Out of sadness came some knowledge.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When i go to Gils for a few days, although Rosie and Sophie are checked by a friend everyday for their food, litter etc... i hate to think of them in the dark at night
So i thought on my next visit i would leave the bedside lamp on a timer for them, that was until this thread was posted in Crossing the Bridge

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=108426

Then Ann (Mooficat) pm'd me and told me to get some night lights like she uses for her babies. I rang one of the electrical suppliers who we deal with at work and questioned him about them, and he confirmed what Ann said their very safe because their just a small watt, and that i could leave them on everyday if i wanted

So, i bought these last night, plugged them in and their brilliant!!!!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/9829079.htm

They have a sensor on them where as soon as it get's dusk they come on, and when it gets light in the mornings they switch themselves off.

Yet again this site never fails to amaze me on the knowledge that we can all share

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats cannot read, and they see much MUCH better than we do.

There is also sufficient light pollution around to let them get around in the near-dark (of course they cannot see in total darkness.)

The post about the lamp fire was tragic. I leave all lights off when I am not home and am thinking of unplugging electrical appliances as well (they really should be when not in use to save energy.)

I don't worry about Gizmo tripping over her feet in the dark.

If you have any halogen lamps, get rid of them. They are a serious fire hazard. I knew a person who died in a fire caused by one, and one of the studios I worked for had to be evacuated one day when a halogen lamp set off the alarms (a piece of paper blew onto the bulb.) There are safer, lower intensity lights available. Yet any electrical short circuit can cause a fire (don't run wires under carpet, ever, and check to see that wiring is safe before plugging something in.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

Cats cannot read
Must remember to take my " OK " magazine with me

Call it a comfort thing that i leave a light on for the girls when i'm not there, even for my piece of mind

And halogen lamps, yes i have them but their in the ceiling in the kitchen and i've had those sort of lights for about 6 years.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The flourescent light on my stove is never turned off. It is our "night light". I also have a night light in our bathroom (as we older ladies know, one must sometimes get up in the middle of the night, get up in the middle of the night or get up in the middle of the night
) that also has the sensor and comes on after dark. It has the deodorizer fluid in it as well so serves several functions.

alikatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Susan. The sargent actually told us about the 3 way lamps. They have one in their living room and he told them to get rid of it. It's the kind that has the large upside down shade at the top, and open, and it has a 3 way dimmer on it. He said the lamps get incredibly hot, and are beyond a fire hazard. My brother had just been in there not a few hours before on the computer visiting with them since Jay was pretty upset about being neutered. He didn't think about the lamp being hot enough, and I hate what happened. It's tragic, but hopefully it does make people think about what they may leave on to comfort their kitties.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will certainly have to check into nightlights. I leave at least 1 lamp on in every room, when I go to sleep. I know cats can see better than us, but not in total darkness. And I always hated the idea of them wandering around in the dark.

The post in CB was extremely sad and very tragic and certainly had me rethinking the idea of lamps on all night. Thank you, Susan and Moofi for the nightlight idea.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

I have night lights all over my house I have always used them . I have them in every room, My DH used to think I was nuts
Mine still thinks Im nuts for the lamps and Im sure the idea will continue on with nightlights.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep nightlights everywhere because I have absolutely no depth perception in the darkness & walk around like a zombie stomping my feet. I like the ones that come on at night & off during the day.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for those poor cats. Unfortunately your brother had the very worst sort of halogen lamp--a standing floor lamp. I wish those things were outlawed. They are extremely unsafe.

alikatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

I am so sorry for those poor cats. Unfortunately your brother had the very worst sort of halogen lamp--a standing floor lamp. I wish those things were outlawed. They are extremely unsafe.
It was actually a halogen desklamp that was knocked off the desk, onto a futon. The firefighter just happened to see the floor lamp in the living room, and informed us about how unsafe they actually are.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very sorry about the cats and condolences to your family too. I also have nightlights. I got some from a drugstore chain that never blow out because there are not bulbs in it. I don't know how it works, but it is never hot. I have one in my bedroom.

AirWick also has a scent/nightlight combination and I have them in the kitty litter room and in the kitchen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

I don't know how it works, but it is never hot. .
From what i was told from our electrical supplier it's an LED lamp. We use them at work all the time as my company manufactures all sorts of signs and lighting.

I had one on last night and the glow they give off is really good

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

AirWick also has a scent/nightlight combination and I have them in the kitty litter room and in the kitchen.
Someone please repute me on this, but I've read that the scented nightlights are also fire hazards. They use oils which are close to an electrical supply. If I can find a link to what I read I'll post it.

The cat bowls are in the bathrooms and I have night lights near their bowls. I also have one in our main hallway. My husband hates them (he claims the cats have perfect night vision), but frankly, I'm old and don't like to fumble in the dark when (as an older woman), have to stumble to the bathroom at 3AM.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

When i go to Gils for a few days, although Rosie and Sophie are checked by a friend everyday for their food, litter etc... i hate to think of them in the dark at night
So i thought on my next visit i would leave the bedside lamp on a timer for them, that was until this thread was posted in Crossing the Bridge

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=108426

Then Ann (Mooficat) pm'd me and told me to get some night lights like she uses for her babies. I rang one of the electrical suppliers who we deal with at work and questioned him about them, and he confirmed what Ann said their very safe because their just a small watt, and that i could leave them on everyday if i wanted

So, i bought these last night, plugged them in and their brilliant!!!!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/9829079.htm

They have a sensor on them where as soon as it get's dusk they come on, and when it gets light in the mornings they switch themselves off.

Yet again this site never fails to amaze me on the knowledge that we can all share
Thanks for sharing all this info. Very valuable.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just to furter the knowledge:
I just did some looking around on the internet, and it seems that it's the halogen trilights that are highly dangerous. Not to say that an incandescent blub couldn't light on fire, but from what I can find the risk is really in a halogen bulb.

Another thing we can learn to practise here is energy conservation. Having nightlights in (especially the low wattage ones) instead of leaving lights on will really help mother earth.

stay safe this christmas hugs to you all

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All our lights are on timers programmed through the computer. They plug into x-10 controllers. Lights can be set to come on or go off at specific times. I have lights come on right before I get up and come on again before I get home from work. They can be programmed differently for every day of the week. There is also a controller box, like a remote, to turn them on/off manually. I have one button on the remote that turns on four things for the holiday: the Christmas tree lights, holiday lights on the stairwell, in the kitchen and a small tree on the kitchen table.
I am not a fan of halogen lights, they run too hot and with all the LED technology and energy saving fluorescent bulbs out now, they really are outdated and unsafe, I feel bad for those two kitties. Fire awareness around this time of the year is a good reminder.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

The flourescent light on my stove is never turned off. It is our "night light". I also have a night light in our bathroom (as we older ladies know, one must sometimes get up in the middle of the night, get up in the middle of the night or get up in the middle of the night
) that also has the sensor and comes on after dark. It has the deodorizer fluid in it as well so serves several functions.
Everything you said is exactly what I was thinking! I even have to sometimes get up in the middle of the night right after getting up in the middle of the night.

Our stove light stays on 24/7 as well.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Someone please repute me on this, but I've read that the scented nightlights are also fire hazards. They use oils which are close to an electrical supply. If I can find a link to what I read I'll post it.
Is this what you were thinking of?
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/glade.asp

I use nightlights in the cat room, they come on at dusk automatically.