Who likes to ice skate?!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE ice-skating! Ian's mom was a pro figure-skater and she did ice-capades and everything! Me, I was just put on skates at age 5, and actually got into free-style before I quit (was about 11 or 12 when I quit). So, I just wanted to share a few pictures of us ice-skating this afternoon:

There' the McCormick Tribune Plaza ice rink in Millennium Park. Seriously. Most gorgeous city EVER. The building Ian and I are getting married in is actually the brown building second from the left that's sort of shorter and hiding back between/behind the other two big buildings.

Oh, and that big silver blob on the right is Cloud Gate, or the Bean. It's artwork people, artwork!

Me and my honey waiting for the rink to be resurfaced

All the skaters

Me being a goof (so what else is new)

Me and my best friend, Cheryl

Me and Ian again

So who else likes to ice-skate? Anyone have any pretty pictures? I'd love to see them!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great pics! I haven't had a chance to check out the new rink at Millenium park yet but now I know what it looks like!

I do like ice skating but I VERY rarely get to go. I'm hoping to buy some skates soon, to encourage me to get to the rinks. Part of the reason I haven't gone often is because half the time I can't find rental skates that fit, and if they don't fit right I end up not being able to skate properly and hanging onto the rail the whole time :p
I really should get those skates, there's a rink about a mile away from my house...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to ice skate, but unfortunately, the only place in memphis with an ice ring closed town and was demolished several years ago, Mall of Memphis....aka..."mall of murder" - they had soooooo many people killed there that they completly closed it down and demolished it
The ice rink inside of it was gorgeous though. So now there's no place left in Memphis to ice skate. You have to go down to Mississippi if you wanna do that.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh! The last time I was on ice skates has to be when I was 17 or 18, which was back in the late 1970's, LOL I was never much good at skating. I had those silly girl's skates with the spikey tips and kept tripping on them, and when I managed to actually "skate", I couldn't stop unless I either fell or ran into something to stop myself. lol Plus my feet were always freezing despite wearing a ton of socks.

Roller skating was more my speed. 4 wheels and inside where it was warm!!!!

Those pictures are beautiful. It doesn't look cold enough there to keep the ice frozen. I see in one pic the ice shavings have actually melted off the blades and I don't see any snow on the bushes.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to when I was a kid in the stage coach days back in Ohio lol. My DH can roller blade tried to buy me some when we got married, I told him trying to ride the bike on the bay walk is like looking death in the eye, and I don't mean for me I mean for the people trying to walk around the bay walk. We used to live in San Diego and man he must have been trying to get rid of me, I was so sore, No more can't do it lol

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't stay up on skates of any kind roller, ice, whatever. I have the same malady when it comes to water skiing...or snow skiing for that matter
I have a kajillion pictures of the bean, though!

Great pictures!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Those pictures are beautiful. It doesn't look cold enough there to keep the ice frozen. I see in one pic the ice shavings have actually melted off the blades and I don't see any snow on the bushes.
Yeah it was about 45 here yesterday and it's supposed to be even warmer today.

We had about half a foot of snow on the ground until this heat wave happened! And before this, we were having wind chills that were like -13. Now it's 50. But that's what they say about the weather in Chicago: if you don't like it, wait 5 minutes. Then it will be different.

I myself am partial to the snow. Give me a 30 degree day and a foot of snow over sunny and hot any day!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What beautiful pics! With nieces and nephews who love to ice and roller skate, I have the opportunity often. But unfortunately I cant stay on my feet ice skating
But I can roller skate!