Great News!!!! Three of the kittens got homes!!!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm soooo excited! I have some excellent news for all of ya'll. Three of the foster kittens, Magnum, Pirazzi, and Blazer- all found homes this week!
My friend Angela screeened the adoptors (so no worries, they weren't "Christmas presents" or anything of that nature) We screen potential adoptors very well.
Today they are all three getting neutered. I took the two remaining boys, Ruger and Kolar to the vet today. (She was out at our shelter doing a spay/neuter day). The vet said that Kolar has Herpes in his eye...and it's causing the conjunctivitious in it (the inflamation and oozing among other things.) She said that Ruger doesn't have it (i'm thinking maybe he's just a carrier). They both had tape worms- (when we dewormed them the first time, we just used strongid- it's used for a different type of worms.) So they have now had a one dose pill for the tape worms and it will be gone in no time
They have to go back to the vet next week for another exam to see how they're progressing. I will likely be keeping them a few more weeks until they are completly healed. There is no medicine for Herpes, so we are just treating them symptomatically- we're treating his eye with an antibiotic eye gel, and he's also getting a liquid antibitioc (clindi drops) as well. So hopefully Kolar will be better in no time
/ Little Ruger is looking good so far, so i'm very greatful for that! They're both in the kitchen now eating their lunch
/ Well, that's pretty much it- i just wanted to update on their three brothers and thank everyone for the vibes
They all three have awesome homes now!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great news! You might want to ask your vet about giving Kolar some lysine for the herpes. It helps slow down the reproduction of the virus. Prego takes some everyday. You can just crush a tablet and put it in the food. It doesn't have a taste, so they'll eat it right up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

That's fabulous Nikki, I wish we could all find homes for everyone of them, Glad to hear there going to a great furever home
Great Job also
Thankyou!! I'm just soo glad they got good homes
We're having such a huge success rate with our new Petsmart adoption center- it's awesome!!! They really went out of their way to help the local shelters

Originally Posted by PurrPaws

That is great news! You might want to ask your vet about giving Kolar some lysine for the herpes. It helps slow down the reproduction of the virus. Prego takes some everyday. You can just crush a tablet and put it in the food. It doesn't have a taste, so they'll eat it right up.
Already done!
About 3 years ago when I was volunteering at another shelter, i got introduced to L Lysene in our cat house when feeding our cats there. I LOVED the stuff and have ordered it ever since for my cats and my fosters
It really is an excellent product!
I'm glad to find another lysine fan out there
(also, did you know they make it in a powder? i love the powder...it's much easier to use than the tablet and you don't have to worry about crushing it up
)

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Petsmart here is a newer one and the gal who brings them in takes such great care of them, there's not alot like I have seen in some of the petsmarts and I mean lots. I don't know who it is I'll have to ask. I go in there and want to leave crying I just can't stand the thought of them not having someone to Love them...You guys are worth you weight in Gold and I mean that
I have alway's felt that there are alot of people that do care there just aren't enough people who care enough YET

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Way to go Nikki, you have done it again
Nurtured, socialized, cared for and then found forever homes

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What wonderful news! How many are you fostering? (Sorry, I'm not up on this!)

Flowerbelle was so far gone with problems from the Herpes virus when we rescued her that we ended up having to remove one of her eyes.
Our Doc found a Lysine paste made for cats. This was SUCH a relief because we couldn't get her to eat anything with the powder sprinkled in it.

The Lysine must REALLY work. Doc told us Flowerbelle would always be very susceptible to colds, etc. And she is almost NEVER sick!

Way to go on helping this kitties and finding them homes!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
God Bless you Nikki!
You really do good deeds all the time!

and congrats on the new babies finding a home!!!

I have to ask though, do you keep your fosters seperate from your pets? I don't know much about any of the illnesses you described, but I would be so worried about my babies getting sick or something.
How does that work? I've never fostered, but I've always thought it was an amazing thing to do, and if I ever had a big enough home, I've thought about possibly considering it....

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikki, that is so great!! The boys have found their new Meowmys and Purpaws!! WOO HOO!!!
As for the other two boys,I'm sure you'll have them back to good as new in no time! Sending lots of love to my God Babies and you too.HUGS!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

What wonderful news! How many are you fostering? (Sorry, I'm not up on this!)

Flowerbelle was so far gone with problems from the Herpes virus when we rescued her that we ended up having to remove one of her eyes. Our Doc found a Lysine paste made for cats. This was SUCH a relief because we couldn't get her to eat anything with the powder sprinkled in it.

The Lysine must REALLY work. Doc told us Flowerbelle would always be very susceptible to colds, etc. And she is almost NEVER sick!

Way to go on helping this kitties and finding them homes!
This litter was a litter of 5 boys- Ruger, Kolar, Magnum, Pirazzi, and Blazer. 3 of the boys were thriving extremly well and were ready, so they were put up for adoption this week. The other two are a bit sickly, so i'm going to be fostering them for a while longer.I'm sorry about your little Flowerbelle's eye. But thankfully, she sounds like she's doing much better with such you looking after her

Originally Posted by halfpint

Our Petsmart here is a newer one and the gal who brings them in takes such great care of them, there's not alot like I have seen in some of the petsmarts and I mean lots. I don't know who it is I'll have to ask. I go in there and want to leave crying I just can't stand the thought of them not having someone to Love them...You guys are worth you weight in Gold and I mean that. I have alway's felt that there are alot of people that do care there just aren't enough people who care enough YET
Thankyou! I appreciate that

Originally Posted by Pami

Way to go Nikki, you have done it again, Nurtured, socialized, cared for and then found forever homes
Thankyou
/ Our shelter is excellent about getting all of our animals properly spayed/neutered and vaccinated- we are soooo lucky to have such an awesome place around here
If it wasn't for that shelter, sooooooo many of those animals would be euthanized or have no homes to go to.

Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

God Bless you Nikki! You really do good deeds all the time!

and congrats on the new babies finding a home!!!

I have to ask though, do you keep your fosters seperate from your pets? I don't know much about any of the illnesses you described, but I would be so worried about my babies getting sick or something.How does that work? I've never fostered, but I've always thought it was an amazing thing to do, and if I ever had a big enough home, I've thought about possibly considering it....
Thankyou! I appreciate that. / And yes, all of my foster animals are kept completly seperate from my other animals. I keep my foster animals at Colin's house and my animals at my house. / Colin and I have one dog together- Fosters, that stays at the house- but he stays seperated from my fosters if they have anything contagious (such as ringworm or something else that dogs can get from cats,etc.) However, if the fosters are healthy and have clean bill of health from the vet, i do socialize them with the dog- and it is soooooooo important to do so. It ups their adoptability by a very large margine. Fosters is a very large, hyper dog (although extremly gentle with the kittens) so getting a feline used to a large animal at a young age and teaching them the proper reactions helps secure their adoptability into a new family that already has established animals
/ If however I am not able to keep my foster kittens at Colin's house and i'm really busy- I do keep them at my house- but they are kept completly seperate from my furbabies there and my kitties do not come in contact with them./ Also- all 4 of my girls are kept current on all vaccinations (some of which are optional- but since it foster, they're worth it just in case
)....so that helps as well.
So that's just a really brief intro to how it works fostering for me
If you have any more questions drop me a line!

Originally Posted by crittermom

Nikki, that is so great!! The boys have found their new Meowmys and Purpaws!! WOO HOO!!!
As for the other two boys,I'm sure you'll have them back to good as new in no time! Sending lots of love to my God Babies and you too.HUGS!
Thanks Tammy! I was sooo excited to hear the good news today
/ I'm really hoping Ruger and Kolar get better soon so that they can find their forever homes as well

Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Nikki, that's great news!!!
Thanks Susie! I'm really excited for them too

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YAY! I'm so happy to here the boys got good homes! Bagheera had herpes. You should put him on lysine. You can get it from any health store. It helps alot. Kitties with herpes also get URI's alot and can get eye ulcers and ulcers in their mouths. Outbreaks are usually brought on by stress. Bagheera had a couple of ulcers in his mouth and had tons of URI's before someone told us to put him on lysine. He didnt have any problems his last few months with any of that stuff.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOOHOO!

Herpes cats generally do awesomely well in homes and have few, if any, outbreaks when they're finally settled. I find that Herpes is so common and so easily treated and controlled that it's basically a non-issue
He'll also be more likely to be adopted if you call it "chronic upper respirtory" rather than "herpes". Herpes tends to scare people away, we've found, but we've had a whole rash of recent adoptions from our "chronic upper respirtory" room!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

YAY! I'm so happy to here the boys got good homes! Bagheera had herpes. You should put him on lysine. You can get it from any health store. It helps alot. Kitties with herpes also get URI's alot and can get eye ulcers and ulcers in their mouths. Outbreaks are usually brought on by stress. Bagheera had a couple of ulcers in his mouth and had tons of URI's before someone told us to put him on lysine. He didnt have any problems his last few months with any of that stuff.
All of my kitties are on Llysene
I have used it for several years now for my girls as well as my fosters.
That stuff is so nice!

Originally Posted by lionessrampant

WOOHOO!

Herpes cats generally do awesomely well in homes and have few, if any, outbreaks when they're finally settled. I find that Herpes is so common and so easily treated and controlled that it's basically a non-issue
He'll also be more likely to be adopted if you call it "chronic upper respirtory" rather than "herpes". Herpes tends to scare people away, we've found, but we've had a whole rash of recent adoptions from our "chronic upper respirtory" room!
I've fostered quite a few furbabies with it, so i'm pretty used to treating it at this point
/ We're very picky about how we do our adoptions and often tell our adoptors about upper respirator infects, and anything else they have a question on when adoptiong. We would never post anything about Herpes on their id cards- i agree with you- it tends to turn people away. Instead, if we have someone interested in adopting- we talk about the kitty their interested in and their medical history- we explaine everthing very detailed (and if they have a question about herpes, we are honest about it- we've never had someone turn down a kitty for that
) I agree with you- it is very common and usually pretty treatable depending on the specific kitty

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's AWESOME Nikki!!! Thanks for the education!
I've always wondered how that would work.... and I've always thought it was such a wonderful thing to do!
I'm so happy you found homes for 3 of them!!!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

T

Already done!
About 3 years ago when I was volunteering at another shelter, i got introduced to L Lysene in our cat house when feeding our cats there. I LOVED the stuff and have ordered it ever since for my cats and my fosters
It really is an excellent product!
I'm glad to find another lysine fan out there
(also, did you know they make it in a powder? i love the powder...it's much easier to use than the tablet and you don't have to worry about crushing it up
)
Where do you get the powder? I've been buying tablet at Wal-Mart and crushing them up every night. DH thinks I should get a mortar and pestle and crush a whole bunch at once and then measure out the proper amount.

I know what you mean about the herpes thing scaring people. People always look at me funny when I mention my cat has a herpes virus! I think it's because people associate the term with genital warts in humans.