Shed Enders?

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone here tried the shed ender? They have shown infomercials for them, but now are selling them in stores. Did it work well? Waste of money? I was thinking about getting one for the cats, and my longhaired dog but didn't want to get it if people have tried it and it didn't work well.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it works REALLY WELL on longhaired cats and dogs. But not short hairs. I think Zoom Groom works better on shorthaired animals. I ordered on online for 11.95 and then I got lucky and found one at a garage sale for 50 cents. So I have two and I love them as do my long haired Himalayan and Sheltie!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most of my cats are short haired, so it doesn't work well on short haired cats?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I don't think so. But it depends on the type of coat. One of mine has really thick coarse fur that is short and it happens to work well on her. But I don't think it works on the others. On the other hand, it has worked well on all the long haired animals I tried it on except for Willoughby who is actually medium haired but some areas are pretty long, but his fur is really thin and no undercoat so it really doesn't work well.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Shed Ender works really well on Gizmo, but she likes the Zoom Groom better.

I go over her with the Zoom Groom to get the big masses of hair; the Shed Ender is better for finishing work. But I don't like the fact that you can't reverse the head. Since Gizmo will only lie in certain directions, I have to brush her lefthanded.

you don't have the southpaw problem with the zoom groom.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea but have wondered myself. The zoom groom doesn't barely touch the shedding issue with my long haired babes

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering this same thing myself - I saw the Shed Ender on TV today - but have heard really good things about the Zoom Groom - since my boys are short haired - I think Im going to try the Zoom Groom out ... hopefully it works!

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am pretty sure my friend is getting me a Shed Ender for x mas..lol, so i guess if i could get both.

I am left handed! lol, so the fact you can't reverse the heads is no problem for me.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, but if your cat lies on the wrong side, you'd have to use your RIGHT hand...
The head on a Shed Ender only faces one way. So, depending on whether your cat is lying on her side (Gizmo will not let me brush her unless she is lying down in her kitty palace, like she is in the picture here). One side only is available. In this picture, I can brush her right handed. If she lies on her right side, I have to brush her lefthanded. Just reverse the equation for southpaws.

Zoom Grooms work in both directions; they look foolish but they DO work. They are designed more for large masses of hair though. I find the Shed Ender works very well, and is also surprisingly well made.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where could I get the Zoom Groom from? Do they sell them at Petsmart, or do I have to order it online? Having both would probably be good. I could use the shed ender for longhaired cats/dog, and zoom groom for my shorthaired cats.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101

Where could I get the Zoom Groom from? Do they sell them at Petsmart, or do I have to order it online? Having both would probably be good. I could use the shed ender for longhaired cats/dog, and zoom groom for my shorthaired cats.
I got mine at either Petco or Petsmart (sorry I go to both so I don't remember which one it was).

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

I got mine at either Petco or Petsmart (sorry I go to both so I don't remember which one it was).
I go to PetSmart and I know they have them there!

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shed Ender works miracles with my 2 Maine Coon mixes. I combed Bickford last night and it was like taking off half a cat
The Zoom Groom worked well with my short haired cat but doesn't do as well with the long haired cats.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got the shed ender already! I think it works great, and it did a good job on most of the shorthaired cats too..but it did the best of my longhaired cats!!

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought one a couple of months ago, but I'm disappointed with it. It does get out a lot of hair, but it's a very slow process, and I think it pulls the skin a little too much - my cats will only let me work on them with it for a minute or so, then they'll get annoyed & leave.

The Zoom Groom removes just as much loose fur much more quickly and my cats love it and will sit still for brushing as long as I feel like brushing them. It is messier - the fur flies around, instead of being tightly contained by the shed ender comb, but since the cats like the Zoom Groom better, that's what I'll stick with. They do rule, after all.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought the zoom groom today. I like it for the effectiveness on remove the loose fur. But as someone else mentioned the fur does fly while using it. I will stick with it for a while then I think I will upgrade to the furminator.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found it worked well on Levi who has a short coat, but a double coat. It works well on Isaac (Double coat & long hair), but since he HATES being combed or brushed it works about as well as other things. Jordan & Maggie with single coats & short hiar doesn't work at all. The thing is none of my guys really like it so it's difficult for me to use on them.