather. She lives up to her name, she is so loving and I hate to see her not eat well. Thanks to all for the good advice

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will pm you a more through list ...

cheack out

Nutro
Solid gold
Natural balence
Authority
Blue spa
Pet gold elite
Meow mix pouches

the above are wet if you wnat dry also just holler

calamintha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try a better brand of cat food such as Nutro which you can find at places like Petsmart and pet stores. If she still vomits I would consult with the vet to make sure their is nothing physically wrong. It may be however that you will need to separate the cats when you feed the dry food.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it turns out the vomitting is caused by eating too quickly, one way to slow her down is to put ping pong balls in her food. They have to eat around the ball, slowing them down.

heidinyny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi,
i had problems with my baby vomiting, as well.
turns out she has food allergies to dry and wet food with ingredients of corn, soy, gluten and possibly rice and egg... plus possibly more which i have yet to pinpoint.
good luck with your kittie and let us know how she is doing,
heidi

fluffee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to my world.

My smallest cat Daisy is the same way. She eats all her wet food, pushes the 2 male cats away from their's and then eats it. Trys to come into the bedroom to throw it all up and we have cleaning duty. My stepdaughter will sometimes stand over the cats when they are eating and make sure Daisy does not eat all of them. We keep Iams dry down all the time. With 4 it works well for us.

9-lives works for us owners of mutts, but purebloods have too many problems for such commerial food.

Just reduce her intake and see if that helps. Daisy will demand human food when we have some and we will give her a little, but not enough to satify her<g>

Fluffee-typing with my cat's help on the keyboard

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fluffee

Welcome to my world.

My smallest cat Daisy is the same way. She eats all her wet food, pushes the 2 male cats away from their's and then eats it. Trys to come into the bedroom to throw it all up and we have cleaning duty. My stepdaughter will sometimes stand over the cats when they are eating and make sure Daisy does not eat all of them. We keep Iams dry down all the time. With 4 it works well for us.

9-lives works for us owners of mutts, but purebloods have too many problems for such commerial food.

Just reduce her intake and see if that helps. Daisy will demand human food when we have some and we will give her a little, but not enough to satify her<g>

Fluffee-typing with my cat's help on the keyboard
Darling

I have too mutts ... one eats the highest end dry I can buy for her and shell eat ... the other eats raw canned homemade and is eating off a chinese medicine chart ... SO YES mutts or MOGGIES should be feed well... 9 lives is like feeding a baby mc donalds ...

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Darling

I have too mutts ... one eats the highest end dry I can buy for her and shell eat ... the other eats raw canned homemade and is eating off a chinese medicine chart ... SO YES mutts or MOGGIES should be feed well... 9 lives is like feeding a baby mc donalds ...
Do you feel the same about Friskies canned, low carb varieties and special diet (low magnesium)? That is what I feed my boys because its the best I can afford, and they are both doing really well on it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TrixtersMomma

Do you feel the same about Friskies canned, low carb varieties and special diet (low magnesium)? That is what I feed my boys because its the best I can afford, and they are both doing really well on it.
If meat by products or chicken by products are in it ... yeah they arent great ... I can give you a list of good quaility that wont break the bank ... are low end wet foods better than low end dry foods... YES

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought IAMS canned to try instead of Nine Lives. So far no vomitting. Sharky, I copied down your list and took it to Petco. I wanted to try a few different brands to see what was best. Next try will be Nutro. Sweetie also likes dry Iams, but my feral, Juno, likes Meow mix. Of course Juno, will eat anything since she spent 5 months outdoors with her mom cat eating whatever they could find. My daughter feeds the mom and a male feral cat and is trying to trap them for TNR before the next breeding season. Thanks for the feeding advice.

fluffee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sharky,

I mean no disrespect in calling my babies "mutts". In horses we call that being a "graded" mare or gelding. And good cow pony is usually a "graded" mare or gelding and the best to have around.

I have tried others with them(Iams, Science Hill) and they turn their noses up. I am going to see about getting some samples of the Royal Canin and see if they will eat that one. I am always looking to improve.. but if they will not eat it, I will not force it on them.

You sound somewhat like me.. these are my babies, from my 6lbs "petite" little one to Figgit who is now 14 lbs and survivialed a broken skull(our vet did not give her a chance and was surprised to see her 2 weeks later after surgery looking good and healthy).

Thanks for the ideas everyone gives on here, as I am always looking for better ways to keep them healthy.

thanks

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats vomits if all I give him is dry food (Jake). I'm not sure what it is.... but either way I would try feeding him 1 brand of food and stick to it. Such as Nutro or Max Cat (also made by nutro) dry and wet. Or if you stick with IAMS use both the IAMS dry and wet.