Why is this so hard?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for a new apartment to move into, and I honestly think this is one of the hardest things I have to do!
I hate calling around talking to rude management offices, and trying to make appointments for DH and I to look at places that are either too small, too big, the rent is to high ect! Can't someone just find a place for me and tell me I can move in when I want to!

Okay I'm going to calm down now.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure that it's on the list of very stressful ordinary life experiences. Personally, I hate it, and I don't know anyone who doesn't. I think I remember you saying that you've had to do it a lot in recent years; I think it only gets more wearing as time goes on, even if you get better at it.

Anyway, I know none of that is advice. Good apartment hunting vibes and a big hug going your way though, hon.

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been there too... where you are ready to rip out you hair you are so frustrated.

The hardest part I found would be finding a place that accepted my two babies. I wouldn't move until I found a place where I could keep Stanley and Sadie.

It seems every place is either right budget wise but too small... right size wise but waaay out of budget... right budget and perfect size but no cats... and the list goes on and on.

But trust me, there will be a place out there for you. You have to be patient (and yes, a LOT easier said than done) and take your time. Just think... at least you are finding out which places you don't want to live by having to talk to these boneheaded managers. And at least you don't have to be their tenant!

Good vibes going out to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just under a lot of stress right now. I started my new job, and it's not going as well as I thought that it would. I haven't been sleeping well, and now on top of all of this I have to find a new apartment. I really just want to curl up cry some days!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally feel your pain!!!! I hate everything about moving!

I've been wanting to move for the past 3 or 4 years but have kept resigning my lease because it's just "easier" than having to go through screening apartment after apartment etc.

Years ago I remember my Mom using a service in my City that actually did the leg work for you. You gave them the criteria you wanted and the price range and they looked for such places and called you with the addresses for you to go and view them. I can't remember how much it cost, but it was pretty reasonable and my Mom found 2 of our "homes" like that.

Unfortunately when I was looking for a place to live after graduation I tried seeking out such a company, but couldn't find one. A shame, because I suspect they would do a good business because looking for an apartment has to be one of the most tedious and time consuming things to do.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I'm looking for a new apartment to move into, and I honestly think this is one of the hardest things I have to do!
I hate calling around talking to rude management offices, and trying to make appointments for DH and I to look at places that are either too small, too big, the rent is to high ect! Can't someone just find a place for me and tell me I can move in when I want to!

Okay I'm going to calm down now.
This is the exact reason I havent moved from this place.That and Lily does not do well in new places. She hides, wont eat and runs out at night and marks everything.
I dont think Annie Rose would do well either.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to move as little as possible too, but I so know your pain.

I'm surprised that apartment managers are difficult. I've personally have never had a problem. Actually one laughed at me before I had cat (I had guinea pigs then). One group of complexes were owned by the same management and didn't allow fish tanks or small animals. Well without realising,
I asked "Do you allow caged animals?"
The lady responded "Umm..what do you mean by caged animals?"
Me: I have 2 guinea pigs in a cage
Her: "Oh...I thought you were talking about lions or exotic animals!!"

Anyhoo, if you're experiencing rude management, don't live there!! They'll probably be just as rude once you sign the lease!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try finding a place when you live outside a city population of 1000 that will accept 5 cats.
I don't know what I'm gonna do when I want to move out, because I've looked everywhere & the only place I found demanded that I COMPLETELY DECLAW all the cats.

Good luck in your search, I sure hope it's less futile than mine is/was.