Found out about Iams

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was talking to Charlie's breeder (my soon-to-be ocicat) and asked about what she was feeding. She used to feed Iams but now feeds Royal Cain. I asked her why? I've fed Iams for over 20 yrs and my rexes did well on it.

She told me that a few years back when Iams sold out to another company, they (new company) started cutting back on the quality and making it cheaper to be sold in grocery stores/WalMart. I new they had changed the formula a bit but the cats did ok with it.

So now I've decided to go with the Royal Cain and just get 2 bags at Petsmart and hope they last (its a 100 mile round trip so we can't go often). Can you order online? Does RC make a canned food too? I've had sample of RC and the cats liked it, but now that Charlie's coming, I'm switching over.

When Ling gets done with her Iams, then she will start on the RC.

Any thoughts/experience?

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Royal Canin is a great food....definatley better than IAMS. However, the truth is that IAMS didn't "sell out" to another company; it is still owned by Proctor & Gamble (same as Eukanuba). I just think they are cutting back on quality to make more money

calamintha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually Iams started out as a small independent company that was started by an animal nutrionist Paul Iams in 1946. It enjoyed an excellent reputation for many years as a quality food. It was not until 1999 that it was acquired by Proctor & Gamble and its reputation has suffered since then.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Calamintha

Actually Iams started out as a small independent company that was started by an animal nutrionist Paul Iams in 1946. It enjoyed an excellent reputation for many years as a quality food. It was not until 1999 that it was acquired by Proctor & Gamble and its reputation has suffered since then.
////
Iams and Eukanuba used to be VERY HIGH END foods now they just come with heafty $$

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
However, the truth is that IAMS didn't "sell out" to another company; it is still owned by Proctor & Gamble (same as Eukanuba). I just think they are cutting back on quality to make more money
That's interesting. I didn't know that Iams and Eukanuba were owned by the same company. I guess that's because I never but either one knowing that they aren't great foods.

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Calamintha

That does make sense....I always hear about people saying it used to be a good food. I really didn't know that it was sold to P&G that recently (1999 is more recent then I would have thought).

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is it about Royal Canin that is supposed to make it such a good food exactly? I got a sample of it in the post and I'm seeing the first five ingredients are Dehydrated chicken meat, rice, maize, maize gluten, and vegetable fibres

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wickedkitten

What is it about Royal Canin that is supposed to make it such a good food exactly? I got a sample of it in the post and I'm seeing the first five ingredients are Dehydrated chicken meat, rice, maize, maize gluten, and vegetable fibres
well I personally don't feel its that great of a food for the price, but definitely better than Iams

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats are on Royal Canin of one form or another!It is one of the better brands available and it is cheaper than Evo.

The beauty of Royal Canin is that it comes in many different shapes and forms - breed specific food (eg. Maine Coon and Persian) and the most expensive of the RC (here at least) is called Exigent. Guess what cat they have on the bag's cover? Abyssinians! When Stevie and Reecie were recovering from their allergies (they are allegic to mosquitoes)that was the only food they would eat!

You have to read the different labels for the different types of RC available in your area is my best suggestion. All my cats eat RC Persian (even tho only 1 is persian) and they are healthy, happy and have beautiful coats!

Another thing about RC is that they support the cat shows - big time! And that's great for breeders like me!

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

well I personally don't feel its that great of a food for the price, but definitely better than Iams
I'm looking at the iams kitten ingredients and the first 5 are Chicken, maize, animal fat, wheat, poultry meal.

I'm also looking at Nutro Kitten and the first 5 are

Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Plain Beet Pulp

Why is Iams worse? I'm genuinely curious because I've checked the ingredients list between the US Iams food and the UK one and it's totally different in that it doesn't have by products in it and I don't think we actually get stuff like Nutro and California wotzit over here.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm looking at the iams kitten ingredients and the first 5 are Chicken, maize, animal fat, wheat, poultry meal.

Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Plain Beet Pulp

Why is Iams worse? I'm genuinely curious because I've checked the ingredients list between the US Iams food and the UK one and it's totally different in that it doesn't have by products in it and I don't think we actually get stuff like Nutro and California wotzit over here.
Well my comment was based on that Iams in the US has by-products, I wasn't aware the the UK had a different formula

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E)woukd prefer just chicken but made in a plant with turkey so it is poultry , Dried Plain Beet Pulpcan be allergen but it keeps stool together and helps grow good bacteria

\\

Quick ingrediant guide

Chicken Mealmissing most water and fat stays the first ingrediant after cooking , takes five lbs of fresh chn to get one of meal , Ground Riceeasiest to digest grain for a cat , Corn Gluten Meal66-76% digestable as it is a plant protein , Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E)woukd prefer just chicken but made in a plant with turkey so it is poultry , Dried Plain Beet Pulpcan be allergen but it keeps stool together and helps grow good bacteria

I'm looking at the iams kitten ingredients and the first 5 are Chickengreat ingrediant but it really should be 5th or sixth beacause it looses 66% of its wt by cooking, maize30-50% digestable , animal fat whose and what is preserving it , wheatsee corn gluten meal, poultry mealgreat but why not first and I like my meats a bit more specific.[

Uk version is way better than Us version of this iams kitten