For Those of you who wear contacts- what brand do you use??

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now i'm trying to decide on a new brand of contacts. I have been using the Acuview one a days...but here's the problem- they are extremly unbreathable, flimsy, and uncomfortable. I started using those a few years go when I had a virous in my eyes and could only wear them to swim practic/cheerleading. I had to take them out afterwards and couldn't reuse them at the time by doctors orders. / I have cronic dry eye and sever eye allergies- so my eyes are always drying my contacts out and making them itchy and uncomfortable. Now comes the super fun part: I'm allergic to silicon. (i found that out one day at swim practice when i borrowed someones goggles that were coated in silicon- it was aweful!!!). The bad thing is - all of the newer more "breathable" contacts are made out of silicone. The only contacts made without silicone that are remotely breathable are the Acuview one a days and the Focus daily wear lenses - both are extremly uncomfortable though and aren't that breathable....the Focus ones were worse for me than the acuview were. / On Tuesday when I went to the eye doctor for the scratch on my eye, he said it was ok to wear contacts since it was healed up. He wanted me to try the O2 Optix and just see what my reaction was to them. They are silicone based, but use a different kind so that is supposed to make them more breathable/comfortable or something along those lines. I have to go back to the eye doctor tomorrow and let him know how i like them. At the moment- they're driving me crazy, my eyes are dry, and itchy.
I'm starting to think that i can't wear these. So i might have to go back to the One a days
which i don't like eithor. I don't wear my contacts all of the time- i alternate between those and my glasses to rest my eyes and keep them from drying out too much. I'm also very good about cleaning them well, etc. So at the moment, i'm trying to get all the suggestions, etc i can from my fellow contact wearers. What brand do you wear? Do you have allergies or chronic dry eye? Do your contacts dry out a lot or are they comfy? I'm defintiely open to suggestions!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The ones I wear are called CV-43. They were the first ones I had and I still love them. I switched to a different eye doctor once and they tried me in ones that were supposed to be equal to them but a different brand and they were awful. I couldn't go more than 2 hours without some discomfort. So I got back to the good ol change em out every 3 months kind and I've been fine ever since.

I'm waiting for my new lenses to come in. These are supposed to be like a generic or just non-designer lable for the cv-43's. I just hope they are as comfortable!

I'm not sure exactly what they are made of though. I did just get put on eye drops for eye allergies. The dr said I have bumps under my eyelid, which actually I know my cousin's have also so I wasn't too suprised. Supposidly that is what is causing my eyes to water lately. We'll see though. I've been using the sample bottle he gave me for a week now and no change and they sting a bit when I first put the drops in. If I don't see improvement soon....well no more of these things for me! I went to walmart's pharmacy to pick up the prscrip of them, 5ml cost me $60! And I don't really think I need it or that it is even helping! So we'll see if I keep them up long!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

The ones I wear are called CV-43. They were the first ones I had and I still love them. I switched to a different eye doctor once and they tried me in ones that were supposed to be equal to them but a different brand and they were awful. I couldn't go more than 2 hours without some discomfort. So I got back to the good ol change em out every 3 months kind and I've been fine ever since.

I'm waiting for my new lenses to come in. These are supposed to be like a generic or just non-designer lable for the cv-43's. I just hope they are as comfortable!

I'm not sure exactly what they are made of though. I did just get put on eye drops for eye allergies. The dr said I have bumps under my eyelid, which actually I know my cousin's have also so I wasn't too suprised. Supposidly that is what is causing my eyes to water lately. We'll see though. I've been using the sample bottle he gave me for a week now and no change and they sting a bit when I first put the drops in. If I don't see improvement soon....well no more of these things for me! I went to walmart's pharmacy to pick up the prscrip of them, 5ml cost me $60! And I don't really think I need it or that it is even helping! So we'll see if I keep them up long!
Those bumps you're talking about- those will go away sweetie- keep using your eye drops. (if you stop too soon, they won't go away). Once your eyes heal up, you will be a lot more comfortable
Definitley don't stop using the drops yet though. / Thanks for mentioning the contacts you use- are they hard contacts or soft?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow...ok, these contacts are killing my eyes. I think i'm gonna say "forget them" for the night and use my glasses.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

They are soft. The hard ones kinda freak me out!
me too...i just can't imagine those being comfortable

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use O-2 optics. They allow the eyes to breathe and you can wear them overnight also up to 6 days.

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Right now i'm trying to decide on a new brand of contacts. I have been using the Acuview one a days...but here's the problem- they are extremly unbreathable, flimsy, and uncomfortable.

Focus Day night wears are the best. They are expensive but they are so nice. I changed to another brand of day night wears and I hate them compared to the focus day night wears. Any way I could wear the focus day night wears for a month at a time without taking them out and my eyes still felt fine. Anyway you should ask your eye docter they will usually give you a trail pair to try. By the way I didn't like the focus daily wears either but I loved the day night wears. Here is a site you can read about them on http://www.allaboutvision.com/nightanddaycontacts/ Like I said they are way way better then the day wears you should give them a chance. However they are made of new silicone hydrogel material but it supplies six times more oxygen to your eye than ordinary soft extended wear contacts. I don't know if you are allgeric to the new kind it might be worth a shot if your not.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i can't remember, but i'll look when i get home & let you know. mine don't bother me at all - but i also wore hard contact lenses for 20 years & had no problems with those, either.
i've worn corrective lenses for 41 years. i'm legally blind without my glasses or lenses.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched to B & L's Purevision about a year ago and really like them. They tend to act more like semipermiables though...if mascara goes in my eye, my eye will start watering.

The thing I like best about them is that I have a slight astigmatism, but not enough to need toque lenses. So these make up the difference.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to wear B&L soflens 38 I think they call them. I wore them for almost 12 years with no problems. I do have allergies, but not dry eyes.