Ragdoll vs Himalayan

tlp127

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I am torn between 2 adorable kittens. One is a Ragdoll, the other Himalayan. Can someone give me any thoughts on what might make one a better choice over the other? I have 2 kids, 5 & 8, and we have 3 dogs, a Golden Retriever, a Goldendoodle and a Cocker Spaniel. All of the dogs are very easy going and gentle. With all of the Golden hair, I'm hoping to find a cat that doesn't shed to much. The Ragdoll is $250 more. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmmmm I dont know the answer. Maybe seeing which one is better around children and dogs?
I really dont know. Good Luck with your decision and I cant wait to hear what you decide.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't take this the wrong way but both choices are long haired...both will shed and the maintenance will be more or less the same as your dogs...may I recommend an Abyssinian???

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raggies do shed less, coat is easier to maintain - not daily combing needed. I think I'd go with the raggie - they also get bigger then himis. Himalayans average 9-11 lbs; whereas the ragdolls get much larger - 15+ lbs. Ragdolls would hold their own better with the dogs IMO.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tlp127

Hi,

I am torn between 2 adorable kittens. One is a Ragdoll, the other Himalayan. Can someone give me any thoughts on what might make one a better choice over the other? I have 2 kids, 5 & 8, and we have 3 dogs, a Golden Retriever, a Goldendoodle and a Cocker Spaniel. All of the dogs are very easy going and gentle. With all of the Golden hair,
I'm hoping to find a cat that doesn't shed to much
. The Ragdoll is $250 more. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Below is a photo of my Himmy, aged 8 months. I am very proud to say he does not shed ONE BIT but that is only because I spend so much time combing him every morning. And I mean I get a handfull every day, just at look at that tail. People that are not willing to put this much time into a longhaired should look at shorthaireds, seriously.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You know, when I said I didn't like the faces of himmies, that was excluding Dear Persi. He's Dukes longhaired-soul-littermate though, so I'm biased!

What I meant was the persian look. Peked I think its called? But thats my own personal preference.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why I stick to shorthair cats - the LH's are pretty to look at, but I don't have the time/patience to be grooming every day

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With that much going on in your house, I'd vote for the Ragdoll too. They're usually very laid back and are great with children and other animals. As far as coat maintenance, they're definitely easier than a Himalayan. From what I understand, Himalayans require daily brushing & are prone to matting? The Ragdoll coat resists matting, and shedding is less. My girl Sabina is a RagaMuffin (very similar in coat and temperment to Ragdolls), and I comb her anywhere from once a day to once every few days (especially under her arms).

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another vote for a raggie here! As said they require less maintance (from what I hear, I'm only stating what I know of raggies, and heard of himis, I have never had a himi, but I raise ragdolls) Their coats vary, they should be a more medium coat then long, except tail, neck, ect. They are supposed to have rabbit soft fur and less mating. The ones with the longer coats to look more like himi and persians are more out crossed. My queen has the shorter coat and it's been busy here I have to admit she hasn't seen a brush in atleast a month
Not one matt on her any where. My spayed girl has the longer coat, so she gets brushed more often, she will matt under her arm, so for now she has only being brushed about once a week
. I also feel they are wonderful with children, don't know about himi temperment with children, i'm sure they are good too, but my four year old loves ours, she tries so hard to carry them around, but since they all weigh 12 pounds and up she just drags them, they never bite or scratch or even try and get away to hide. They do tend to bond more with one member then the rest and will follow them from room to room, (although when their person isn't available any lap will do) mine all catch me in the bathroom, they know I am immobile, so I have to pet them so I have 5 little peeping toms watching me pee. They act like dogs, if some one knocks on the door the run and greet who ever it is. I don't have a dog, but most of the new families that have adopted kittens from me do have dogs and other cats and said they have adjusted really well and really quickly to their families, so I find they are easier to adjust to any new living situation, from an only pet in an apartment to one of many cats and dogs in a huge farm house.
I sold a kitten to some one one this site, and they have other cats a dog and a puppy, and now he plays with the puppy and chase each other, I don't think it was a long time adjusting either. I do feel a ragdoll will be a better choice, but I don't think you will be dissapointed with either breed they are both great cats
Good luck, and post pics when you get one (especially if you get a raggie
)

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Don't take this the wrong way but both choices are long haired...both will shed and the maintenance will be more or less the same as your dogs...may I recommend an Abyssinian???
I'm the same way, some one asks "what should I get, a siamese or a scottish fold" and I am always the one to say, "get a ragdoll!" I am so biast!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

You know, when I said I didn't like the faces of himmies, that was excluding Dear Persi. He's Dukes longhaired-soul-littermate though, so I'm biased!

What I meant was the persian look. Peked I think its called? But thats my own personal preference.
Himmies ARE Persians.

I may not prefer or like the looks of your cat but I surely wouldn't say that on a cat site forum where there are so many people with different types of cats. Even though it isn't exactly what is said, to me it's just like telling someone their baby is ugly. I don't expect everyone to prefer or want a Persian but Some things are better left unsaid.

Ok, now that I got that off my chest.... I have 3 very nice, beautiful Persians. I love Ragdolls too though. In fact I love all cats. But my Persians all have different fur textures/needs. Peaches and Jake now only need combing/brushing a couple times a week. Jazzy sheds and mats more and he gets combed more often. But they all do shed. Heck, I've heard folks on this forum who's short haired cats shed as much or more then mine. Persians are also pretty laid back cats. Everyone is always amazed when they come over and how laid back my kitties are. That said, I agree with some of the others that a Ragdoll may be a better choice for you. Because they tend to be bigger and you have children. And they may shed slightly less, although I'm not completely convinced of this. It really depends on the coat. I had a calico Persian a while back that had a really silky and bit thinner coat and she never shed or matted.
Guess that wasn't much help!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With persians the coat type varies a lot - especially in certain colors re: combing/matting. The Whites tend to have a cottony coat that mats easily and requires more grooming. I think the blues and creams also have a "more maintence" coat.

The blacks have a slicker coat that seems not to mat as easily.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

With persians the coat type varies a lot - especially in certain colors re: combing/matting. The Whites tend to have a cottony coat that mats easily and requires more grooming. I think the blues and creams also have a "more maintence" coat.

The blacks have a slicker coat that seems not to mat as easily.
Yep! Jazzy is a Cameo (very close to white) and he's the one of mine that mats a lot and has such a thick coat.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Himmies ARE Persians.

I may not prefer or like the looks of your cat but I surely wouldn't say that on a cat site forum where there are so many people with different types of cats. Even though it isn't exactly what is said, to me it's just like telling someone their baby is ugly. I don't expect everyone to prefer or want a Persian but Some things are better left unsaid.
I totally agree Tammie. I know a few people on this site that would be offended and hurt if someone said that about their Himmy baby.

myfirstragdoll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
People who said Ragdolls shed less , this isn't true at all I have a 2 yr old Bi Color He sheds ALOT!!! But i would still vote for a Ragdoll!!

glamourpuss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I totally agree Tammie. I know a few people on this site that would be offended and hurt if someone said that about their Himmy baby.
I'm sure no offense was meant by tiffanyjbt's post. Just a personal preference was being noted, we're not all the same, we have likes and dislikes! When comparing the physical differences between a persian/himmi and a ragdoll, the shape of the face is an obvious difference - some people are bound to prefer one to the other.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you glamourpuss!

I really didn't mean any offense and since I (and everyone else here) was asked for my opinion, I gave it. I don't understand how its wrong to give my opinion. I never said that persians were ugly (and I know that himmies are persians). I would never say that (because I don't believe that). But I don't like the look and there are a lot of people on this site who have said the same thing in the past. I'm not going to censor my opinion because you've taken this personally, because its not personal.

I will say it again, "I don't like the face of himmies, but thats MY OWN PERSONAL PREFERENCE".

I'm sorry if you took offense, but I'm not sorry I said it.

Persians are like Scotch... Its an aquired taste. Maybe after I meet a few more in person they will grow on me... Feel free to ship me a few of yours!

I also want to add that my husband and I have 'rescued' a baby opossum that we initially thought were ugly, but now I find them to be adorable!

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyFirstRagdoll

People who said Ragdolls shed less , this isn't true at all I have a 2 yr old Bi Color He sheds ALOT!!! But i would still vote for a Ragdoll!!
Do you have a himi? Does it shed less then the ragdoll? I don't think any one is saying they shed less then a shorthaired cat or don't shed. They are long haired, there will be some shedding, any one with long haired cats knows that. I think the point we are making is that they tend to shed less then a himi/persian, and mabey some other breeds of long haired cats,not that they don't shed or shed less then a siamese or some thing. I had a short haired cat that shed way more then any of my rags, but it was shorter hair and was less noticable then the long hairs every where. Mostly what is being said is they tend
to shed less then himis and matt less. All cats shed (except mabey a sphynx, since they have no hair) and that is expected. A himi should be brushed every day mabey a couple times every day, and raggies can get a way with less frequent brushing.

I don't think any one on this wonderful site means to offend any one, every one is pretty conciderate of others, so please don't take any ones personal prefrences personal
I love ragdolls, but would never care to have a solid raggie, I don't feel they are what we know for ragdolls, and prefer the pointed to the solids or minks for that matter, but just because I like them less doesn't mean I would ever try and convince ragdoll breeders not to own or breed solids. I just wouldn't want one, that's my prefrence. (I hope no one has a solid and takes offense, LOL! I don't think they are ugly or dislike them just wouldn't want one or breed them is alll) Same with other breeds, I'm just not going to mention them so those breed people don't think I am saying their babies are ugly
All cats and breeds are beautiful, thats why we love them they are cats no matter the coat lenth, texture, color, or the size of the cat, as long as we all continue to do what we do, and that is love and charish cats

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are Himmy/Persians without the peked face, Persi for example isn't peked faced.

I have only had experience with a Persian. He was a bi-colour black and white. He shed a LOT. I didn't have time to brush him daily, and he didn't like being brushed, so I brushed him every couple of days, and it was always a major ordeal. He just hated brushing.

I would pick a Ragdoll, however. My Persian died at a young age, and the Vet told me they're not as strong as other cats. I don't know if this was true or if it was a bias against Persians. He just told me, that if he were another breed, he might be able to save him, but because he was a Persian, he wasn't strong enough. However, I might consider a doll faced Persian. They might be a bit stronger, physically, I don't know. I love the look of a doll faced Persian.