Previous owners revisiting cat they gave up

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ehhh I can't edit the title I see, that is CAT not GET

I posted a few days ago about Cuddles, the 12 year old cat who has never seen another cat in her life was give to me because her owners are moving and didn't find a place that allows cats. Anyways, I asked the previous owners for a blanket and they are coming by tomorrow to drop on off. Something that smells like home.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea for them to visit with her or would that set back the little progress I have already made with her? They asked if I thought it was a good idea or not and I said I will check and see. I don't want ehr to go back to the way she was the first day. But if it would be better for her if they came to visit that would be great.

What do you think?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
See how she handles the visit from her previous owners. If she takes a backslide, then don't let them see her until she is more adjusted in your home.

My guess is that she isn't going to respond any differently if they visit her. It's her new environment she is afraid of, and their visit isn't going to change that fear. Watch her reactions VERY closely both during and after the visit.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would let them see her, I wouldn't think it would cause problems for her, and NOT to let them see her may make them suspicious about her health or whereabouts!

I mean this cat wasn't neglected or abused, and her parents were very sad to have to give her up if I remember correctly? It would be distressing and worrying for them not to be allowed to see her, if it were me I'd be worrying that you'd sold her for vivisection or she'd got out and been hit by a car or something (fertile imagination).

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they didn't bother to find a place that accepts the cat they have had for 12 years, they don't deserve to visit with her, IMO. It's not worth it to jeopardize the progress you've made.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

See how she handles the visit from her previous owners. If she takes a backslide, then don't let them see her until she is more adjusted in your home.

My guess is that she isn't going to respond any differently if they visit her. It's her new environment she is afraid of, and their visit isn't going to change that fear. Watch her reactions VERY closely both during and after the visit.
I agree - I would let them see her. If I understand this correctly, they didn't want to give up the cat and made sure it went to a good home when they weren't allowed to keep it, so yes, why not let them see her and know she's in a safe place.

I also agree that it probably is the new environment, smells, etc. that she is reacting to. Regardless of the reason for her shyness, she will come around in her own time with or without the visit.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I agree - I would let them see her. If I understand this correctly, they didn't want to give up the cat and made sure it went to a good home when they weren't allowed to keep it, so yes, why not let them see her and know she's in a safe place.

I also agree that it probably is the new environment, smells, etc. that she is reacting to. Regardless of the reason for her shyness, she will come around in her own time with or without the visit.
I definitley agree! It would probably do the cat and the previous owner good seeing each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I thought it would be alright as my first instinct but the lady actually questioned whether it would be a good idea or not. The original intention was to take in her cat to rehome. But I have a feeling that isn't going to happen unless I can find someone who will work with her and is experienced with cats like her. I would ideally like to get her into a single cat home. Since she had never seen cats before in her life, and I have 7. It was either this or risk her going to a pound or being put to sleep or something.

But anyways, I will let them see her. It might do her good to see something familar, I will definately let them give her the blanket they are bringing over.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell at this remove whether it would cause the cat distress or not. I think it depends on how well you think she is adjusting to you. A visit from her previous owners might affect her either way.