Biting

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok Now that Nazumi is getting more comfortable here and is relaxing hes started to bite alot! He's just playing but he's 13 lbs and so its not like trying to stop a kitten from biting. Everything Ive done so far hasnt helped. Some background on him. He came from a hoarding/kitten mill. I adopted him after him and some other cats were siezed from their owner. His mom is a Bengal dad is unknown. Probably just some DSH. Overall hes very sweet. Its only when he is playing or angry that he goes after me. He bites HARD and scratches with his back legs at the same time. When I try and give him a toy or ignore him he keeps coming at me attacking whatever part he can. Either in play or in anger. Ive tried using a spray bottle (he likes water), shaking a can of pennies (doesnt faze him), scruffing him and ignoring him. When I scruff him he just flips around until he can scratch me with his back legs. Hes bigger then my arms so its not that hard for him. When I ignore him like I said he just bites my leg and jumps up and bites my butt. If I try to distract him with a toy he keeps coming at me. Anyone know some way that I can stop him from doing this. I know he just wants to play most of the time but it hurts and he needs to learn playing like that isnt ok. BTW Hes only 6 months old.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bella is like that if it is my hand she is biting or scratching I pull it away and tell her no usually she tries to swat me then but then I go on doing something else I think she is learning a little bit, but stormie the kitten o man she doesnt listen to the spray bottle but bella runs when that comes out Stormie doesnt listen tho she goes to attack/bite me then i tell her no thats bad and point my finger at her and she stops so i dont know what else to tell u im sorry if this is no help, this is just my experience with biting!

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd try time-outs with him, though it sounds like it might be painful to get him there!

What toys have your tried distracting him with? The biting and rabbit kicking is a common kill method for cats (at least, that's my understanding), maybe he wants to hunt, try a laser pointer!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You must work to correct this behavior - for your sake and his.

As water and noise haven't helped, try hissing. Stare at his forehead (not his eyes) angrily and HISS. Blow a short, sharp puff of air in his face. This is a language he may understand.

Also, if he has a grip on you, push IN, don't pull out. This forces his mouth open. Remove whatever appendage while hissing at him, then blow in his face. And then turn your back to him and walk away. If he chases you and grabs/bites/kicks again - continue the hissing/blowing while getting the two of you to a room where you can leave him on his own.

The idea is to get him to learn that biting you is not OK and continuing to kick or bite only leaves him alone - it doesn't get him attention.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jkrodger

I'd try time-outs with him, though it sounds like it might be painful to get him there!

What toys have your tried distracting him with? The biting and rabbit kicking is a common kill method for cats (at least, that's my understanding), maybe he wants to hunt, try a laser pointer!
Ive tried time outs. He will just fall asleep and come out crazier then ever.
Toys Ive used.....
Feather toys (the ones on poles)
Balls
String
Stuffed Animals (so he can kick as much as he wants)
I really think what he needs is for another cat to play with him rough. He is trying to play most of the time. But my girls are scared of him. Annie Rose is only 5 lbs and Kitten is 7 1/2 lbs. Hes 13 lbs (probably more now) and he just gallops around like an elephant. When he comes charging at them they get scared. If hes calm they are fine with him.

Originally Posted by LDG

You must work to correct this behavior - for your sake and his.

As water and noise haven't helped, try hissing. Stare at his forehead (not his eyes) angrily and HISS. Blow a short, sharp puff of air in his face. This is a language he may understand.

Also, if he has a grip on you, push IN, don't pull out. This forces his mouth open. Remove whatever appendage while hissing at him, then blow in his face. And then turn your back to him and walk away. If he chases you and grabs/bites/kicks again - continue the hissing/blowing while getting the two of you to a room where you can leave him on his own.

The idea is to get him to learn that biting you is not OK and continuing to kick or bite only leaves him alone - it doesn't get him attention.
Thanks! I'll try the hissing and blowing. Im seriously scratched up now and not just on my hands. Also on my legs and rear end. He likes to pounce on my rear as I walk along.
I will try see if I can lure him into his room when hes being a brat. I love him to pieces but Ive never gotten a cat this big that had biting problems. Actually Ive never had a cat this big period!